The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

The most proper English name Options
Minhyuk
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:42:03 AM

Neurons: 5
Hi, I would like to ask for native English speakers’ opinion on the best way to write down my English name.

My name is Minhyuk Lim(Korean name), and in the most of business circumstances, foreign business partners do not know how to pronounce Minhyuk. In fact, my name, just like the most of Korean names, is consist of two syllables (Min + Hyuk) written in two separate letters in Korean. So I normally use just Min as an English name, not using the second syllable ‘Hyuk’.

I have been called as Min and would like to keep being called Min going forward. At the same time, however, I would like to represent my full name in my corporate namecard or the like. What could be the best way to write down my name among examples as below?

Min (Minhyuk) Lim
Minhyuk (Min) Lim
Min H. Lim
Min Lim
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 6:03:41 AM

Neurons: 182,345
The normally used convention for Korean names is to write both personal names separately, then the family name at the end. Some people use a hyphen (Min-Hyuk) but others don't (Min Hyuk)

Jang-Hyun Park, Sam-Jun Seo, Gwi-Tae Park, Sung Hyun Park.

If you want to be known as 'Min', then I would write (to strangers) "Min (Min-Hyuk) Lim" - and to friends and acquaintances "Min Lim" or just "Min".

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!