The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Immigration Options
Buzzito
Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 12:49:33 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/28/2016
Posts: 104
Neurons: 774,111
Location: Bensalem, Pennsylvania, United States
Last year I became too busy to keep up with all the fine people of our northern neighbors in Canada. I did however, look up some data, discussion of immigration. Here is part of an article in The Atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/07/canada-immigration-success/564944/

<<As for illegal and irregular immigration, Canadian governments from both ends of the political spectrum have worked—quietly—to ensure there is as little of it as possible. The unspoken underpinning of Canada’s otherwise welcoming immigration policy is a giant and assiduously maintained border wall.

Wait, what? Yes, Canada has a border wall—in a sense. In fact, it has five of them. Four are geographic, the fifth is bureaucratic. All have been extremely effective in sustaining the legitimacy and popularity of Canada’s immigration policy.>>


Canada has not been so inactive as the US news media would have me believe, but the issue of immigration and the differences are apparently stark between our great countries. One distinction I believe, is the greater difference of illegal immigration that the USA deals with. It is a difference which incurs more crime, drugs, etc etc. It appears to me, that Canada like the US, prefer legal immigration. However, the rate of illegal immigration to the US appears to be greater than to Canada.

As an aside, I see that some have begun to share their insights that when Trump got elected (not comically tRump as one who is apparently has issues, uses on this site), their hatred had more to do with them than did the man Trump himself. Watch, there will be more revelations of this type, by those, who took a look into themselves, not those who immaturely inject a needless hatred into political dialogue.

An unexamined life is not worth living--Socrates(?) The first place to start is with ourselves. Take a look at that hatred. It has more to do with yourself than it does with our President Trump.





Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 9:02:19 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,925
Neurons: 51,153
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Hey, Buzzito, welcome back. It's been a while. I'll bite on this Eastern Canada opinion piece from "The Atlantic".

This article was written in July 2018 and strangely enough the border "crisis" has disappeared since the PM has issued a warning of a personal libel case against the Conservative leader for his lies and defamation, giving the Conservatives (Cons) a new talking point in the media before an October election.

Like US Republicans, the Cons had been trying to make a crisis out of border problems. 50,000 people in a year crossed from the US at unofficial points. Crossing there is legal in spite of the Safe Country Agreement with the US that some Canadians are saying should be rescinded because the US is no longer a safe country. (If they try to cross at official points they must be turned back because of that agreement.) Our real problem with our borders is the number of guns that slip past the border agents and the RCMP.

Since these people are refugees, the same as caravans at the Southern Border of the US, Canada follows it's international agreements, jails, vets, and humanely processes them properly to either stay or be sent back. There has been a backlog because of increased numbers from the US because of Trump's policies, but a recent budget has allocated money to process them faster and to look after them while here - including healthcare. Although those funds do not change social money numbers, many Conservatives resent these refugees and thus try to incite the electorate against the government. They will bring back the rhetoric when the current news cycle changes.

Many of these refugees are doing well, working, or even starting their own businesses. Some have even been heroes rescuing those in danger.

Immigration is altogether a different policy from refugees. As far as I know we do not get illegal aliens crossing as the US does. I've mentioned on the Forum before that every country has the right to decide who and how many may enter, and that the US might want to adopt similar to Canada's policy of choosing the best immigrants who will add to CDN society. They are well vetted. However, for a country of only 35+M people, 5 M in the last 20 years is a lot of immigrants to assimilate - but we need them for our economy.

Canada has always had its share of racism, misogyny, and violence but it has become worse lately and Trump giving white nationalism the nod has not helped. The world does not "hate" Trump for his immigration policies but for the way he carries them out. Separating children, preferring "whites" "from Sweden" instead of "browns" "from shithole countries". Etc.

I'm not a one issue person. My beefs about Trump are also the deregulating of the financial district. I'm waiting for another 2008 recession that affects the world. Then there's what he is doing to world economy with his tariffs and trade wars, the deregulating of clean air, food, and water, getting rid of scientists, and anti climate rhetoric and policies, affecting the planet again.

Canadians have been alerted to avoid buying food from the US because of this deregulation of food inspection, and the BGH in milk.

I feel sorry for Americans losing their healthcare, for them when they realized they were paying more tax, not less, and for the farmers and others losing their livelihood because of Trump's aforementioned trade wars and tariffs. I feel sorry for the American Puerto Ricans without help for their hurricane damages because they can't vote and strangely enough are not white.

