The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

present continious vs past continious Options
ullas84
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 10:51:12 AM

Neurons: 280
A)‘Maybe I'll be surprised, maybe they'll just blow me away with something I am not expecting , who knows?’ ( instead of ''I was not expecting'' )

B)‘Maybe I'll be surprised, maybe they'll just blow me away with something I was not expecting, who knows?’

Are sentence A and sentence B both possible and in the same meaning?
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 11:54:08 AM

Neurons: 53,530
ullas84 wrote:
A)‘Maybe I'll be surprised, maybe they'll just blow me away with something I am not expecting , who knows?’ ( instead of ''I was not expecting'' )

B)‘Maybe I'll be surprised, maybe they'll just blow me away with something I was not expecting, who knows?’

Are sentence A and sentence B both possible and in the same meaning?

No. The first one is about the future and what you think about it now. It can't be "was" because that is past tense for something that hasn't happened yet.

Maybe I'll (I will) be surprised. Maybe they'll (they will) just blow me away with something I am not expecting (now), who knows?’

It might be more clear if you reverse the thinking. "I am not expecting anything to happen, but maybe they'll blow me away with something/what they do".

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit