Neurons: 165,034
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 5:10:00 AM

Neurons: 538,110
Interesting. Thanks, Epi.

Blodybeef
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 6:14:47 AM

Neurons: 538,866
If humankind were pigs, mice, or ape, we would have been immortal, or at least we wouldn't have to worry about ilnesses.

In the meanwhile, check your peephole before opening the door in the middle of the night.

Your supper might have a disagreement with your middle section.

ozok
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 6:54:45 AM

Neurons: 2,210

Pestworld wrote:

A cockroach can live for a week without its head. Due to their open circulatory system, and the fact that they breathe through little holes in each of their body segments, they are not dependent on the mouth or head to breathe. The roach only dies because without a mouth, it can't drink water and dies of thirst.

Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 7:09:49 AM

Neurons: 4,719
Thanks, Epi!

Quote:

Fundamentally they were still dead brains.

The research transforms ideas about how the brain dies, which many thought happened quickly and irreversibly without a supply of oxygen.

Prof Nenad Sestan, a professor of neuroscience at Yale University, said: "Cell death in the brain occurs across a longer time window that we previously thought.

"What we are showing is the process of cell death is a gradual, stepwise process.

I am not a biologist, but I understand (please correct me if I am wrong) that individual cells can be kept "alive" by putting them on life support, and the corresponding technology has been in place for some time. So that's not new. What makes us alive is not functioning individual cells, it is the super-complex system of these cells that works as a whole. Correct?

From the quote above I understand that the only news about this is that individual cells die slower than scientists previously thought. Perhaps in certain situations this can help to keep the system together before it irreversibly falls apart (i.e. dies). So I guess the professional community may think these findings promising and useful.
towan52
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 9:00:28 AM

Neurons: 219,242
So the expression that Bacon and Eggs are, "Just a days work for hen, but a lifetime commitment for a pig" is no longer valid?
Kirill Vorobyov
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 9:11:58 AM

Neurons: 4,719
towan52 wrote:
So the expression that Bacon and Eggs are, "Just a days work for hen, but a lifetime commitment for a pig" is no longer valid?

I think it is valid. After the pig has been disintegrated its life is over and cannot be restarted, even if separate parts of its body can be animated by way of some sophisticated life-support manipulations.
taurine
Posted: Thursday, April 18, 2019 10:23:23 AM

Neurons: 129,196
I would not tamper with brains of animals used as a food. Mice, rats, apes, whatever else but not pigs.

When I was a child I had seen pig using his snout in a way similar to a plough towed behind a horse in the field. The pig was aware that any time soon was to be slaughtered. Wanted to convince the farmer that he can work just like horse. His snout was pierced through by means of a wire. This pig had been doing troves in the farmer's inner yard. A few days later was slaughtered.