Many Americans are embarrassed by the crass name calling, the lying, the inhumanity of his actions, and the narcissism of a man many suspect is beginning to lose it. It really is a concern to some that he has the nuclear codes. But I figure if we go we go.

So no, we don't "hate" Trump for his immigration policies. There are lots of other excellent reasons why we "hate" him. And it has to do with Trump's behaviour and character, not anything to do with us. I'm not even sure "hate" is the right word when he is only a politician, (except maybe for extremists).

But I have never disliked another human being who affected my life as much as I do Trump. Although there are recently a couple of CDN Conservative politicians who are running a close second.



The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 11:53:29 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,925
Neurons: 51,153
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Strangely enough I just came across this link from "The Atlantic" on Twitter.

We played golf for years and it is unheard of for honourable people to cheat at golf. Annoying when someone degrades the game.


https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/04/donald-trump-made-golf-gross-again/586633/

He cheats. He lies. He kicks. And not just his ball—yours, too. He props up a 2.8 handicap that’s faker than WrestleMania 35. He wins tournaments he never even played in. He wins tournaments that weren’t even held.

This just about sums up how people except Trump supporters feel about his whole presidency..

I'm sure my posts are not what you really wanted to hear about your president, Buzzito, but since the topics were Canada's immigration and hatred of Trump, although I didn't really see the connection between the two, I felt almost obligated to respond and tell the truth as I see it about both topics. Trying to project the blame to others when it is the actions of the man does not produce any guilt in me.


The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
towan52
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 10:00:09 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/28/2012
Posts: 1,915
Neurons: 219,239
Location: Waco, Texas, United States
Although Donny-John is clearly "A legend in his own mind" he, as John McCain's daughter, Meghan, said, " ... will never be a great man ..." IMCO, he is a *&%$* Moron!

Voldermort for Trump 2020
Buzzito
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 11:44:12 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/28/2016
Posts: 104
Neurons: 774,111
Location: Bensalem, Pennsylvania, United States
Hi Hope!

And thanks for "taking the bait" as you say. Let me say, I do not know much about the immigration policies of Canada, but one thing I do observe is, that though the percentages are different, so are the true numbers of total immigrants between Canada and the US, e.g. you have a LARGE percentage of immigrants compared to total population, but we, have an overwhelmingly large number of illegal immigrants in the USA, and dare I say, possibly more? I'll take Canada's issues with illegal immigration, and let me be clear, illegal immigration is what I am concerned about. MY brother-in-law would like to immigrate to the USA (from Peru), and has yet, only continues to wait for the government with it's ruthless efficiency, to process his request. We can guess how that will go, and it will underscore how different legal and illegal immigration is. In one day, if you are in Mexico, you can cross into the USA, in certain places unimpeded. Now, all you do is claim to be a victim/refugee and you get to wait here until your case comes up. Many just disappear into the community at large and never show up for a court date (and that is the majority of those caught). This I have an issue with. This, I believe is the type of thing Trump talks about when is discussing illegal immigration. "Whites" vs "browns" is his figure of speech. Take anyone literally, off the cuff, etc, and I'll bet you'll hear a thing or two, and in his case more, that you dislike. But it is a figure of speech because you know what, if you are truly a "fair", kind person, who cares about people, you want the chance for EVERYONE to be EQUAL. Alas, no libs (nor Cons as you called them) I meet express a rat's for the inability of Asians, Africans, and many others who would like to immigrate here and cannot due to the numbers of illegal immigrants.

I don't trust politicians, any of them, including Trump. I only like what he is doing. He is only doing what our previous, ineffective politicians did not have the strength of character to do anything about. The fact that the overwhelming majority of our illegals are Latino has nothing to do with the issue, nor does it for anyone I know. What I do know is, that though you are an above average, sweet woman who is not racist, but neither are the people I know personally. And yet, they have serious concerns about the illegal immigration, and many put their personal feelings about Trump to the side because he is getting things done. Please excuse my jumping topics.

