The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Repulseicans plan to kill medicare, social security and medicaid Options
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 12:52:18 AM

Neurons: 1,019,336
Republicans plan to kill medicare, social security and medicaid supposedly in order to pay for their massive tax cuts to the rich and their corporations and mounting national debt. But this was their plan all along. Anyone who wasn't too hungover or who didn't drink the Kool-Aid could see it coming. But it really won't work. It's just a way of deepening the societal divisions in our country. The rich will be richer. The poor will be poorer. The national debt will continue to mushroom out of control. These people also have the audacity to call themselves "conservatives." There's nothing conservative about them. The name is nothing short of Orwellian. The only thing they wish to conserve is their own power.

Republicans want to take away your Medicare, Social Security, and Medicaid
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/10/21/1805129/-Republicans-want-to-take-away-your-Medicare-Social-Security-and-Medicaid

Quote:
"...the deficit, which grew 17 percent to $779 billion in fiscal year 2018."

"The deficit has increased 77 percent since McConnell became majority leader in 2015."

"New Treasury Department analysis on Monday revealed that corporate tax cuts had a significant impact on the deficit this year. Federal revenue rose by 0.04 percent in 2018, a nearly 100 percent decrease on last year’s 1.5 percent. In fiscal year 2018, tax receipts on corporate income fell to $205 billion from $297 billion in 2017."

""I think it’s pretty safe to say that entitlement changes, which is the real driver of the debt by any objective standard, may well be difficult if not impossible to achieve when you have unified government," McConnell said."

No Mitch buddy. We're not drinking that Kool-Aid. Your double talk makes you sound like you've been sniffing too much glue! The real driver of national debt is your party's tax cut orgy to the rich!
Chazlee
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 1:41:08 AM

Neurons: 4,214
[quote=Oscar D. Grouch]Republicans plan to kill medicare, social security and medicaid supposedly in order to pay for their massive tax cuts to the rich and their corporations and mounting national debt. But this was their plan all along. Anyone who wasn't too hungover or who didn't drink the Kool-Aid could see it coming. But it really won't work. It's just a way of deepening the societal divisions in our country. The rich will be richer. The poor will be poorer. The national debt will continue to mushroom out of control. These people also have the audacity to call themselves "conservatives." There's nothing conservative about them. The name is nothing short of Orwellian. The only thing they wish to conserve is their own power.

The most unfortunate thing is that many of the Americans who benefit the most from these programs are poor Republicans and they will cast a vote to support the very people who are attempting to hurt them. There are far too many videos available showing red-hat wearing Trump loving Americans who rail against government intrusion into their lives, and claim that Democrats spend too much money on social programs, while at the same time they admit they are often the recipients of some sort of government aid. One of the most famous of these people is the actor Graig T. Nelson, who told Glenn Beck in an interview that when he was a struggling actor nobody helped him out. Then he also said he had gotten food stamps and welfare at that time. Everyone should watch the 9 second clip below to get a first-hand look at the mentally of some people who have no idea what will happen to them if the Republican leaders get their way.

"I've been on welfare and food stamps. Anybody help me out? No."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTwpBLzxe4U

“I regret that the press treats me so badly.” Donald Trump.
Donthailand
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 10:07:14 AM

Neurons: 734,775
You won't get an argument from me!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 12:16:11 PM

Neurons: 194,036
Not arguing with your message - but why the silly 'name-calling' in the thread title?

It just subtracts from the seriousness with which your argument can be taken.

"It's simply ridicule - your argument is obviously not to be taken seriously."

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
pasteur
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 3:02:38 PM

Neurons: 133,522
Very good point, DragonSpeaker!
Hope123
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 4:28:32 PM

Neurons: 49,353
Agree, Drago. That goes for all the name changing by both parties all over the media and internet that people think is brilliant but just takes away from the seriousness of the message. When did all that start to happen?

"Do the people you care about love you back?" Warren Buffett's measure of success
Romany
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 6:11:22 AM

Neurons: 48,295
Hope -

"When did all that start to happen?"

It started when a man who called women 'dogs', and who called the people who worked for him "Lyin'" Whatsit" or "Low IQ" Thingummy, was chosen to represent the USA. And a certain sector of the population dived into schoolyard rhetoric gleefully given his lead. And the media, rather than than standing up against it, made sure this childish bullshit was constantly re-enforced by keeping these silly comments constantly before people's eyes.

Chazlee
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 10:59:59 AM

Not that Oscar D. Grouch needs me to defend the title but it seems like some people here are focusing on the word used rather than getting into a discussion about the content of the post. Why is that happening? When I first read the post, perhaps I was not reading closely but I just thought it was spelling error. Then, after reading people's responses to it, I still don't think it was important at all. (Perhaps that is because I am a person who has been guilty of using labels against people I do not like, such as Trump, which I am trying to change).

