The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

an unnecessary comma before the dependent clause marker 'because, since' (Punctuation) Options
A cooperator
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2018 8:34:52 PM

Neurons: 10,567
Hi Everyone!

I was corrected it appears that I have an unnecessary comma before the dependent clause marker "because, since, if".

I decided to PM you, since I don't want to be drawn into an argument on the forum with anyone.
I decided to PM you, because I don't want to be drawn into an argument on the forum with anyone.
I could lend you, If I were rich.

But, when 'as' is written, there is no punctuation error with the comma or without it.
I decided to PM you, as I don't want to be drawn into an argument on the forum with anyone.
I decided to PM you as I don't want to be drawn into an argument on the forum with anyone.

There is no punctuation error with the comma or without it.
If I were rich, I could lend you.
If I were rich I could lend you.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2018 2:17:39 AM

Neurons: 179,317
Punctuation, generally, is used to show how a sentence is spoken.
A full stop in a written piece indicates a stop - a pause - in the speech.
A comma indicates a shorter pause.

A speaker might pause between the two parts of the sentences - or might not.
These sentences could be said either way. If you use a comma, it sounds like you said the first part, hesitated and thought something like "I should explain that", and then said the second part.

I would not normally use a comma in any of them.

I decided to PM you, since I don't want to be drawn into an argument on the forum with anyone.
I decided to PM you, because I don't want to be drawn into an argument on the forum with anyone.
I decided to PM you since I don't want to be drawn into an argument on the forum with anyone.
I decided to PM you because I don't want to be drawn into an argument on the forum with anyone.
I decided to PM you, as I don't want to be drawn into an argument on the forum with anyone.
I decided to PM you as I don't want to be drawn into an argument on the forum with anyone.

I could lend you, If I were rich.
If I were rich, I could lend you.
If I were rich I could lend you.

These do not make sense. "lend" requires an object - what is lent?

The first sounds more normal without a pause, the second sounds better to me with a slight pause.
I could lend you some money if I were rich.
If I were rich, I could lend you some money.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!