One other thing, you may not have hatred for Trump, but many, many do and with my 20+ years in the Mental Health field and BA in psych, believe me you, I can see through quite a few people easily and I have become a decent judge of character. Many do, I resubmit, have pure unadulterated hatred for Trump. Those persons need to grow up and take a look at that hatred. Many spent 8+ years here in the US projecting their issues particularly of intolerance for views other then theirs, unto those of a different political persuasion. Time to suck it up. Thanks for reading, you are a sweet heart.
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 12:49:07 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,046
Neurons: 392,074
Location: Zimmerman, Minnesota, United States
Buzzito wrote:
... and with my 20+ years in the Mental Health field and BA in psych, believe me you, I can see through quite a few people easily and I have become a decent judge of character.


You lost me there. As soon as anyone online tries to say they are a decent judge of character just before delivering puerile insults they prove that not only are they fibbing about their background, but are also not a very good judge of character.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 11:12:09 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,925
Neurons: 51,153
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Hi Buzzito.

A sweetheart? I always say I am 51% sweetheart, and 49% bitch. So don't push it!

Seriously, you do teach people how to treat you, letting them know where the line is.

Let me be clear - I am never telling citizens of another country what to do about immigration. However I do join the world and UN outrage about treating the refugees inhumanely. I hope the rumour was wrong about Neilsen being fired from border security because she was not strict enough?

I am just saying what works for Canada. Also, when I talk about illegals I'm talking about border jumpers, not refugees. There IS a distinction.

I don't get why illegals are so hated here and more so in the US. Since they are undocumented their numbers are unknown, and therefore can't possibly affect legal immigration. Although in reality it makes no difference to his case, it must be galling for your b-i-law to see others just jump over.

If they are not getting any social benefits but are paying taxes, how are they of importance, especially since they do the menial jobs Americans and Canadians don't want? Their criminal numbers are no higher, if as high, as legals. Is it maybe just the ideology that they are not there legally and that bugs people?

Although I worked in education and not mental health, I too have a degree in psychology and also sociology. I am a pretty good judge of character, but so was my father, my husband is too, and neither were in that field. In fact I often listen to my husband's opinion over mine, or use it to corroborate mine.

The level of hate people have for Trump is not really the good indicator of bad character that you seem to be espousing. In fact, if you are using that as a marker, the more the hatred they have, the better person they are in my book. It is his character and actions, not the fact he is a Republican. Feelings are just feelings and if not acted upon to harm others or to stir up violence in others are ..... just feelings. Everyone has a right to their opinion, especially in politics in a democracy, and a right to speak freely. They do not need to suck up anything.

Republicans need to get some gumption to stop Trump from becoming a dictator. You are missing that part, Buzzito.

You must be a one issue immigration voter because you think what Trump has done, is doing, is progress and is not taking the US back 50 years. I am talking for example about such things as the few of many on my list of grievances that he has done.

I did some math with the best figures I could find, and if there are 15 -20 M illegals living in the US in a population of 33,195,364 people that is .0045 to .0060 %. In Canada 100,000 of 37 M is .0027. The totals of illegals are all guesstimates ranging from 8 to 20M in the US and 25,000 to 100,000 in Canada. Most of those in the US have been there for years and amnesty for those with certain criteria who've been there forever and not hurting anybody could take those numbers down. The numbers of border jumpers are decreasing and some illegal Mexicans have gone home but no record is kept of that.

Canada does a fine job of welcoming immigrants and refugees but on our terms. Arriving as a refugee at an official border point at the US/Canada border, means immediate refusal. But arriving at a non official border point does not guarantee admission either. In fact, over 90% of refugees are deported. (I believe they must go back to their original country and not the US, but don't quote me on that.) And all refugees and immigrants are extremely well vetted as to their suitability for becoming good Canadian citizens

As for those refugee caravans, why aren't they putting anklets on them and releasing them as families as Obama did. He was called "deporter-in-chief" so he must have organized, planned for caravans, and dealt with them humanely. I know they are not trained for that but why couldn't those troops be used to help speed up the process by doing some initial obvious sorting and send some on their way back?

Making those who enter by plane hand in a card saying they have left as Mexico does would also keep better track of those who overstay. Canada also requires a Visa from certain countries just to visit if those countries' visitors were taking advantage and overstaying. Just ideas.

BTW - your b-i-l would wait just as long - if not longer - getting into Canada. People complain all the time about the length. There are quotas for every country set by the government. And yes, there are racists, anti Semites, anti LGBTQ, and Islamopoibes here too.