Honestly, some of you seem to be making a giant mountain out of a molehill, and perhaps the word does not even rise to the level of a molehill. It is admirable that people in the political forum here are trying to raise the level of discourse, but it seems like Oscar D. Grouch should not be made to feel like it was a horrible thing to use that word. As we all know, emotions can become heated when the discussion involves politics, and I felt Oscar was quite upset when the post was written. Yet, I enjoy reading posts in which people take a position and express how they truly feel, even when they may use words, at times, which are offensive to others. (I am not saying this just because I have used language, in the past, which upset others. In other words, I own up to my past comments, and I know I was clearly wrong at times to write things which were less than kind toward others on this site. Having said all that, I will never apologize for any unkind things I have said about Trump, since what I said was true).

This is a political forum. While repeated inappropriate and personal attacks upon members in this forum should not be excused, it should also not be turned into a place where people are afraid to say what is on their mind. Doing so would inhibit individuals from sharing their thoughts with others, and that would make this section of this site boring.

Finally, Romany you have a limited grasp of history if you really believe that negative or nasty comments coming from and spoken about political groups and leaders began with Trump's time in office. This has been going for a very long time, and will continue long after all of us are no longer on this planet. If anything is to blame, then it is the internet which gave everyone the chance to publicly say what in the past they would have only been able to say to people in the close proximity.

Let's give Oscar D. Grouch a break. After all, some people would agree that the word he used to describe Republicans describes them perfectly.

Peace.

Romany
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 11:43:34 AM

Chazlee -

Coming on the heels of your post about negative comments, must admit it gave me a bit of a jolt to be judged as having a "...limited grasp of history...".

However, as you will see, I'm not American. The only thing I knew about American politics pre-2016 was that there were two parties who took turn and turn about. If prompted I might perhaps have been able to recall they were called the Democrats & the Republicans.I certainly wouldn't have known which presidents represented which. (Still don't any further back that Bush.)

So no, living outside the USA, I've never heard any of your politicians or Presidents use the language, the childish taunts, the anti-social epithets, or the threats to stomp all over an opponants face with football studs(!!!), that are amongst the things that go zinging round the world in a constant stream now. I can't believe that the things people in the White House said were ever as blatantly truth-free, vindictive, and dangerous as they are now - America could simply not have held its place in the world had they been so.

Obviously there's been drama and reprehensible episodes and bad behaviour. In every government in the world. But had the current morally bankrupt & pathetically juvenile rhetoric been going on to this degree for a "very long time" the world would be a very different place!

FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 12:03:36 PM

Neurons: 54,758
I didn't bother to read any of this silliness. I was just struck by the name give to Republicans. It seems we now have another two parties in our system:
Repulseicans and Democrazies. LOL.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Chazlee
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 12:44:35 PM

Romany wrote:
Chazlee -

Coming on the heels of your post about negative comments, must admit it gave me a bit of a jolt to be judged as having a "...limited grasp of history...".

However, as you will see, I'm not American. The only thing I knew about American politics pre-2016 was that there were two parties who took turn and turn about. If prompted I might perhaps have been able to recall they were called the Democrats & the Republicans.I certainly wouldn't have known which presidents represented which. (Still don't any further back that Bush.)

So no, living outside the USA, I've never heard any of your politicians or Presidents use the language, the childish taunts, the anti-social epithets, or the threats to stomp all over an opponants face with football studs(!!!), that are amongst the things that go zinging round the world in a constant stream now. I can't believe that the things people in the White House said were ever as blatantly truth-free, vindictive, and dangerous as they are now - America could simply not have held its place in the world had they been so.

Obviously there's been drama and reprehensible episodes and bad behaviour. In every government in the world. But had the current morally bankrupt & pathetically juvenile rhetoric been going on to this degree for a "very long time" the world would be a very different place!

Romany,
I was not trying to insult you, and to keep things civil, I apologize if that happened. I did think you were an American, and your comment that the name calling so prevalent in today's society was "started when a man who called women 'dogs', and who called the people who worked for him "Lyin'" Whatsit" or "Low IQ" Thingummy, was chosen to represent the USA," was clearly referring to Trump. Thus, my comment to you was based on what you had written, and my mistaken believe about where you were born.

While it is obvious that Trump uses language in a way that others may not have been done so blatantly in the past, (his comments about women, etc), still it has been documented that other American politicians have also said equally horrible things, racist, sexist, and at times vulgar, about people and groups in the USA. The fact that when Trump says such things he uses more crude language, and others often “tidy” up their comments which make them seem not as bad, really makes no difference if the message is the same. So, when someone gets upset at Trump’s vulgar words, while not feeling the same way about others who clearly share his point of view but say things in a different or “nicer” way, it reveals the person to be a hypocrite. (I am not saying this about you).

