The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Is "although" used correctly? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 9:32:57 PM

Neurons: 18,409
The workers who were clearing the drain had left for home although the drain was still flooded.

Is "although" used correctly?
palapaguy
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 9:50:49 PM

Neurons: 11,310
Yes, but I would prefer "even though" here.
Koh Elaine
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2018 9:55:30 PM

Neurons: 18,409
palapaguy wrote:

Thanks.
Niranjan L. Bhale
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 6:26:25 AM

Neurons: 740,663
Koh Elaine wrote:
The workers who were clearing the drain had left for home although the drain was still flooded.

Is "although" used correctly?

even though seems to be a better choice
pjharvey
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 6:54:33 AM

Neurons: 58,961
palapaguy wrote:

Is there a difference in meaning between although and even though? I didn't know.
Romany
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2018 8:55:43 AM

Neurons: 46,180
pj -

I don't think there's an actual a difference in meaning - but there definitely is a difference in nuance or emphasis.

If the main purpose of their work was to clear a drain for immediate use i.e. they went there to get the drain cleared and running again in one operation, we'd probably tend to use "even though". "Even though they didn't finish what they were supposed to do, they still just left everything and cleared off home." It's important...they didn't do what they were supposed to do.

"They went home although the work on the drain wasn't completed." Just means they were unable to complete the job that day - it was a big job which could take days to finish so they went home ready to take up the same work the next day. Going home was neither the wrong nor an exceptional thing to do. They were just doing their job.

As the sentence stands in isolation we have no way of know if it is a complaint or just a record of events. It's thus impossible to have a preference for either 'although' or 'even though' in this case. The most important thing is: there's nothing wrong with this isolated sentence, either way.

pjharvey
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 4:18:25 AM

Romany wrote:
pj -

I don't think there's an actual a difference in meaning - but there definitely is a difference in nuance or emphasis.

If the main purpose of their work was to clear a drain for immediate use i.e. they went there to get the drain cleared and running again in one operation, we'd probably tend to use "even though". "Even though they didn't finish what they were supposed to do, they still just left everything and cleared off home." It's important...they didn't do what they were supposed to do.

"They went home although the work on the drain wasn't completed." Just means they were unable to complete the job that day - it was a big job which could take days to finish so they went home ready to take up the same work the next day. Going home was neither the wrong nor an exceptional thing to do. They were just doing their job.

As the sentence stands in isolation we have no way of know if it is a complaint or just a record of events. It's thus impossible to have a preference for either 'although' or 'even though' in this case. The most important thing is: there's nothing wrong with this isolated sentence, either way.

Romany, thanks a lot for your answer, and please excuse me for checking it only now.
I must say I am not sure I understand the difference in nuance. Your first example is very clear, but the second is not - to me.
""They went home although the work on the drain wasn't completed." Just means they were unable to complete the job that day - it was a big job which could take days to finish so they went home ready to take up the same work the next day. Going home was neither the wrong nor an exceptional thing to do. They were just doing their job." Then why use "although"? Isn't it completely useless in this case?
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, December 5, 2018 4:38:59 AM

Neurons: 46,180
pj - mate, how much experience have you had with workmen!!

Sure, they may be sent out to do a "little" job, or promise it will only take a short time to fix...but once they start the job they find it's going to take much longer.

The people may have been told that the job was only going to take a day......but it didn't. So the "although" would still fit perfectly well. They had to leave it un-fixed although it had been hoped it would be sorted out by the end of the day.

Make any sense?
pjharvey
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 3:43:06 AM

Well, now I am even more confused.
I have had so much of the unpleasant experience you describe - with my home left a mess and me having to have dinner and sleep in it all the same. And, if you mean that "even though" is stronger in nuance than "although", then I'd definitely apply "even though" to the case.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:13:26 PM

Neurons: 51,966
pjharvey wrote:
Well, now I am even more confused.
I have had so much of the unpleasant experience you describe - with my home left a mess and me having to have dinner and sleep in it all the same. And, if you mean that "even though" is stronger in nuance than "although", then I'd definitely apply "even though" to the case.

I think for most of us, "even though" carries the sense of having the expectation of completion, but failing to do so.

"Although" doesn't carry that sense of expectation. It conveys the sense that this might be expected, so there isn't the sense of criticism attached.

In your scenario, if your home is left a mess and you have to have dinner and sleep in it anyway, "even though" might fit better because you can have the expectation that it should have been cleaned before you came home. You home is a mess "even though" it could have been prevented.

If there were pets, sick family members, and other work that needed to be done, then you might be able to say, "my home was a mess although there were circumstances that have to be taken into account". This relieves the idea of expecting everything to be clean at home.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
pjharvey
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2018 5:15:45 AM

Thank you, FounDit. It's crystal clear now.