The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 2:41:07 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,925
Neurons: 51,153
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
It has been drawn to my attention that my figures are inaccurate in my post at 11:12 pm.

I checked and see that I unintentionally added the % symbol to the American figure.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 1:53:52 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,046
Neurons: 392,074
Location: Zimmerman, Minnesota, United States
The White House tried to pressure US Immigration officials to release detainees into 'sanctuary cities' to target Trump's personal enemies.

Let's all sit back and let that sink in for a moment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/white-house-proposed-releasing-immigrant-detainees-in-sanctuary-cities-targeting-political-foes/2019/04/11/72839bc8-5c68-11e9-9625-01d48d50ef75_story.html?

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
FounDit
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 5:05:21 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 12,224
Neurons: 60,665
progpen wrote:
The White House tried to pressure US Immigration officials to release detainees into 'sanctuary cities' to target Trump's personal enemies.

Let's all sit back and let that sink in for a moment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/white-house-proposed-releasing-immigrant-detainees-in-sanctuary-cities-targeting-political-foes/2019/04/11/72839bc8-5c68-11e9-9625-01d48d50ef75_story.html?


Brilliant! Absolutely brilliant! Go, Mr. President! Do it!

How is this "targeting" anyone? After all, the mayors of SF, Seattle, and Oakland, et al., have said their cities will always be a sanctuary cities, and they are proud of that fact. Democrats like Pelosi have claimed illegal immigrants are more American than real citizens. They claim their cities are safer, better, more diverse and that such diversity is their strength. Wonderful.

If that is true, then they should want more illegal immigrants in their sanctuary. Why not? Why would they now complain that they don't want them? They say the immigrants are wonderful people, so why wouldn't they want to increase the number of wonderful people in their city? If they want to permit an uninterrupted flow of immigrants to the country, why shouldn't they want an uninterrupted flow to their own cities? I can see no reason for them to object.

Trump should give them exactly what they want and claim to appreciate. In doing so, he can say he is reaching across the aisle and working with Democrats. They say they are proud to be a sanctuary city. Okay. Prove it. Take all those illegal immigrants that are sent your way - and quit your bitchin'.


We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Hope123
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 7:30:21 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,925
Neurons: 51,153
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
OMG. I'm agreeing with FounDit and Donald Trump!!!

Great idea, Donald. Let these poor refugees with their children free and in a friendly environment. Better than this poor 11 year-old being deported without her mother. She's eleven!.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Eleven-year-old-ordered-deported-without-her-13760566.php?cmpid=hpctp


Bet when Donald thinks of the fact that it would be humane to release them in sanctuary cities, he'll renege. Edited to add the e on renege.

Good one Drago!




The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 7:38:41 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 33,153
Neurons: 207,936
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
Hope123 wrote:
OMG. I'm agreeing with FounDit and Donald Trump!!!




Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Friday, April 12, 2019 11:53:59 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,046
Neurons: 392,074
Location: Zimmerman, Minnesota, United States
Don't at all disagree with Hope, and it's a fine day indeed when the normal people can interpret something from the current occupant as being good for the weakest among us.

That said, we know what the intent was. It was to punish US citizens who disagree with him.
We know why he sees it as punishment. Because he sees people with dark skin as being thieves, rapists, and drug dealers.
So we know that his idea was to send thieves, rapists, and drug dealers to those who do not agree with him and his politics.

The Trump apologists are going to spin this 8 ways to Sunday but he has repeated his thoughts about dark-skinned immigrants for years now. The entire world knows what he thinks of them. Just the fact that his ignorant malice is so removed from reality that something he sees as punishment is actually a benefit does not complicate the issue at all. This because as Hope said, he would never follow through because as soon as he found out it was something good and not a punishment he would change course.

The President of the United States of America wanted to send people he sees as highly dangerous to specific places within the US in order for those people to harm anyone who disagrees with him. Spin, childish excuses, or denial is a pathetic waste of time, but is expected.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 10:38:36 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,046
Neurons: 392,074
Location: Zimmerman, Minnesota, United States
And the hits just keep on coming. Captain Sphincter Blossom is inciting violence against one of two Muslim women in Congress.

