The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

highway Options
Atatürk
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 11:01:42 AM

Neurons: 250
Although taking revenge is a natural response to victimization, forgiveness is a highway to mental health.

Is this natural?
FounDit
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 11:17:00 AM

Neurons: 51,335
Atatürk wrote:
Although taking revenge is a natural response to victimization, forgiveness is a highway to mental health.

Is this natural?

I assume you are asking if the word order seems natural. It is, and reads well.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 12:34:14 PM

Neurons: 179,177
It's not 'natural' in the sense that "Oh yes, you'll hear people saying that in the pub!"

However, it is a good sentence - very clear and easily understood.
It is worded in the more formal phrasing which fits an article in a journal.

However, (personally) I wouldn't conclude a scientifically-researched article with an emotional opinion like that.

Maybe you believe that forgiveness is a highway to mental health.
I am pretty certain that that is not what is proven by the facts you are presenting in the article.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 12:49:39 PM

Neurons: 6,935
It seems a little unatural to me as in British English the term "Highway" refers to all roads even small,twisty tracks that lead to nowhere.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 1:40:09 PM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
It's not 'natural' in the sense that "Oh yes, you'll hear people saying that in the pub!"

However, it is a good sentence - very clear and easily understood.
It is worded in the more formal phrasing which fits an article in a journal.

However, (personally) I wouldn't conclude a scientifically-researched article with an emotional opinion like that.

Maybe you believe that forgiveness is a highway to mental health.
I am pretty certain that that is not what is proven by the facts you are presenting in the article.

I don't work in that field, but I have studied it extensively over the years, and it seems to me that forgiveness is one of the central strategies suggested for achieving mental health when feeling victimized.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 1:48:04 PM

FounDit wrote:
I don't work in that field, but I have studied it extensively over the years, and it seems to me that forgiveness is one of the central strategies suggested for achieving mental health when feeling victimised.

Hmmm Think perhaps that's why no psychiatrist will claim to have ever cured anyone - the strategy doesn't work.

I don't advocate attacking the other person - but just sitting there, forgiving them, while continuing to be effect of the victimisation somehow doesn't make me confident of being in a good mental state.
I'm afraid "turn the other cheek" never quite appealed as a strategy.

Romany
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 2:00:39 PM

Neurons: 45,380

I'm with you, Drago. I can't just "feel" forgiving about some of the things that have happened to me. Some things are unforgivable.

And actually, I've never been asked to. The emphasis by shrinks/counsellors etc. is to accept that something happened and learn how to cope with that reality. Once you do that you become completely indifferent to the perpetrator. You honestly wouldn't feel any different whether they prospered or were punished; lived or died.

NKM
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 5:14:54 PM

Neurons: 274,854
I've no qualms about the grammar or the figurative use of "highway", but I'd be more comfortable with "can be a highway …".

FounDit
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 11:04:04 PM

Drag0nspeaker wrote:
FounDit wrote:
I don't work in that field, but I have studied it extensively over the years, and it seems to me that forgiveness is one of the central strategies suggested for achieving mental health when feeling victimised.

Hmmm Think perhaps that's why no psychiatrist will claim to have ever cured anyone - the strategy doesn't work.

I don't advocate attacking the other person - but just sitting there, forgiving them, while continuing to be effect of the victimisation somehow doesn't make me confident of being in a good mental state.
I'm afraid "turn the other cheek" never quite appealed as a strategy.

I agree, and I'm not saying forgiveness is necessarily the best strategy; just that some friends who have had counseling have told me that was one of the strategies suggested, and it is one I have read as being offered when it was thought to be an effective method.

I also agree with Romany that some things are unforgivable; that often the best way to deal with such events is to cope by adapting and overcoming. No doubt many of us have had experiences that left very large scars. But our scars only tell us where we've been, not who we are. That's one reason why I have little patience with folks who want to live their lives as a perpetual victim.

coag
Posted: Saturday, November 3, 2018 3:00:51 PM

Neurons: 5,805
I am an ESL speaker and the use of "highway" in the context of: revenge, victimization, forgiveness and mental health, seems unnatural to me. "Highway" sounds too technical, too civil-engineering, in this context.

I would use "path" instead of "highway", and NKM's suggestion:
Although taking revenge is a natural response to victimization, forgiveness can be a path to mental health.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2018 4:14:15 AM

Yes coag - or "route" sounds quite good to me.