The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Breakfast cereal Options
Atatürk
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 4:52:10 PM

Neurons: 4,816
Writing, visualising and prototyping can stimulate the flow of new ideas. Cialdini cites scores of research papers and historical events that prove that even something as simple as writing deepens every individual’s engagement in the project. It is, he says, the reason why all those competitions on breakfast cereal packets encouraged us to write in saying, in no more than 10 words: ‘I like Kellogg’s Com Flakes because… .’ The very act of writing makes us more likely to believe it.

I don't get the story of breakfast cereal. How does it contribute to the main idea of the paragraph?

Ite, maledicti, in ignem aeternum!
Atatürk
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 4:58:53 PM

Does it mean when we write something, we are inclined to believe it unconsciously?

Romany
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 5:46:28 PM

Neurons: 48,400

Ataturk -

Did you miss this bit? : - "...the reason why all those competitions on breakfast cereal packets encouraged us to write in..."

It's very easy to answer your question - but you need to try to make sense of the language too - there won't always be someone you can ask each time you find something is not immediately clear.

Even if there is nothing in your own culture which connects breakfast cereal and write-in competitions - read the sentence fragment I supplied once more and then tell us what you think it's talking about. If you do that and get it right, there's nothing we NEED to explain: the whole text will start making sense.

The underlying message of my writing this is: have more confidence in your own ability! English isn't a deep mystery: - you are already at a level where, if you read more mindfully, you have the skills to interpret descriptive text rather than direct statements.

(It also helps us to see where you are going wrong in interpretation and why)
Atatürk
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2018 4:16:51 AM

Thank you Romany. You are right.

Here is my understanding:

They hold write-in competitions for their cereal because this writing process will encourage them believe in what they write. This is one of the so many examples Cialdini cites to prove his argument.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2018 5:28:44 AM

Neurons: 201,989
That's good. The meaning is just right.

It is very obvious what you mean, but one point which would lose you marks in an exam is the double use of 'they' with no 'reference noun' between.
They hold competitions ("they" means the cereal producers)
they write ("they" is the cereal consumers)

They hold write-in competitions for their cereal because this writing process will encourage consumers to believe in what they write. This is one of the so many examples Cialdini cites to prove his argument.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Atatürk
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2018 6:40:40 AM

Thank you.

Romany
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2018 7:44:19 AM

Neurons: 48,400

Ataturk - Sorry I didn't get back to you in time - 'tis the season to be busy right now, and work is taking up so much time both during and after work hours.

But glad to see Drago was able to give you a response to what, as he said, was the right meaning! Well done!

English can be, and is, used in a way that eschews the direct meaning, and it can be confusing when learners hit this realisation.However, once you have confidence that your language skills allow you to understand this, (which I hope you do by now!) you'll find it becomes easier and easier not to get too muddled or confused.