Just last week, a Trump supporter in upstate New York was charged with threatening to kill Omar. This after the Captain started using 9/11 in personal attacks against a sitting Congresswoman.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/12/ilhan-omar-democrats-trump-attacks-sanders-warren

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 11:08:24 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 12,224
Neurons: 60,665
Why, proggy, how dare you insinuate that brown-skin people are "thieves, rapists, and drug dealers". That's just ... so racist! You should be ashamed of yourself, to even put those words together in connection with brown people. Tsk, tsk, tsk...Shame on you

These are wonderful people who never commit crimes, are potentially excellent citizens (or, will be if they ever learn the language and assimilate, which they no doubt will immediately do), and will not use any of our social services to which they are not entitled. After all, these folks always obey the law. The sanctuary cities should be rejoicing in welcoming their new neighbors. I still don't know why you are complaining.


We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 11:12:27 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,925
Neurons: 51,153
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Seattle has said for Donald to bring on the refugees!


https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/seattle-isnt-afraid-of-immigrants-mr-trump/2019/04/12/f26c370e-5d5e-11e9-9625-01d48d50ef75_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0389937f6cf6

:::

Trump supporters are threatening the lives of AOC and Omar.

:::

There are all kinds of signs that democracy is weakening daily in the US... But who cares?

Cross posted with FD.

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 11:30:18 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,046
Neurons: 392,074
Location: Zimmerman, Minnesota, United States
Hope, it's happening much more often because White Supremacists know the current occupant will back them up.

Intimidation, threats of violence, and violence have become standard operating procedure for the Republican Party now because they know they can get away with it.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 1:47:05 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,925
Neurons: 51,153
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
progpen wrote:
Hope, it's happening much more often because White Supremacists know the current occupant will back them up.

Intimidation, threats of violence, and violence have become standard operating procedure for the Republican Party now because they know they can get away with it.


I know, Proggy. And the foul wind has blown north with the many White Supremacist groups here in Canada increasing exponentially. Edited to add that a southern US couple have even brought their movie and hateful rhetoric about abortion for Canada's parliamentary officials to view. Canada has been quite fine re this issue so they can go back south and leave us alone.

The Liberals did just get Facebook to remove at least 4 of those groups. Now they need to work on Twitter.

Chrystia Freeland, an influential Liberal MP, believes that foreign influence on our election by using social media - she did not name countries - is about about polarizing people to weaken democracy by getting them to think that all politicians and systems are bad.


The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 1:48:19 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,925
Neurons: 51,153
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
"Canada intends to change the law to make it harder for asylum seekers rejected by countries like the US to file refugee claims at the border." US, UK, Australia and New Zealand have an immigration information-sharing agreement with Canada. BBC

Canada will take real refugees, not those who already failed the test in Mexico or the US.

Wednesday we Facetimed with a longtime good friend in FL - a Republican - and since we don't discuss politics and I not want to argue an emotional topic with a friend, I carefully did not respond to her comment where she was only half joking. She brought up the topic and said that 1,000,000 refugees were at the US border and they should send them on to Canada.

There IS chaos at the southern US border with truckers being held up, sometimes for days, causing economic losses. But she has been told there are one million refugees right now at the US border and she believes it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/29/us-mexico-border-immigration-chaos An objective UK opinion.

There is a lot of misinformation about refugee numbers and their crime rates around the world and in the US too, as FD's fear shows.

However - Facts Count.

There were 84,995 refugees entering US in all of 2016, and it was a larger number than before.
In forty years 1975-2015 there were 20 refugees out of over three million, or 0.00062 % of refugees who were convicted of terrorism. Three refugees from Cuba killed three people before the 1980 Refugee Act and the vigorous vetting of today.

It is White Nationalists who are the terrorists killing in mass shootings today, and those legally in the US who have been radicalized. Criminals are not slipping through screening during the refugee inspection process. Repression is often the cause of the radicalization of those who are involved in terrorism or crime.

Refugees are more often victims of business dealings or civil situations rather than being perpetrators.

An analysis of 51 studies for the United States showed that although there are individual exceptions, all immigration either has no impact on the crime rate or that it actually reduces the crime rate. Large cities with substantial immigrant populations have lower crime rates, than those with smaller numbers. An explanation is that immigration revitalizes urban neighbourhoods and generates economic growth.

