The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

toothy Options
justina bandol
Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2018 1:59:40 AM

Neurons: 63,064
What could toothy possibly mean here?

She was talkative enough after she’d had enough Violet Marys. Suspicious at first when he pressed her too early for details about her job at United Elevator Co.—him being a notorious muckraker at the biggest trade journal there is, Lift magazine. He put on his 100-watt smile and waved his index finger at the waiter when the drinks ran dry. Keep ’em coming. He told her he didn’t mean to make her uncomfortable, he was just asking about her work, it sounded so interesting. She blushed and drained her Violet Mary. The sanctity of the journalist’s creed, the indefatigable war against industry corruption, throw in a toothy anecdote about his suffragette mother: these matters and more Ben Urich discoursed upon, to the effervescent delight of his companion, Miss Betty Williams.

Thank you.
mactoria
Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:30:13 AM

Neurons: 1,311,845
Justina: This isn't a very common way to use the word "toothy" in the American-English language as far as I'm aware. I double-checked various sites for definitions of 'toothy' and they all simply defined it as showing teeth, as in a big smile. Earlier in the paragraph it's mentioned he's using a "100 watt smile" and plying her with alcoholic beverages, so it seems he was trying to charm this woman in a number of ways. So my interpretation of "toothy" in the context of the sentence and paragraph is the man told an anecdote (ie a short, pithy story) about his "suffragrette mother" in a joking or joshing manner so as to appear charming, flirty, suave, etc.

Others may be able to give you a better or different interpretation of "toothy" as used in this paragraph.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2018 3:59:48 AM

Neurons: 179,177
I'm British, and have a different 'vocabulary' from mactoria, but I agree.
The only times I have ever heard the word 'toothy' is in the phrase "a toothy smile".

I read the phrase "a toothy anecdote" to mean "an amusing anecdote, delivered with a big smile".

Also, from his description as a muckraker and as a journalist trying to make her drunk, it comes across as meaning 'an anecdote delivered with a big, toothy, false "salesman's" smile'.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
justina bandol
Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2018 4:48:20 AM

Neurons: 63,064
Great, thank you both!

I wasn't sure it meant 'funny' or 'biting' or 'ambivalent' or a number of other things.
Romany
Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2018 10:43:49 AM

Neurons: 45,412
Because the word "toothy" isn't used in this way normally, my immediate interpretation was that it was a word derived from "toothsome".

Because he was conning the girl a little story about women's suffrage might be something she'd lap up; something she could sink her teeth into; something she'd really enjoy?
renee talley 1
Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2018 12:41:06 PM

Neurons: 2,729
Anxious Anxious Speak to the hand Brick wall a dog with almost all of his teeth were pulled vious that he was a very toothy dog which obvious very ebbarrassed.Dancing Dancing Whistle Whistle Applause Applause
renee talley 1
Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2018 12:47:49 PM

Neurons: 2,729
renee talley 1 wrote:
Anxious Anxious Speak to the hand Brick wall a dog with almost all of his teeth were pulled vious that he was a very toothy dog which obvious very ebbarrassed.Dancing Dancing Whistle Whistle Applause Applause
The young daughter became toothy very quickly because she lost most all of her teeth all at one time,