The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

last time vs formerly Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2018 9:10:37 PM

Neurons: 18,409
“Football used to be one of the sports where Malaysia used to be strong at and won consistently, now the country is being left behind,” he said.

He said Japan had achieved great success quickly and were a very good team although they used to trail Malaysia last time.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/mahathir-malaysia-vietnam-suzuki-cup-football-national-team-11011172

Shouldn't it be 'win' and 'formerly' instead?

Thanks.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, December 7, 2018 10:21:14 PM

Neurons: 429,285
I read the article. Using win or won depends on how the speaker thinks of the sake. I'd use formerly in the latter case.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
thar
Posted: Saturday, December 8, 2018 2:05:37 AM

Neurons: 73,900
Yes, two major mistakes here.

If you say it used to be one of the sports where Malaysia used to win, that is two steps back - before before.

Either it is one of the sports where they used to win, or it used to be one of the sports where they won.

ie either football stopped being a sport they won at, or they stopped winning at football. But not both.

The last time is one occasion out of many occasions - eg Japan lost to Malaysia they last time they met in a major competition.

'Formerly' is not very good though, because it feels out of place. And again, it is redundant with 'used to'. I think the problem is that 'trail'' is wrong. It is understandable that that means they were 'behind' or lower in the rankings, but it is just not expressed as a full metaphor.

Japan used to trail behind Malaysia in the football rankings.
Japan was consistently lower-ranked than Malaysia in the past.

etc.
It is just a bit too clumsy as written, I think.