The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Soundtrack Options
Amybal
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 12:07:30 AM

Neurons: 2,383
Hi, there is anything wrong in these sentences?

Hey Anak Muda is the original soundtrack song for comedy film “Berani Jadi Papa” by Dato’ Awie, award-winning Malaysian rock singer, host and actor.
palapaguy
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 12:36:00 AM

Neurons: 11,310
Amybal wrote:
Hi, there is anything wrong in these sentences?

Hey Anak Muda is the original soundtrack song for comedy film “Berani Jadi Papa” by Dato’ Awie, award-winning Malaysian rock singer, host and actor.

Yes, there is. The regulars here don't get bahasa melayu. Try bahasa inggeris.
Amybal
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 5:48:15 AM

Hi palapaguy,

It's written in English.

Hey Anak Muda- This is a song title
Berani Jadi Papa- The movie Title
Dato’ Awie- He is a singer

Romany
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2018 1:35:15 PM

Neurons: 46,157
Palapaguy -

actually, there are more than one or two people here who ARE familiar with the Malay language!

But I think it may have been rather hurtfull to Amybal, as a learner of English, to be told her sentence was written in Malaysian. She missed out signifiers: "the" and "an"...because she is still learning. But there is no indication here that she's speaking Malay.

Neglecting to put the song title in italics was what was confusing: without knowing that "Hey" was part of the title caused one to stop after the first couple of words and wonder how "Hey" came into the sentence. So she asked - which is the sensible thing to do - how to phrase the sentence in International English. Pretty sure she wouldn't want the answer in Bahasa Inggeris, in which she is probably fluent.
Amybal
Posted: Saturday, December 1, 2018 9:00:56 AM

Thank you so much for your kindness and understanding, Romany.

Neglecting to put the song title in italics was what was confusing:
I'll be very careful next time.

The correct line should be as:
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 7:17:52 AM

Neurons: 182,345
Hi!
Your final sentence is fine.

It's surprising to me to see the misunderstandings which could be caused by punctuation.

I originally read your sentence as a question you were asking your friend Anak Muda:

Hey Anak Muda! Is the original soundtrack song for the comedy film (the film you know I mean) called “Berani Jadi Papa” by Dato’ Awie (the award-winning Malaysian rock singer, host and actor)?

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Amybal
Posted: Sunday, December 2, 2018 10:34:59 PM

Hi Drag0nspeaker,

In order to avoid the sentence as a question, can I suggest as below:

Enjoy this original soundtrack song "Hey Anak Muda" for the comedy film called “Berani Jadi Papa” by Dato’ Awie, the award-winning Malaysian rock singer, host and actor.

Question: Would be an issue of I omit the symbol "" for Hey Anak Muda and Berani Jadi Papa. ?
srirr
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 12:04:16 AM

Neurons: 301,042
Amybal, a couple of suggestions.

Quote:
Hi, is there is anything wrong in this these sentence sentences?

Conventionally the song titles or movie names should be written in italics (and sometimes bold or bold italics) to clearly make it distinct in the sentence. We may also use inverted commas ("..."). Please remember that copying a text from one word editor to another may sometimes result in clearing the basic formatting. Like if you copy your sentence from here to notepad on your computer, you won't be able to notice the bold and italicized text there. Everything will be in plain text. So, it should be carefully seen where to use inverted commas and bold/ italic text.

In your original sentence, using italics will make it clear for readers that it is not a question and "Hey Anak Muda" is the title of the track.

Another point: It looks like an instance of misplaced phrase. I reckon Dato’ Awie is singer of the song "Hey Anak Muda". But the sentence gives an impression that the movie “Berani Jadi Papa” is produced by Dato’ Awie who is also a singer, host and actor.

I would suggest

Hey Anak Muda is the original soundtrack song by Dato’ Awie, award-winning Malaysian rock singer, host and actor, for the comedy film Berani Jadi Papa.

It is being inferred that Dato’ Awie has sung the song. If he is the composer of the song, it should be clearly mentioned to avoid ambiguity.

We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. ~ Swami Vivekanand
Amybal
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 4:47:46 AM

Thank you, srirr.

It is being inferred that Dato’ Awie has sung the song. If he is the composer of the song, it should be clearly mentioned to avoid ambiguity.
Basically the song sung by him but he's not the composer. Hey Anak Muda is the song from the film Berani Jadi Papa.

So, this sounds like Dato' Awie is the singer and composer for this song. It gives different meaning I guess from what I wanted to say. "Hey Anak Muda" is the original soundtrack song by Dato’ Awie, award-winning Malaysian rock singer, host and actor, for the comedy film Berani Jadi Papa.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 4:54:53 AM

Neurons: 182,345
Hi again.

Yes - it was only the punctuation which made it seem to me (as I don't know your language enough to recognise a person's name!) like a question.
You have to think of poor foreigners like me, who only speak one or two languages! Whistle Whistle

Your suggestion - Hey Anak Muda is the original soundtrack song for comedy film “Berani Jadi Papa” by Dato’ Awie, award-winning Malaysian rock singer, host and actor - is good.

However, I didn't think of this, (I just accepted the sentence) but Srirr is correct.

Your sentence says (to me) that Dato’ Awie - as a multi-talented person - created the film Berani Jadi Papa and may also have written and sung the song Hey Anak Muda.
At least he starred in the film (probably also directed it).
It is a "film by Dato' Awie" - and "soundtrack song (for comedy film “Berani Jadi Papa”) by Dato’ Awie".

If you only mean that he sang the song, then the phrase "by Dato’ Awie" needs to be moved to connect with the song - as Srirr suggests.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!