The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

as....and as.... Options
Atatürk
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2018 1:39:09 PM

Neurons: 270
As the studies conducted so far about the effectiveness of hope-enhancing therapy on the strengths under the category of the Justice on depressed patients, and as this training can make a difference in such people’s lifestyle, this study seeks an answer to the following question: Can hope-therapy training affect the rate of behavioral abilities in dysthymia cases and change their lifestyle?

Is the grammar okay?

FounDit
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2018 3:32:59 PM

Neurons: 51,343
Atatürk wrote:

I can't make sense of parts of it.
The first sentence mentions studies about the effectiveness of hope-enhancing therapy on the strengths under the category of the Justice (? what strengths, and what Justice, and how are those two related?)

Next is the wording abut affecting the rate of behavioral abilities. This doesn't make sense either. A person behaves in a particular way unique to them, but there isn't a rate of change I'm aware of in such behaviors.

As the studies conducted so far about the effectiveness of hope-enhancing therapy on the strengths under the category of the Justice on depressed patients, and as this training can make a difference in such people’s lifestyle, this study seeks an answer to the following question: Can hope-therapy training affect the rate of behavioral abilities in dysthymia cases and change their lifestyle?

Is the grammar okay?

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Atatürk
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2018 11:33:54 AM

"strength" and "justice" are terms used by some psychologists, previously mentioned in the article:

The concepts of character strengths and virtues have been first introduced by Peterson and Seligman (2004); according to them, people with subjective well-being possess these strengths (Schneider et al., 2002). After performing extensive research, Peterson and Seligman came up with six universal virtues: Wisdom, Courage, Humanity, Justice, Temperance, and Transcendence, which in turn are made up of 24 character strengths:
1. Wisdom: creativity, curiosity, open-mindedness, love of learning, perspective, innovation
2. Courage: bravery, persistence, integrity, vitality, zest
3. Humanity: love, kindness, social intelligence
4. Justice: citizenship, fairness, leadership
5. Temperance: forgiveness and mercy, humility, prudence, self-control
6. Transcendence: appreciation of beauty and excellence, gratitude, hope, humor, spirituality

Could you suggest any improvements now?
FounDit
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2018 12:32:59 PM

Ah, character strengths. Ok. That helps with the first part. But I still will have to take a guess on that last part.

This is what I think you are trying to say:

You wrote:

I suggest:
As studies conducted so far have shown hope-enhancing therapy to be effective in improving the character strengths under the Justice category (i.e., citizenship, fairness, leadership) in depressed patients, this study seeks to answer the following question: Can hope-therapy training affect the behavior of dysthymia patients and thus change their lifestyles?

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Atatürk
Posted: Friday, November 9, 2018 3:36:37 PM

Sorry, I left something in the original:

As the studies conducted so far about the effectiveness of hope-enhancing therapy have not attended to the strengths under the category of the Justice on depressed patients, and as such training can make a difference in such people’s lifestyle, this study seeks an answer to the following question: Can hope-therapy training affect the rate of behavioral abilities in dysthymia cases and change their lifestyle?
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2018 12:38:39 PM

Atatürk wrote:
Sorry, I left something in the original:

As the studies conducted so far about the effectiveness of hope-enhancing therapy have not attended to the strengths under the category of the Justice on depressed patients, and as such training can make a difference in such people’s lifestyle, this study seeks an answer to the following question: Can hope-therapy training affect the rate of behavioral abilities in dysthymia cases and change their lifestyle?

In that case, I might suggest:

As studies conducted so far have shown hope-enhancing therapy to be ineffective in improving the character strengths under the Justice category (i.e., citizenship, fairness, leadership) in depressed patients, this study seeks to answer the following question: Can hope-therapy training have any positive affect on the behavior of dysthymia patients and improve their lives?

I wasn't really comfortable with that final phrase, so I changed it to this.