The following link is one of those I used in my online research.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/immigrants-do-not-increase-crime-research-shows/


The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 2:00:00 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,925
Neurons: 51,153
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada

587 Canadian academics for the first time are concerned about Conservative inflammatory rhetoric encouraging violence.






The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 2:11:12 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,046
Neurons: 392,074
Location: Zimmerman, Minnesota, United States
Hope123 wrote:

However - Facts Count.


That must be enforced everywhere. Allowing extremists to spread their verbal disease is unsustainable. We know what free an open debates look and sound like and much of what's happening on social media is neither free nor open. Facebook is drowning in right wing extremists making threats and smothering discussion and debate. Twitter is just as pathetic. Online news organizations can't have open discussions about anything newsworthy without having extremists infecting the discussion.

But so far there have been no real discussions about how to fix this (none that get noticed outside the walled gardens) because the right wing politicians feed off that hatred and vitriol. It's how they make their money.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Buzzito
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 11:18:43 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/28/2016
Posts: 104
Neurons: 774,111
Location: Bensalem, Pennsylvania, United States
Progpen wrote:

You lost me there. As soon as anyone online tries to say they are a decent judge of character just before delivering puerile insults they prove that not only are they fibbing about their background, but are also not a very good judge of character.[/quote]

Not only am factually correct with my professional qualifications, I am a pretty good judge of character. It's that simple.
Buzzito
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 11:25:57 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/28/2016
Posts: 104
Neurons: 774,111
Location: Bensalem, Pennsylvania, United States
progpen wrote:
The White House tried to pressure US Immigration officials to release detainees into 'sanctuary cities' to target Trump's personal enemies.

Let's all sit back and let that sink in for a moment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/white-house-proposed-releasing-immigrant-detainees-in-sanctuary-cities-targeting-political-foes/2019/04/11/72839bc8-5c68-11e9-9625-01d48d50ef75_story.html?



You get it! They WANT to talk the talk, but not Walk the walk. Simple, you see? Progpen, there are just some people you cannot reason with. You see it differently, much differently than I do. That is only a matter of opinion. Trump is doing what our politicians have failed to do. People here in the USA have looked the other way regarding illegal immigrants for FAR TOO LONG. At least he is trying to do something.
Buzzito
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 11:29:52 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/28/2016
Posts: 104
Neurons: 774,111
Location: Bensalem, Pennsylvania, United States
Hope123 wrote:
progpen wrote:
Hope, it's happening much more often because White Supremacists know the current occupant will back them up.

Intimidation, threats of violence, and violence have become standard operating procedure for the Republican Party now because they know they can get away with it.


I know, Proggy. And the foul wind has blown north with the many White Supremacist groups here in Canada increasing exponentially. Edited to add that a southern US couple have even brought their movie and hateful rhetoric about abortion for Canada's parliamentary officials to view. Canada has been quite fine re this issue so they can go back south and leave us alone.

The Liberals did just get Facebook to remove at least 4 of those groups. Now they need to work on Twitter.

Chrystia Freeland, an influential Liberal MP, believes that foreign influence on our election by using social media - she did not name countries - is about about polarizing people to weaken democracy by getting them to think that all politicians and systems are bad.


WOW! Progpen!!!! You have Trump Derangement Syndrome! Yeah, he's given "the nod" so it's all-out war! Unreal ... you MUST watch
Clinton News Network too! Great ....
Buzzito
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 11:33:48 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/28/2016
Posts: 104
Neurons: 774,111
Location: Bensalem, Pennsylvania, United States
progpen wrote:
And the hits just keep on coming. Captain Sphincter Blossom is inciting violence against one of two Muslim women in Congress.

Just last week, a Trump supporter in upstate New York was charged with threatening to kill Omar. This after the Captain started using 9/11 in personal attacks against a sitting Congresswoman.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/12/ilhan-omar-democrats-trump-attacks-sanders-warren



Yah, let's use single episode insane persons as REAL evidence of the population at large. That makes sense .... oh my ....
Buzzito
Posted: Saturday, April 13, 2019 11:33:49 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 5/28/2016
Posts: 104
Neurons: 774,111
Location: Bensalem, Pennsylvania, United States
progpen wrote:
And the hits just keep on coming. Captain Sphincter Blossom is inciting violence against one of two Muslim women in Congress.

