The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

a great big thank you Options
A cooperator
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:07:40 PM

Neurons: 10,557
Hi Everyone!

Firstly: I know that 'thanks' can be dealt as plural or singular. But, what does the indefinite article 'a' in the 'a great big thank you' go with?

Secondly: Is the phrase "a great big thank you" an idiom which can be taken as a unit "We want to say "a great big thank you" to our sponsors for this year! Thanks to them we are able to....."

A big thank you to our sponsors!
A special thanks to you.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:44:05 PM

Neurons: 179,177
It's not a common grammatical form, really - but it is fairly common as a single phrase "a great big 'thank you'".

Really, it's just this, in short.
'I'd like to say a sentence. I would like to make it a big, noticeable, important statement.
That sentence is "Thank you!"'

"Thank you" is used as a noun.
"Great big" is an adjectival phrase.
"A" is the article for the noun-phrase "great big 'thank you'".

It's not exactly an idiom (an idiom usually has a meaning which is hidden - you cannot understand it from the words) - but, yes, it is a 'special phrase' which is used commonly - this is why I put it in inverted commas; to show that it is not being used in the normal way.

"Hello" can be used like this too.

And a great big 'Hello' to all the viewers who have just joined us.
I'd like to say a great big 'Hello' to my mother who will be watching us tonight.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
renee talley 1
Posted: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 7:00:37 PM

Neurons: 2,729
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It's not a common grammatical form, really - but it is fairly common as a single phrase "a great big 'thank you'".

Really, it's just this, in short.
'I'd like to say a sentence. I would like to make it a big, noticeable, important statement.
That sentence is "Thank you!"'

"Thank you" is used as a noun.
"Great big" is an adjectival phrase.
"A" is the article for the noun-phrase "great big 'thank you'".

It's not exactly an idiom (an idiom usually has a meaning which is hidden - you cannot understand it from the words) - but, yes, it is a 'special phrase' which is used commonly - this is why I put it in inverted commas; to show that it is not being used in the normal way.

"Hello" can be used like this too.

And a great big 'Hello' to all the viewers who have just joined us.
I'd like to say a great big 'Hello' to my mother who will be watching us tonight.
When you give others creates a warm fuzzy feeling inside of you.Merci' Beau Coupe indicates thank you very much. Being grateful recognizing that you are a noble gentleman and a down to earth person1!!Dancing Dancing Whistle Applause Applause Applause Applause