The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

I have a problem in understanding this sentence fragment 'it seemed exasperated' Options
riverbottom
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 12:07:06 PM

Neurons: 150
Hello everyone. I'm reading a book about the Simpsons. I have a problem in understanding this sentence fragment 'it seemed exasperated'. Do I understand correctly that sentence means 'it seemed angry or wicked'?

Quote:
Starting in Season 8 though, the tone of those jokes changed markedly. Where the show had once been fond of an occasional subtle nudge to let the audience know that it was aware of the absurdities of episodic television (Burns never remembering Homer, Marge reminding Bart that he hasn’t used any of his famous catchphrases in four years), now it seemed exasperated or downright indifferent. For all its great moments, “The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show” is about nothing so much as the show throwing up its hands at its own audience. And when “Burns, Baby Burns” ends with a spontaneous party after a dire and rather lengthy police chase, Homer shrugs his shoulders and says, “It doesn’t have to make sense”.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 12:29:55 PM

Neurons: 51,295
riverbottom wrote:
Hello everyone. I'm reading a book about the Simpsons. I have a problem in understanding this sentence fragment 'it seemed exasperated'. Do I understand correctly that sentence means 'it seemed angry or wicked'?
The author seems to be saying that it's not that the writers were wicked so much as they seemed annoyed, or angry. Something caused a change in the way the show was crafted; as if they had run out of ideas and were simply throwing things into the mix just to fill up time, whether or not it made sense, as Homer said.

Quote:
Starting in Season 8 though, the tone of those jokes changed markedly. Where the show had once been fond of an occasional subtle nudge to let the audience know that it was aware of the absurdities of episodic television (Burns never remembering Homer, Marge reminding Bart that he hasn’t used any of his famous catchphrases in four years), now it seemed exasperated or downright indifferent. For all its great moments, “The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show” is about nothing so much as the show throwing up its hands at its own audience. And when “Burns, Baby Burns” ends with a spontaneous party after a dire and rather lengthy police chase, Homer shrugs his shoulders and says, “It doesn’t have to make sense”.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Romany
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 12:40:44 PM

Neurons: 45,380

riverbottom -

the "it" in the sentence refers to 'the show'. Of course a "show" is not a person - what is meant is "Where the people who were producing, writing for, presenting the show had once been fond of...." which is a really long sentence!

In the same way you might hear "The whole school went to the funeral." Obviously it doesn't mean the school buildings moved....it means that the pupils, teachers, nurses, gardners, etc were all there.
riverbottom
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 12:45:11 PM

Neurons: 150
FounDit wrote:
riverbottom wrote:
The author seems to be saying that it's not that the writers were wicked so much as they seemed annoyed, or angry. Something caused a change in the way the show was crafted; as if they had run out of ideas and were simply throwing things into the mix just to fill up time, whether or not it made sense, as Homer said.
Thanks a lot! One more thing. I'm not sure about this line '“The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show” is about nothing so much as the show throwing up its hands at its own audience'. What's the point? As far as I know that episode was satire showbiz. Does that sentence mean that the show attacked his own fanbase?

Quote:
FounDit
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 1:48:00 PM

Neurons: 51,295
riverbottom wrote:
FounDit wrote:
riverbottom wrote:
Thanks a lot! One more thing. I'm not sure about this line '“The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show” is about nothing so much as the show throwing up its hands at its own audience'. What's the point? As far as I know that episode was satire showbiz. Does that sentence mean that the show attacked his own fanbase?
Not an attack, but more closely related to the idea I mentioned about the Simpsons. The idea of "throwing up its hands" conveys the idea of being exasperated, or not really caring if what is done makes any sense, or achieves any real point. The author seems to be saying that in both cases, the writers appear to have given up on crafting anything of value or worth, and just threw together anything that came into their minds.

Quote:

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
NKM
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 5:22:21 PM

Neurons: 274,634
Superannuated curmudgeon that I am, I find myself wondering why anyone would want to read a book about "The Simpsons" — or, for that matter, what could lead someone to consider writing such a book.

Just sayin' ….

Whistle

Niranjan L. Bhale
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2018 2:46:17 AM

Neurons: 725,258
It has reached to a state of dire irritation.