mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

holiday/vacation Options
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 1:05:43 AM

Neurons: 5,996
Are these correct?

I am going to go on holiday next month.
I am going to go on a long-awaited/ten-day holiday next month.
I am going to take a holiday next month.

I am going to go on a vacation next month.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 8:34:44 AM

Neurons: 48,295

"I'm going to go" is the way it's written in grammar book and is, or course, perfectly correct. However what we usually SAY is "I'm going on holidays next month." "I'm going on a long-awaited ten-day holiday next month." "I'm going to take a holiday next month."

"Vacation" is AE - it's not usually used in other English forms.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 9:04:57 AM

Neurons: 79,154
AE vacation seems pretty equivalent to BrE holiday, in terms of going somewhere.
But AE holidays seems to be times of national celebrations. In BrE it is the time off school between terms - Christmas, Easter and summer.

In old novels and official documents about people studying at Oxford and Cambridge Universities (maybe others, Dublin, St Andrews, I don't know) you might see 'vac/ vacation' in BrE, presumably because that was the old way of saying it (they do their own thing with the names of terms - Michaelmas, Hilary/Lent, Trinity/Easter - in between are the vacs ,- because colleges emptied out?Whistle no, just meaning freedom, absence of work duties) but it only survives in that tiny niche meaning in BE. And in modern AE, of course.

Quote:
vacation (n.)
late 14c., "freedom from obligations, leisure, release" (from some activity or occupation), from Old French vacacion "vacancy, vacant position" (14c.) and directly from Latin vacationem (nominative vacatio) "leisure, freedom, exemption, a being free from duty, immunity earned by service.

Quote:
vacation (countable and uncountable, plural vacations)

Freedom from some business or activity. [from 14th c.]
(obsolete) Free time given over to a specific purpose; occupation, activity. [15th-17th c.]

A period during which official activity or business is formally suspended; an official holiday from university, law courts etc. [from 15th c.]

(Canada, US) A holiday; a stretch of leisure time away from work or duty and devoted to rest or pleasure. [from 19th c.]

Holiday comes from holy day, of course - not originally a trip to the seaside, but a feast, and a day off work.

Quote:
(chiefly Britain) A period of one or more days taken off work for leisure and often travel; often plural (US English: vacation).

It is funny that American English, in trying so hard to be inclusive and say 'holidays' instead of 'Christmas' is closer to the original meaning. Whistle
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 2:08:56 PM

One of the QI team (think it was Trevor Noa?) was talking about his first trip to the US. The customs bloke asked him the purpose of his visit and
"Holiday" said Trevor happily.
"What holiday?" the man barked out.
"What? ... "What" holiday?. repeated Trevor into a dead silence. "Uhh.. the holiday of my lifetime, maybe?"

....and it all went hilariously downhill from there.

The reason I thought it was Trevor is because he tells a funny piece about arriving for the first time in the US. Culminating in a life-changing discovery:- He discovered that the Government of America considers him a black man.

Though the actual citizens all start talking to him in Mexican or Spanish - and chided him for not speaking his "mother-tongue".

Seeing it from his South African perspective it was so funny I had tears rolling down my cheeks! (Though utterly tragic, of course. How different his life would have been had he been classified black in his own country... But if you don't conjur up humour out of tragedy in the RSA you don't survive well!)

If anyone else happens to read this and doesn't know who Trevor Noa is: he's a South African comedian. His father was Swiss, his mother Xhosa. This was against the law at that time. He was, as he jokes, "born a crime". He didn't exist.

He's very laid back, very natural, and very, very funny. Google or Youtube him:
Lovely guy.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:38:53 PM

Neurons: 8,639
Romany wrote:
One of the QI team (think it was Trevor Noa?) was talking about his first trip to the US. The customs bloke asked him the purpose of his visit and
"Holiday" said Trevor happily.
"What holiday?" the man barked out.
"What? ... "What" holiday?. repeated Trevor into a dead silence. "Uhh.. the holiday of my lifetime, maybe?"

