The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Extinction Rebellion Options
Hope123
Posted: Monday, April 22, 2019 8:34:53 PM

Neurons: 50,260
https://eand.co/the-three-causes-of-the-worlds-four-big-problems-e9fe49d89e3d

This is a true statement but I'm sure there will be some pushback from capitalists.

We call it “anthropgenic climate change”, but its more accurate to call it CCCC, or capitalism-caused climate change — social democracies are the ones reducing their emissions, and capitalist countries are the ones unable to..."

London, England leads the way.

Edit - I thought Earth Day was a good day to post this as we are all in it together to keep the planet viable for life.

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
progpen
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:42:35 AM

Neurons: 369,910
From the article: So there we were, watching Extinction Rebellion roll by. And one of my American friends remarked to me, “it’s not a surprise these — the first real climate change protests — are happening in London. They’d never happen back home.” She rolled her eyes.

She is absolutely right.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
progpen
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 1:45:02 PM

Neurons: 369,910
There is a common thread running through some of these current events we've been talking about. People are seeing the Extinction Rebellion as the "first real climate change protest" even though there have been hundreds of them just in the western hemisphere. People think the Green New Deal is new, even though it's been around for almost 20 years. And recently, here in this forum, there was a link to a video that had become popular on social media where the people were talking about how to reverse the damage being done to the US government and society, but everything they said and every suggestion they made had already been said by dozens (maybe more) progressives over the past 3 decades.

In the US, there has been an active and consistent censorship of progressive ideas in the mainstream media, and to a large extent, many large social media platforms. It looks like it has just taken these messages to reach a critical mass before the general public gets to see and hear them in spite of the censorship.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 4:15:17 PM

Proggy, I know you have pushed for Green for years and are well up on what is happening in the US to know that these concepts are not new at all.

It would be nice if at least parts of these movements were to take hold instead of them and those who think they are mostly good ideas and worth researching being ridiculed by those who listen to the capitalists mentioned in the above article without considering the consequences. Although I try not to be, I am afraid I am losing patience with denialists. I hope the Extinction Rebellion takes hold everywhere.

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 8:48:13 PM

It's an economic as well as an environmental problem and that will probably be what finally moves the dial.

This is Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. Waters are higher and flooding is worse than last year. Last year's damage took until this year to clean up.

A concerned citizen commented:

"Insurers will have to stop covering floodway properties. Banks will have to make hard decisions about uninsured mortgages. Private citizens are going to lose a lot."

And the Conservative governments taking over Canada are denying climate change exists, ON cancelled a Liberal Cap and Trade agreement with California losing 2B in auction revenue, and is suing the federal govt for a pollution tax where provinces without a program actually get a rebate for inflation. Other Conservative govts are fighting against anything to help as well. Sheer stupidity when the evidence is all around them.

I won't be around that many more years but my grans will have to cope better than this generation ever did - with their heads in the sand.