The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

difference in meaning Options
FooFan
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2019 3:43:42 AM

Neurons: 76
Hello, can anybody explain me the difference between those sentences?

1a) who is listening to your teacher?
1b) who listens to your teacher?

could be also possible a version "who listens your teacher to?"

2a)Norwegians are much taller than Japanese, but FEWER people live in Norway than in Japan. I understand neither of those nations.
2b) The Norwegians are much taller than the Japanese, but FEWER people live in Norway than in Japan. I understand neither of those nations.

3a) Any questions after four hours´ appointment are exhausting me.
3b) Any questions after four hours´ appointment exhaust me.

4a) You should take more care of yourself. Some passers-by said, that none of them would wear such an old-fashioned pair of glasses.
4b) You should take more care of yourself. Some passers-by said, that none of them would have worn such an old-fashioned of glasses.

thank you very much for any help
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2019 11:26:37 AM

Neurons: 54,729
Is this homework? It looks like it.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
ElizabethTh
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2019 12:43:02 PM

Neurons: 53
no, it is not :D I am trying to learn English and be good at it and I run into those sentences from different sources and I tried to translate them but I could not decide which one of those possibilities are correct and I wondered whether they can have a slightly different meaning because I am still struggling with.

for example, I run into sentences where they used "The Japenese" and others are using only "Japanese" without an article, so I do not understand why is that :/

in the first sentence, I was not sure which correct tense I should use, because both variants sound correct to me.

and in the last sentence, I was puzzled, because I suppose they said "I WOULD never wear.." so it should be reported speech, so then I should translate it as "would have never worn" just to reported it, but I wondered if it could be also translated as just "would wear" without changing the meaning

those are only sentences I have been struggling with :D
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2019 1:24:49 PM

But the original post was made by FooFan. Are you FooFan as well as ElizabethTh?

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
thar
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2019 5:05:05 PM

Neurons: 77,530

It helps to know who is asking to get a feel of how advanced your knowledge is.

FooFan wrote:
Hello, can anybody explain me the difference between those sentences?

1a) who is listening to your teacher?
1b) who listens to your teacher?

This is a question about the difference between the progressive - what is happening now, and the simple present, used for repeated actions, habits and truths. If you don't understand the difference you need to study that topic using a learning resource with clear examples.

could be also possible a version "who listens your teacher to?"

No, the preposition belongs with the noun. 'to the teacher'.

2a)Norwegians are much taller than Japanese, but FEWER people live in Norway than in Japan. I understand neither of those nations.
2b) The Norwegians are much taller than the Japanese, but FEWER people live in Norway than in Japan. I understand neither of those nations.

I think this has been answered in another thread.

3a) Any questions after four hours´ appointment are exhausting me.
3b) Any questions after four hours´ appointment exhaust me.

This is making a more complex question than the first. If you don't understand the difference between progressive and simple present, then this is too complex to explain right now. Neither of these sentences are correct but the tense in the first one does not work for this example.

4a) You should take more care of yourself. Some passers-by said, that none of them would wear such an old-fashioned pair of glasses.
4b) You should take more care of yourself. Some passers-by said, that none of them would have worn such an old-fashioned of glasses.

Do you understand that 'would' is a conditional, not a past tense? 'Would have" is a conditional in the past tense.

You really need context to see the difference when using different tenses. Explaining to you what they mean is not useful. You need to see what they mean by seeing the context.
A sentence in isolation s not a useful learning tool.

thank you very much for any help
Parpar1836
Posted: Saturday, February 2, 2019 8:57:26 PM

Neurons: 12,514
Why two different screen names in one thread?
Romany
Posted: Sunday, February 3, 2019 4:57:28 AM

Neurons: 48,295

Why two different names at all?
Parpar1836
Posted: Monday, February 4, 2019 7:19:42 PM

Neurons: 12,514
It seems that we've asked an unanswerable question.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 2:52:59 AM

Neurons: 193,869
I have a theory.
I started using The Free Dictionary on a PC (as "Drag0nspeaker").
When I got my new super-smart phone, I tried to log on.
Who knows what really happened, but The Free Dictionary "decided" it didn't like me using my user-name, so - when I come on this forum using my phone - it assigns the post to my normal name. It even 'stole' my Google-plus profile image to use as an avatar.

Possibly something similar happens with Foo-fan.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
RuthP
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 3:38:25 PM

Neurons: 84,446
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
I have a theory.
I started using The Free Dictionary on a PC (as "Drag0nspeaker").
When I got my new super-smart phone, I tried to log on.
Who knows what really happened, but The Free Dictionary "decided" it didn't like me using my user-name, so - when I come on this forum using my phone - it assigns the post to my normal name. It even 'stole' my Google-plus profile image to use as an avatar.

Possibly something similar happens with Foo-fan.

I knew there was a reason I didn't do any of this on my phone! Think
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 4:41:18 PM

You mean you can get on the forums with your phone?...
That's weird, 'cause I can see nothing but the front page when I use my phone. No forum topics are available at all. Not that I really care. I wouldn't try to type on my phone anyway, but it's just that I didn't know anyone could.

srirr
Posted: Tuesday, February 5, 2019 11:49:04 PM

Neurons: 354,978
I comfortably visit this forum with either of my devices. I can through my laptop/ computer as well as through phone. No issues. I never had to create a pseudo login.

The only challenge with phones is lack of ease in typing.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand