The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

simple present Options
Tara2
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 5:01:55 AM

Neurons: 2,309
Hi
Can you [lease explain why the bolded verbs are written as the simple present?
"We begin by examining the insertion sort algorithm to solve the sorting problem
introduced in Chapter 1. We define a “pseudocode” that should be familiar to you if
you have done computer programming, and we use it to show how we shall specify
our algorithms. Having specified the insertion sort algorithm, we then argue that it
correctly sorts, and we analyze its running time."
DavidLearn
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 6:30:01 AM

Neurons: 22,650
Hi Tara,
Though the present simple’s main use is for general rules, and grammatically represents timeless facts, native speakers often use it in an colloquial setting for storytelling. This can be to recount a past event, a film or book plot, or for running commentaries.

The present simple is also commonly used to give narratives of consumed stories, for example the plots of films, books and plays.

This is used to put the listener in the moment of the story. This technique is sometimes used in creative writing, as well as in spoken language.

I hope it helps.

David.
Tara2
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 8:08:00 AM

DavidLearn wrote:
Hi Tara,
Though the present simple’s main use is for general rules, and grammatically represents timeless facts, native speakers often use it in an colloquial setting for storytelling. This can be to recount a past event, a film or book plot, or for running commentaries.

The present simple is also commonly used to give narratives of consumed stories, for example the plots of films, books and plays.

This is used to put the listener in the moment of the story. This technique is sometimes used in creative writing, as well as in spoken language.

I hope it helps.

David.

Hi David
Thank you
This book isn't a story or novel. It's my book in university.
In all books they use present simple?
DavidLearn
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 8:34:50 AM

Neurons: 22,650
Tara2 wrote:
DavidLearn wrote:
Hi Tara,

I hope it helps.

David.

Hi David
Thank you

Depends on the author. But as said, the present simple is commonly used to give narratives. Even though most narratives are told in the simple past, they are also written in present simple.

Narrative:
1) A story or account of events, experiences, or the like, whether true or fictitious.
2) A book, literary work, etc., containing such a story.
3) The art, technique, or process of narrating, or of telling a story.

David.
Tara2
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 11:16:16 AM

DavidLearn wrote:
Tara2 wrote:
DavidLearn wrote:
Hi Tara,

I hope it helps.

David.

Hi David
Thank you

Depends on the author. But as said, the present simple is commonly used to give narratives. Even though most narratives are told in the simple past, they are also written in present simple.

Narrative:
1) A story or account of events, experiences, or the like, whether true or fictitious.
2) A book, literary work, etc., containing such a story.
3) The art, technique, or process of narrating, or of telling a story.

David.

Thank you :)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, January 5, 2019 3:13:54 PM

Neurons: 185,554
It IS a narrative, of sorts.
However, this is also the routine always used in lessons using this book.

I know it may seem a bit odd, but if you think of it as many conversations:
Yesterday, the author explained to some students in Australia; today, to you; tomorrow, to students in the USA.

Each time, the author begins
and defines the phrase
then uses the definition . . .

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Tara2
Posted: Sunday, January 6, 2019 10:56:36 AM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It IS a narrative, of sorts.
However, this is also the routine always used in lessons using this book.

I know it may seem a bit odd, but if you think of it as many conversations:
Yesterday, the author explained to some students in Australia; today, to you; tomorrow, to students in the USA.

Each time, the author begins
and defines the phrase
then uses the definition . . .

Thank you Drago :)