The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

HUMAN RIGHTS Options
Nish
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2018 1:50:34 AM

Neurons: 1,164
Hi, just curious to know how is human rights law in your own country?
Do you believe that while it is crucial, it is also being exploited for political aims?

thanks for your answers in advance.

PS: I have not opened my account here since couple of years ago. It is good to be back :)

-NISH

Yeshua.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 4:53:05 AM

Neurons: 452,373
Nordic countries are usually thought the best followers to all the UN- and other international treaties and laws.
Still, we have lots to do even here.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
progpen
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2018 10:54:24 AM

Neurons: 329,522
I believe that the health of a nation can be measured by how it treats its weakest and poorest. And with this I feel that the US has lost significant ground over the past 30 years.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2018 6:34:38 AM

Neurons: 187,383
Well, hello again!
Looking at the Universal Declaration, I would say that everywhere has a lot of work to do - not least, Britain.

There's a lot being done, and a lot of noise about it, but I feel that a lot of it is in the wrong direction (or - more correctly - in the direction of handling lesser problems while ignoring elephants in the room).

Major flaps about some poor person at university who was called 'she' by a lecturer when he really feels he's an 'it' - while London is the hub of the European teen and under-fourteen sex slavery industry - seems a little off-target somehow.

My opinion is that if anyone majorly works at denying others their human rights, they declare themselves to be in disagreement with the rights, so cannot expect to be treated in accordance with the declaration. No jail, no food at taxpayer's expense, no rights - they denied that those rights exist. Once found unmistakably guilty (and usually it's not hard to see) they are 'unhuman' and have no rights.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
progpen
Posted: Saturday, December 15, 2018 4:06:01 AM

Neurons: 329,522
Just a little bit to back up my broad comments.
https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2018/country-chapters/united-states

Poor defendants throughout the United States are locked up in pretrial detention because they cannot afford to post bail. A 2017 Human Rights Watch report demonstrated that pretrial detention—often resulting from failure to pay bail—coerces people, some innocent, into pleading guilty just to get out of jail. A movement to reduce the use of money bail is growing in the US, with several states implementing, and others considering reform.

Many states and counties fund their court systems, including judges, prosecutors, and public defenders, partly or entirely via fees and fines imposed on criminal and traffic defendants. The privatization of misdemeanor probation services by several US states has led to abuses, including fees structured by private probation companies to penalize poor offenders.

Nearly 50,000 youth age 17 and younger are held in juvenile prisons or other confinement facilities on any given day in the US, and approximately 5,000 more are incarcerated in adult jails or prisons. Every year, 200,000 people under 18 have contact with the adult criminal system, with many children tried automatically as adults.

Police continue to kill black people in numbers disproportionate to their overall share of the population. Black people are 2.5 times as likely as white to be killed by police. An unarmed black person is five times as likely to be killed by police as an unarmed white person.

We do have our share of people who believe their issues are 'human rights' issues, but clearly are not. That does not negate or even diminish the severity of the true human rights issues in the US at this time.

The individuals most likely to suffer abuse in the United States—including members of racial and ethnic minorities, immigrants, children, the poor, and prisoners—are often least able to defend their rights in court or via the political process. Many vulnerable groups endured renewed attacks on their rights during the year. Other longstanding US laws and practices—particularly related to criminal and juvenile justice, immigration, and national security—continued to violate internationally recognized human rights.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum