The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Woman 'brutally punched' for speaking Spanish in London Options
Bedells
Posted: Sunday, October 28, 2018 7:43:42 PM

Neurons: 578,319
Reading this shocking news, I can see that racism is unstoppable.

A lady speaking in Spanish on the subway in London, was recriminated and attacked just because she was supposed to speak English. What if the lady was a tourist, a student or a businesswoman? Even though she's a foreigner living there, does that give anyone the right of hitting her just because she was speaking her native tongue in a foreign country?? I don't think so...

I'm not sure if I'm using the right term: racism, bigotry, prejudice..... whatever it is called; it's running rampant and I can't believe that in the so-called first world countries, these things are still happening ... this is crazy!!! Not talking Not talking

towan52
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 10:08:45 AM

Neurons: 211,984
Sadly, you're probably right about such attitudes being unstoppable. The recent differences are that such behaviour and opinions are now considered (by generally less intelligent individuals) to be more socially acceptable - it's a kinda different sort of "trickle-down".

Voldermort for Trump 2020
Buzzito
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 10:44:31 AM

Neurons: 715,025
Bedells wrote:
Reading this shocking news, I can see that racism is unstoppable.

A lady speaking in Spanish on the subway in London, was recriminated and attacked just because she was supposed to speak English. What if the lady was a tourist, a student or a businesswoman? Even though she's a foreigner living there, does that give anyone the right of hitting her just because she was speaking her native tongue in a foreign country?? I don't think so...

I'm not sure if I'm using the right term: racism, bigotry, prejudice..... whatever it is called; it's running rampant and I can't believe that in the so-called first world countries, these things are still happening ... this is crazy!!! Not talking Not talking

Just don't blame Trump. So few people take responsibility for their own behavior and project it onto others. It is sad indeed and underscores a problem worldwide.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 11:36:09 AM

Neurons: 8,974
It's a terrible event to have happened driven by Brexit supporters and the atmosphere they have generated.

Just a small point for English Language Learners this attack did not happen on the Underground/Subway, it was a London Overgound train part of Transport for Londons network but a normal train.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Overground

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
progpen
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 3:31:39 PM

Neurons: 369,910
Buzzito is correct. Don't blame Trump. We are the ones who let that demented, morally retarded mongrel into our White House.

Pipe bombs, automatic weapons, and physical violence are only the beginning.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Hope123
Posted: Monday, October 29, 2018 6:20:50 PM

Neurons: 50,270
According to the pundits, the authoritarians and dictators with violent tendencies who are popping up are apparently the symptom of unrest. And it is worldwide.

Too many people competing for too few resources. The belief that "others" are in their country taking their resources away is often the ignition. Of course people different from the hater will the targeted ones. Different religions, cultures, sexual orientation, the poor, the disabled, or even just someone who stutters.

The UK has had an increase in hate crimes since Brexit.

Brazil just elected a leader without stellar references.

Rise of far Right hate groups in Canada the last three years has helped to increase the number of hate crimes. These people are crawling out from under the rocks. A white nationalist running for mayor of Toronto got 25,000 votes.

If the whole world including Obama's US had done something about the coup of a violent dictator in 2009 instead of first discontinuing and then giving Honduras aid, the Hondurans would not have been coming in caravans to the US for some time to get away from violence.

Whether you like it or not, Trump is a role model. He's not the only cause but he surely is not helping.

US statistics.

Of course people are responsible for their own actions. But there are those who are unstable who think their bad impulses are sanctioned by their president. One guy who assaulted a woman recently on an airplane said exactly that. "Trump said it was ok." When Trump,said "I am a Nationalist" the white supremacists heard he is one of them. Why would he say that knowing it could be taken two ways?

There's a video splicing together many of the times he has encouraged violence with his rhetoric at rallies. Many many times against his political opponents or anyone who disagrees with him, even veterans and the disabled. He is the head and he has set the climate.

And with communications these days, people all over the world note how he prefers dictators and violent leaders to allies of the US.

Glad to hear you say that, Proggy, and hope those opposed to what is happening rectify that in midterms and 2020. Some Dems are working very hard to get out the vote, alarmed at the purging of Democratic voters, the dirty trick of stopping a bus of black people from voting, poll clerks leaning over shoulders and commenting on choices, and one with a bullhorn shouting "babykillers" at the polling station. People who voted blue down the ticket find their vote changed from Beto to Cruz before they get done and authorities say they don't have the authority to fix it! I can't believe all the intimidation and outright fraud I read about going on in the US elections. IF it is true, it is disgusting and makes me sad. None of that garbage would ever be allowed here.

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
Hope123
Posted: Friday, November 2, 2018 5:54:41 PM

Neurons: 50,270
Yes, blame Trump and his present supporters for a lenient climate re violence - Proof positive on link below that his words and deeds do encourage bad behaviour by others. He is a role model as president. It's ok to assault women. It's ok to shoot unarmed refugees and thus protesters. And since Jews are helping refugees, maybe even the caravan 1000 miles away, they need to be killed while praying. Jews are thus helping to commit white "genocide".

I saw these three articles about how other violent regimes are watching with one quoting Trump as justification for the slaughter of protesters and how Cohen has revealed what we all knew, that Trump is a racist. Trump may have withdrawn his statement that troops will not fire on refugees, but it's too late. The damage is done.

The synagogue killer was influenced too.The Pittsburg Synagogue shooter's thoughts about Jews assisting refugees and the caravan:

https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=661633763

15,000 troops to stop a caravan of a few thousand mostly women and children weak from walking thousands of miles on foot. Please. It's just a sensational ploy to stir up his base about immigration before the midterms. But he never thinks of the consequences of his words. Obama handled caravans quietly, processed them, and sent them back.

This man, who will do anything to win including encouraging others to kill, is a definite danger to the world. And there is no way any present supporter can still say he is not a racist after Cohen's confirmation. He knows the man.,

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/foreign-army-cites-trump-justify-reported-massacre-protesters/

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/michel-cohen-reveals-trump-said-black-people-are-to-stupid-to-vote-for-him/

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons." Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)