The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

How is the book Options
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 6:06:35 AM

Neurons: 12,605
A red car (red is an adjective because it describes the car. How is the car? Red)

A big book (big is an adjective because it describes the book. How is the book? Big)
Compound Adjectives - English Grammar

I know the question word "how" is used to ask or show the manner in which something is done but I can't figure out its usage in both the questions in the brackets.
How is the book?
How is the car?
I expected what kind of the book or the car instead
thar
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 6:24:05 AM

Neurons: 77,403
Is this question given in your teaching material?

It is wrong.

What colour is the car?
How big is the book?

How are you? (Ie are you well?)

If you treat a car like a human...
How is the car?
Is it healthy, is it starting every morning? Or is the engine coughing and refusing to start?

Or
How is the car? Is it comfortable? Is it what you want? Are you going to buy it?

How is the book? Is it interesting? Are you enjoying reading it? Do you want to borrow another by the same author?

It does not describe what the car or the book is like. Only your enjoyment of it.

Either you have misunderstood this (which seems unlikely) or this teaching resource is completely wrong..

(At least for Western English. And I suspect wrong for Indian English as well. That has differences but is usually very precise with things like this. I think it unlikely it is how Indian English puts it, either.)
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 6:30:30 AM

thar
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 6:36:21 AM

Neurons: 77,403
.cl is the domain name for Chile.

Avoid this site completely.

The rest might be fine and this may just be poor editing but they should have spotted it. You can't trust this resource.

In Spanish, I think you can ask "Como es el libro?" "El libro es grande". But not in English.
Jigneshbharati
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 6:53:26 AM

Thanks
Romany
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2019 8:04:16 AM

Neurons: 48,295
One of my son lives in Spain and teaches English. He has told me often how bad many of the Spanish sites are, and that he tells his students not to go near them.

That's because, again, those who write them are not native English-Speakers. The best thing you can do is to stick to the ACCREDITED Teaching and Learning sites. These are all written and presented by native English teachers, and are the courses upon which ESL exams test students. They will indicate that they are accredited by British Council - the statutory body for international ESL testing.

Unfortunately, I don't know if there is a a similarly accredited American ESL Teaching and Learning body. Perhaps Ruth would know?