....and it all went hilariously downhill from there.

The reason I thought it was Trevor is because he tells a funny piece about arriving for the first time in the US. Culminating in a life-changing discovery:- He discovered that the Government of America considers him a black man.

Though the actual citizens all start talking to him in Mexican or Spanish - and chided him for not speaking his "mother-tongue".

Seeing it from his South African perspective it was so funny I had tears rolling down my cheeks! (Though utterly tragic, of course. How different his life would have been had he been classified black in his own country... But if you don't conjur up humour out of tragedy in the RSA you don't survive well!)

If anyone else happens to read this and doesn't know who Trevor Noa is: he's a South African comedian. His father was Swiss, his mother Xhosa. This was against the law at that time. He was, as he jokes, "born a crime". He didn't exist.

He's very laid back, very natural, and very, very funny. Google or Youtube him:
Lovely guy.

Romany these days Trevor Noah hosts the Daily Show a satirical news program on Comedy Central.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 3:46:11 PM

I don't know his comedy, but if he is the guy who made the joke (ok, a time ago and resurfaced, but no excuse) about Aboriginal women, then I am not impressed. In my opinion something a bit nasty somewhere inside for him to think that would be funny, in any culture.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 7:50:19 PM

Neurons: 8,639
thar wrote:
I don't know his comedy, but if he is the guy who made the joke (ok, a time ago and resurfaced, but no excuse) about Aboriginal women, then I am not impressed. In my opinion something a bit nasty somewhere inside for him to think that would be funny, in any culture.

It's a difficult one Thar on one hand it was an awful joke, on the other hand can you judge a person on one misjudged joke?

For me if he had a history of making many such jokes, if he was like Jim Davidson or Bernard Manning then I would not give him the time of day, but I think we have all said something once and then regretted it later.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 5:53:28 AM

Romany wrote:

"I'm going to take a holiday next month."

What is the difference between "I'm going to take a holiday next month." and "I'm going to take holiday next month."
Romany
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 9:37:55 AM

The difference is that one is what we say in English and the other isn't!

re Trevor Noah (whose name I've spelled incorrectly each time I've written it): - Never heard about or seen the "aboriginal women" incident until now.

Never having heard him say anything outrageous, I find it doesn't affect the way I react to all the many hours of belly-laughs he's given. Picking up on a racial stereotype such as Aboriginal women not being good-looking was a stupid thing to do; but I am not at all convinced it was motivated by racism so will reserve judgement until I ever hear him saying something unacceptable again.
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 12:15:13 PM

Romany wrote:
The difference is that one is what we say in English and the other isn't!

That's a very prominent distinction. How about "go on (a) holiday".

Do you say "I am going to go on holiday" or "on a holiday"?
thar
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 12:55:15 PM

You can 'take a holiday' ie not work, take a break.

You can do something - the action - go on holiday, go on retreat (to a monastery), go on tour (with the band)

or you can go on a holiday to Greece, go on a trip, go on a cruise.

But you don't normally go on a holiday.

You have gone on holiday three times already this year.
You have taken three holidays already this year.

Just 'coz.
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 1:02:12 PM

Thar! Thank you! I see you say:
thar wrote:

or you can go on a holiday to Greece

And then you say:

thar wrote:

But you don't normally go on a holiday.

Why did you say "on a holiday to Greece"?

thar
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:05:58 PM

Because it was 'a holiday to Greece'.

I can't really explain it that well. But one is OK, although it would not be the normal way of saying it. Without that specificity, though - it just sounds wrong.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, January 10, 2019 2:45:13 PM

Neurons: 199,178
It is the same for several uncountable or abstract nouns, they take an article only when limited by an adjective or adjectival phrase.

I'm going to hospital next week for an operation.
I'm going to a hospital in Leeds next week, for an operation.

“I am looking for accommodation.”
“I am looking for the accommodation listed in this advertisement.”

I am going on holiday.
I am going on a holiday to Greece.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!