The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The idol of today pushes the hero of yesterday out of our recollection; and will, in turn, be supplanted by his successor of... Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 81,432
The idol of today pushes the hero of yesterday out of our recollection; and will, in turn, be supplanted by his successor of tomorrow.

Washington Irving (1783-1859)
KSPavan
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:58:15 AM

Neurons: 3,154,763
Quotation of the Day

The idol of today pushes the hero of yesterday out of our recollection; and will, in turn, be supplanted by his successor of tomorrow.

Bully_rus
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:34:53 AM

Neurons: 218,796
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. Some measure time by minutes and days, some - by the means of idols and heroes...
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:23:04 AM

Neurons: 272,150
Daemon wrote:

Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:23:59 AM

Neurons: 272,150
That's the way of life.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 8:24:28 AM

Neurons: 684,056
Baum was an American author of more than 70 children's books who is best known for penning The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. He moved from New York to South Dakota in 1888. When his newspaper there failed, he moved to Illinois and found work as a journalist. His first children's book, Mother Goose in Prose (1897), was followed by Father Goose: His Book, an immediate bestseller.

Oops.

Anyway, someone should explain the message of the quote to today's youngsters.
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:54:03 AM

Neurons: 445,873
monamagda
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 12:52:16 PM

Neurons: 5,143,959

Context from : "Westminster Abbey" - The Complete Works of Washington Irving: Short Stories

I endeavored to form some arrangement in my mind of the objects I had been contemplating, but found they were already fallen into
indistinctness and confusion. Names, inscriptions, trophies, had all become confounded in my recollection, though I had scarcely taken
my foot from off the threshold. What, thought I, is this vast assemblage of sepulchres but a treasury of humiliation; a huge pile
of reiterated homilies on the emptiness of renown, and the certainty of oblivion! It is, indeed, the empire of death; his great shadowy palace, where he sits in state, mocking at the relics of human glory, and spreading dust and forgetfulness on the monuments of princes. How idle a boast, after all, is the immortality of a name! Time is ever silently turning over his pages; we are too much engrossed by the story of the present, to think of the characters and anecdotes that gave interest to the past; and each age is a volume thrown aside to be speedily forgotten. The idol of to-day pushes the hero of yesterday out of our recollection; and will, in turn, be supplanted by his successor of tomorrow. Our fathers, says Sir Thomas Brown, find their graves in our short memories, and sadly tell us how we may be buried in our survivors. History fades into fable; fact becomes clouded with doubt and controversy; the inscription moulders from the tablet; the statue falls from the pedestal. Columns, arches, pyramids, what are they but heaps of sand; and their epitaphs, but characters written in the dust?

http://pinkmonkey.com/dl/library1/irvng022.pdf

Alisson Souza
Posted: Wednesday, May 15, 2019 11:57:21 PM

Neurons: 254,727

In my own opinion, it is incredible thinking. Don't mention nor a lie.