Just last week, a Trump supporter in upstate New York was charged with threatening to kill Omar. This after the Captain started using 9/11 in personal attacks against a sitting Congresswoman.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/12/ilhan-omar-democrats-trump-attacks-sanders-warren



Yah, let's use single episode insane persons as REAL evidence of the population at large. That makes sense .... oh my ....
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 1:21:54 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,046
Neurons: 392,074
Location: Zimmerman, Minnesota, United States
Hope123 wrote:
It is White Nationalists who are the terrorists killing in mass shootings today, and those legally in the US who have been radicalized. Criminals are not slipping through screening during the refugee inspection process. Repression is often the cause of the radicalization of those who are involved in terrorism or crime.


And that is the main issue in the US. White Supremacists and right wing extremists are a far greater threat to the average US citizen than any foreign terrorist or illegal immigrant, but since the White House is protecting these domestic terrorists there is very little that is being done to reduce that threat.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 1:25:40 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,046
Neurons: 392,074
Location: Zimmerman, Minnesota, United States
Hope123 wrote:
The Liberals did just get Facebook to remove at least 4 of those groups. Now they need to work on Twitter.


The UK looks like they are trying to clean up social media as much as they can. If the US doesn't do something soon, then US network (IP) addresses will end up being filtered by other countries (like Russia and China are today).

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 1:29:40 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,046
Neurons: 392,074
Location: Zimmerman, Minnesota, United States
Hope123 wrote:

587 Canadian academics for the first time are concerned about Conservative inflammatory rhetoric encouraging violence.




I haven't seen anything like this in the US yet. I'd be curious to know if there have been any peer reviewed papers published. In the current political environment I think it's unlikely but I hope we haven't fallen that far yet.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 1:38:03 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,046
Neurons: 392,074
Location: Zimmerman, Minnesota, United States


This is exactly why Captain Sphincter Blossom will not follow through. He hasn't locked down the borders between cities or states yet, so if Seattle takes these immigrants they could move somewhere that he doesn't want to 'punish'. But it is a wonderful rebuttal to the malicious twit's tantrums.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 3:35:58 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,046
Neurons: 392,074
Location: Zimmerman, Minnesota, United States
progpen wrote:
And the hits just keep on coming. Captain Sphincter Blossom is inciting violence against one of two Muslim women in Congress.

Just last week, a Trump supporter in upstate New York was charged with threatening to kill Omar. This after the Captain started using 9/11 in personal attacks against a sitting Congresswoman.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/12/ilhan-omar-democrats-trump-attacks-sanders-warren


And her response is perfect. She is what a true American looks like.

“I did not run for Congress to be silent,”

“No one person – no matter how corrupt, inept, or vicious – can threaten my unwavering love for America,” she wrote on Twitter. “I stand undeterred to continue fighting for equal opportunity in our pursuit of happiness for all Americans.”

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 9:47:51 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,925
Neurons: 51,153
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
progpen wrote:
Hope123 wrote:

587 Canadian academics for the first time are concerned about Conservative inflammatory rhetoric encouraging violence.




I haven't seen anything like this in the US yet. I'd be curious to know if there have been any peer reviewed papers published. In the current political environment I think it's unlikely but I hope we haven't fallen that far yet.


Hi Proggy. At glance of first sentence I was incredulous thinking by "it" you meant the actions weren't happening in the US. Then I read further and hope you mean the academics are not speaking out. ??

The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Blaidd-Drwg
Posted: Sunday, April 14, 2019 9:56:42 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/2/2015
Posts: 2,046
Neurons: 392,074
Location: Zimmerman, Minnesota, United States
Hope123 wrote:
progpen wrote:
Hope123 wrote:

587 Canadian academics for the first time are concerned about Conservative inflammatory rhetoric encouraging violence.




I haven't seen anything like this in the US yet. I'd be curious to know if there have been any peer reviewed papers published. In the current political environment I think it's unlikely but I hope we haven't fallen that far yet.


Hi Proggy. At glance of first sentence I was incredulous thinking by "it" you meant the actions weren't happening in the US. Then I read further and hope you mean the academics are not speaking out. ??


Sorry Hope, but yes I was talking about academic peer reviewed papers talking about the conservative rhetoric encouraging violence.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
FounDit
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 3:25:58 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 12,224
Neurons: 60,665


We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Hope123
Posted: Monday, April 15, 2019 3:48:39 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,925
Neurons: 51,153
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
The Untied States



The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes/ears. It was their final, most essential command Orwell 1984
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2019 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.