Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

with ease / habitually Options
onsen
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 11:32:34 PM

Neurons: 5,206
Hello,

He pretends that he is a victim.
(self-made sentence)

Does the sentence collocate with such phrases as 'with ease' or 'habitually' when it is used to describes a person’s character?

Thank you.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 3:03:40 AM

Neurons: 185,329
Hi Onsen.

I can't explain WHY. Probably that's one of the problems with 'collocation' - there is often no really good reason we use "up & down" but not "down & up" so much.

He habitually pretends he's a victim. - Sounds perfectly natural to me (I wouldn't use the "that".)

He pretends he's a victim with ease. - Nah! Sounds awkward.
He easily pretends he's a victim. - It's OK, but somehow 'being' a victim and doing something easily don't quite fit together for me.

"Habitually", "often", "usually", "always", "chronically" - all these seem to fit in well.
Possibly because a person's character is 'chronic' - it lasts through time - so time-adverbs sound good.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
onsen
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 4:18:22 AM

Neurons: 5,206
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
Hi Onsen.

I can't explain WHY. Probably that's one of the problems with 'collocation' - there is often no really good reason we use "up & down" but not "down & up" so much.

He habitually pretends he's a victim. - Sounds perfectly natural to me (I wouldn't use the "that".)

He pretends he's a victim with ease. - Nah! Sounds awkward.
He easily pretends he's a victim. - It's OK, but somehow 'being' a victim and doing something easily don't quite fit together for me. *

"Habitually", "often", "usually", "always", "chronically" - all these seem to fit in well.
Possibly because a person's character is 'chronic' - it lasts through time - so time-adverbs sound good.

Thank you very much, Drag0nspeaker, for your reply.

I just looked up the dictionary.
After reading your explanation (marked *), what I meant at first by the phrase 'with ease' seems to be better expressed by the phrases 'be apt to ' 'be likely to ' 'tend to ' and 'have a tendency to '.
I think all the phrases have the idea of 'with ease' or 'easily'.
So,
He is apt to pretend he's a victim. etc.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 5:46:49 AM

Neurons: 185,329
Ah!
To me, "He pretends that he's a victim easily" or "He pretends he's a victim with ease" means "He is adept at acting as a victim." or "He is a good actor when he pretends to be a victim - it comes easily to him - he does not have difficulty acting that role."

"He easily pretends that he's a victim" might have an idea of "He tends to pretend he's a victim", but it's ambiguous - my first thought is the same as above.

I think I'd use "He tends to pretend . . ." though all the other synonyms you gave would work. (I tend to use short phrases!)

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, December 16, 2018 9:55:40 AM

Neurons: 52,657
My first thought for rewording was, "He feigns (being) the victim with ease".

While feigns and pretends have very similar meanings, feigns conveys to me the idea of deliberately faking with intent to deceive and fits well.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit