The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

don't give in Options
mcurrent
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 11:05:32 AM

Neurons: 7,273
Hi. The lyric of Poison Arrows by Mike Oldfield is

Silence in the air. Is anybody there? Searching every sound. Walking on quiet ground
Somebody's out to get you! Hiding in shadows - poison arrows. Somebody's out to break you! Hiding in narrows - Poison arrows
When you gonna break? Watching every move you make And everything you do, Evil eyes'll be on you.
Somebody's out to get you! Hiding in shadows - poison arrows. Somebody's out to break you! Hiding in narrows - Poison arrows
Don't give in, don't come any closer, No sir! Keep running, coming in closer, Closer.
Don't give in, don't come any closer, No sir! Keep running, coming in closer, Closer.
What you gonna do? Time is running out on you. Anywhere you choose, Anyway, you're gonna lose.

As I can understand the text of this song is connecting with some "hunting-hiding" things - someone is searching and someone is hiding.
In the TFD "give in" means "To cease opposition; yield" ("to cease to dampen on someone" in my words). It would be clear for me if the text:

/Give in, don't come any closer, No sir! Keep running, coming in closer, Closer. - i.e. Don't dampen on me, don't come any closer, No sir! Keep running, coming in closer, Closer./

But there is "don't give in" - i.e. "don't cease to dampen on me". Can you exlain me what thought is expressed in this song by "don't give in"?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 12:07:57 PM

Neurons: 6,942
"Don't give in" does not mean to "don't dampen on".

It means do not cease to do something something or to put it another way continue to do what you are doing.
In the case of this song the person is in metaphorical danger from those that would do them harm. In order to avoid the harm that others would do to them they should remain alert to danger at all time. I say metaphorical danger the song is about the press trying to find scandals that could bring problems to a rock stars career.

I don't quite understand how dampen comes into the definition at all.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
ozok
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 1:50:07 PM

Neurons: 758

Quite a common mistake by non-native English speakers that I hear almost daily:

Can you explain to me what thought is expressed...

just sayin'
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 2:11:35 PM

ozok wrote:

Quite a common mistake by non-native English speakers that I hear almost daily:

Can you explain to me what thought is expressed...

Somehow I did not notice that one Ozok.

Romany
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 6:35:27 PM

Neurons: 45,412
Am also puzzled by the 'dampen' thing? How would you 'dampen' someone...with a spray bottle? Why would you 'dampen' someone? I don't think I've ever come across the word 'dampen' ever used as something one person can do to another!
thar
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2018 7:37:41 PM

Neurons: 73,002
I think the confusion over dampen is from the meaning of damping as resisting motion and reducing vibration. That is what a damper does - it resists movement, or dampens it.

I may be wrong, but that is the only way I can connect 'dampen' with standing strong, not giving in.

So to resist, or defend, is the opposite of giving in.

mcurrent - you have the incorrect or usage of dampen, here.

Firstly, it usually means to make something damp, slightly wet. You dampen a cloth when you want to clean something. Or as Rom say, spray them with water. If you feel that way inclined!Whistle

In a specific field of springs, pistons and vibrating strings, then to dampen means to lessen movement or resist force. But you can't use the word more generally in other contexts. It only applies to those specific pieces of engineering equipment and metaphors where you are doing something that reduces movement or vibration.

Quote:
Damping is a reduction in vibration over a period of time. Damping will eventually bring a vibrating object to rest.

Ignore this if I am wrong. If that s the case, I have no more idea of how 'dampen' comes into this than you folks do!
mcurrent
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 2:58:41 AM

Neurons: 7,273
People, I'd like to know meaning of "don't give in". If Sarrriesfan is right and that meaning is "put it another way continue to do what you are doing" then the text in the song

Don't give in, don't come any closer

means simply
Go on, don't come any closer.

I can understand that lyric sometimes makes mess, if it was not mess can you write in the reply the meaning of this "don't give in"?
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 4:02:44 AM

Thar that's a good explaination thanks it clears up my confusion.

Rom why would anyone want to dampen someone else, well some people with special intrests can have it done in Russia allegedly.Whistle

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 4:09:52 AM

mcurrent wrote:
People, I'd like to know meaning of "don't give in". If Sarrriesfan is right and that meaning is "put it another way continue to do what you are doing" then the text in the song

Don't give in, don't come any closer

means simply
Go on, don't come any closer.

I can understand that lyric sometimes makes mess, if it was not mess can you write in the reply the meaning of this "don't give in"?

In this context "Don't give in" does not just mean go on, in means go on with what you were doing previously in the lyrics, searching for those that were trying to fire poison arrows into them.

The lyrics of the song are not completely grammatical, we have to interpret the meaning of the songwriter.