The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A hammer and feather in vacuum Options
coag
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2019 2:55:23 PM

Neurons: 6,590
If you want to see a proof that a hammer and feather fall with the same speed in vacuum, you can see it at 1:47 into this video
Hear them sing 'Strolling on the moon' while on the moon.

I wonder how the astronauts got the feather. Did they bring it from the earth, just for the experiment? Anyway, a piece of paper would work instead of a feather.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 12:25:53 PM

Neurons: 205,402
I think he took his pet pigeon with him . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Sunday, June 2, 2019 9:02:50 AM

Neurons: 837,034
I'm certain he found in on the surface of the moon.... Where do you think he got it?
leonAzul
Posted: Friday, June 7, 2019 6:10:40 PM

Neurons: 29,650
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
I'm certain he found in on the surface of the moon.... Where do you think he got it?

Putting salt on a moonbird's tail

Whistle

"Make it go away, Mrs Whatsit," he whispered. "Make it go away. It's evil."
coag
Posted: Saturday, June 15, 2019 7:59:36 AM

Here is a story about the moon feathers. I don't know what Atlas Obscura (the source of the story) is, I just hope that their story is true.

Object of Intrigue: The Falcon Feather on the Moon

"Mission commander Dave Scott brought the feather to the moon in order to conduct an experiment.

Scott had been planning this experiment for the better part of a year. In January 1971, he and fellow Apollo 15 astronauts Jim Irwin and Al Worden visited the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, where they met the falcons that serve as the Academy’s mascots. Because their lunar module was named Falcon, they had decided to use a falcon feather for the Galileo experiment, and collected two feathers from an Academy bird during their visit.

As far as NASA knows, the hammer and the feather are still on the lunar surface— remnants of an experiment that had its origins in the 16th century, roughly 238,900 miles away."

Astronauts Worden, Scott, and Irwin with a falcon at the Air Force Academy in January 1971. (Photo: NASA)

The falcon feather left on the moon. (Photo: NASA)
rmberwin
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2019 7:25:09 PM

Neurons: 769
Another remarkable phenomenon is that a soda straw will not work in a vacuum. This is because the liquid in a straw will only move by producing a difference in air pressure between the lungs and the atmosphere.

"Great art should never be mushed up!!"
RSoul
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2019 2:26:43 PM

Neurons: 557
Honestly, NASA should clean up after themselves. Leaving all that crap on the Moon. Bloody baby space boomers! Shame on you

Ubuntu isn't Swahili for 'can't install Debian'.
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2019 3:34:41 PM

Neurons: 59,150
RSoul wrote:
Honestly, NASA should clean up after themselves. Leaving all that crap on the Moon. Bloody baby space boomers! Shame on you

Don't be too upset by it. After all, we're just following our instincts and marking our territory...Dancing

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
RSoul
Posted: Sunday, September 1, 2019 3:50:21 PM

FounDit wrote:
RSoul wrote:

Don't be too upset by it. After all, we're just following our instincts and marking our territory...Dancing

Do you work for NASA? If so could you get me Buzz Aldrin's autograph?

Blodybeef
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 3:47:54 AM

Neurons: 516,750
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I think he took his pet pigeon with him . . .

I wonder if homing pigeons would be able to find home from the moon? Or will they pine?

“Integrity is doing the right thing, even when no one is watching." ― C.S. Lewis
RSoul
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 8:59:45 AM

Blodybeef wrote:
I wonder if homing pigeons would be able to find home from the moon? Or will they pine?

My guess is that, if they could actually achieve a trans-Terran injection orbit in the first place, they'd die of asphyxiation, freeze solid, then burn up on re-entry.

thar
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 9:12:15 AM

Neurons: 82,572
Come on, try it. Just try it....

I think it seems to depend on whether it is that time of the month. Whistle
ie where the moon is in relation to the sun. It only catches the tail of the Earth's magnetic field - otherwise it is the solar wind dominating, so maybe it would fly towards the sun? Defrosted and fried pigeon.

that's what I get from this, at least.
https://www.nasa.gov/topics/moonmars/features/magnetotail_080416.html

coag
Posted: Sunday, September 22, 2019 4:03:15 PM

Some other interesting things about the moon.

The compass does not work on the moon. The moon does not have a magnetic field like the earth.

The moon moves away from the earth at a rate of about 4cm per year. (That's the present-day rate.)

It takes about 1 second for light to travel from the moon to the earth, 8 minutes from the sun and 4 years from the closest star (Proxima Centauri).