The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Whence come the highest mountains? ... They come out of the sea. That testimony is inscribed on their stones, and on the... Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 76,398
Whence come the highest mountains? ... They come out of the sea. That testimony is inscribed on their stones, and on the walls of their summits. Out of the deepest must the highest come to its height.

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
KSPavan
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2018 12:27:55 AM

Neurons: 2,696,277
Quotation of the Day

Whence come the highest mountains? ... They come out of the sea. That testimony is inscribed on their stones, and on the walls of their summits. Out of the deepest must the highest come to its height.

Bully_rus
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2018 1:08:10 AM

Neurons: 194,940
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. Though it is debatable whether the height is of more importance than the depth... Moreover, the width has its vantages too.
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2018 7:07:39 AM

Neurons: 4,707,742

Context from: Thus Spake Zarathustra, by Friedrich Nietzsche

The Wanderer.

Thus spake Zarathustra to himself while ascending, comforting his heart with harsh maxims: for he was sore at heart as he had never been before. And when he had reached the top of the mountain-ridge, behold, there lay the other sea spread out before him: and he stood still and was long silent. The night, however, was cold at this height, and clear and starry.

I recognise my destiny, said he at last, sadly. Well! I am ready. Now hath my last lonesomeness begun.

Ah, this sombre, sad sea, below me! Ah, this sombre nocturnal vexation! Ah, fate and sea! To you must I now GO down!

Before my highest mountain do I stand, and before my longest wandering: therefore must I first go deeper down than I ever ascended:

— Deeper down into pain than I ever ascended, even into its darkest flood! So willeth my fate. Well! I am ready.

Whence come the highest mountains? so did I once ask. Then did I learn that they come out of the sea.

That testimony is inscribed on their stones, and on the walls of their summits. Out of the deepest must the highest come to its height. —

Thus spake Zarathustra on the ridge of the mountain where it was cold: when, however, he came into the vicinity of the sea, and at last stood alone amongst the cliffs, then had he become weary on his way, and eagerer than ever before.

Everything as yet sleepeth, said he; even the sea sleepeth. Drowsily and strangely doth its eye gaze upon me.

But it breatheth warmly—I feel it. And I feel also that it dreameth. It tosseth about dreamily on hard pillows.

Hark! Hark! How it groaneth with evil recollections! Or evil expectations?

Ah, I am sad along with thee, thou dusky monster, and angry with myself even for thy sake.

Ah, that my hand hath not strength enough! Gladly, indeed, would I free thee from evil dreams! —

And while Zarathustra thus spake, he laughed at himself with melancholy and bitterness. What! Zarathustra, said he, wilt thou even sing consolation to the sea?

Ah, thou amiable fool, Zarathustra, thou too-blindly confiding one! But thus hast thou ever been: ever hast thou approached confidently all that is terrible.

Read more: https://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/n/nietzsche/friedrich/n67a/chapter45.html

thar
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2018 8:55:11 AM

Neurons: 73,042
Also sprach Zarathustra

That is German, not English.

Given that he wrote in German at the end of the nineteenth century, why is his work written in Middle English that even the writers of the King James Bible would find old-fashioned? Whistle

What is it about translating philosophy, from ancient Greek to recent German, that makes people write it in late Mediaeval English! Whistle
Emel Rapchan
Posted: Thursday, November 8, 2018 9:34:35 AM

Neurons: 318,835
Everything became this reality smaller and grows up through time.
Even the Universe and Life became smaller than nowaday's wise knowledge.
The force of existence is within the thing itself. It became to be in the deep and ends up higher and grown.