Your obvious anger at Oscar D. Grouch’s one word attack upon the word “Republicans” seems extreme. It seemed to me that by clearly referencing what Trump has said when you were commenting about a post from Oscar you were trying to show how Trump has had an influence upon how many people are now expressing themselves. I do not believe this to be the case, and that is why I wrote my response to you that people have been making comments like Oscar did for far longer than Trump has been in office. Again, the only difference,IMO, is that we now have the internet which ensures that more people can read and hear publicly and quickly what people have been saying among themselves for a long, long time.

Peace.

Chazlee
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 12:53:42 PM

FounDit wrote:
I didn't bother to read any of this silliness. I was just struck by the name give to Republicans. It seems we now have another two parties in our system:

At times, both names seem to fit members of both parties.

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 1:36:13 PM

Neurons: 194,036
Hi Chazlee.

It was I who first brought up this "silly name-calling".

You are right - it didn't start with Trump.
Calling ALL Democrats "snowflake" or "Lefties" is the same - and that started before Trump even thought of politics.
Calling ALL Republicans "old white males" or Nazis or Repulsitrons is the same and has been going on for years.

It is simply my view of American politics.

It seems impossible to get most Americans to simply state the issues they support and state the reasons they support them.
It suddenly changes to a post like "All you snivelling snowflakes will realise when Trump is re-elected" (it doesn't say WHAT anyone will realise . . .) or a simple "TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP 2020!!!!"

That is not a discussion - it's the reaction of a two-year-old.

No matter what the post is, it starts with a childish comment like that "Repulsetrons plan to kill all Americans" or whatever.
Then continues by saying NOTHING of what should be done, how health Care and Social Security SHOULD be organised equitably - but only "Nya, nya, nya Republicans are evil".

In that case - it is not going to be treated seriously.
The whole post is a childish attack - not a discussion.

At least FounDit labelled his comment as humour (and made fun of his own 'side' as well as the other).

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 4:51:23 PM

Neurons: 49,353
Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
Republicans plan to kill medicare, social security and medicaid supposedly in order to pay for their massive tax cuts to the rich and their corporations and mounting national debt. But this was their plan all along. Anyone who wasn't too hungover or who didn't drink the Kool-Aid could see it coming. But it really won't work. It's just a way of deepening the societal divisions in our country. The rich will be richer. The poor will be poorer. The national debt will continue to mushroom out of control. These people also have the audacity to call themselves "conservatives." There's nothing conservative about them. The name is nothing short of Orwellian. The only thing they wish to conserve is their own power.

Republicans want to take away your Medicare, Social Security, and Medicaid
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/10/21/1805129/-Republicans-want-to-take-away-your-Medicare-Social-Security-and-Medicaid

Quote:
"...the deficit, which grew 17 percent to $779 billion in fiscal year 2018."

"The deficit has increased 77 percent since McConnell became majority leader in 2015."

"New Treasury Department analysis on Monday revealed that corporate tax cuts had a significant impact on the deficit this year. Federal revenue rose by 0.04 percent in 2018, a nearly 100 percent decrease on last year’s 1.5 percent. In fiscal year 2018, tax receipts on corporate income fell to $205 billion from $297 billion in 2017."

""I think it’s pretty safe to say that entitlement changes, which is the real driver of the debt by any objective standard, may well be difficult if not impossible to achieve when you have unified government," McConnell said."

No Mitch buddy. We're not drinking that Kool-Aid. Your double talk makes you sound like you've been sniffing too much glue! The real driver of national debt is your party's tax cut orgy to the rich!

Actually, Oscar has been pretty good of late! Sorry to help hijack your thread, Oscar, but as Drago said, the name-calling distracted us from the message.

Which is serious. Republicans have said for years they'd take away "entitlements" if given the chance. Why is Social Security an entitlement? Don't Americans pay into it for years? Not only is Medicaid and Medicare on the chopping block to pay for the tax cuts to corporations and the wealthy which did not trickle down, so is the preexisting clause of Obamacare in the "cut" crosshairs. It's why the Dems are calling for a blue wave.

Mitch McConnell!Brick wall

If the deficit is that much, increased so greatly since McConnell became leader, what on earth is the debt? And what is owed to China? Does that not scare Americans? Republicans are supposed to be fiscally responsible, wanting less government. That's been proven wrong.

What say Republicans to Oscar's post (minus one word in the title)? And to the article with statistics on the link. Are they with McConnell?

"Do the people you care about love you back?" Warren Buffett's measure of success
Y111
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 2:58:15 PM

Neurons: 1,564
Hope123 wrote:
what on earth is the debt? And what is owed to China? Does that not scare Americans?

Does anyone still believe the debt will be paid?
Andrew Schultz
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 4:54:54 PM

Neurons: 4,422,423
Y111 wrote:
Does anyone still believe the debt will be paid?

Not with Republicans in charge. The US is rich enough to pay it eventually, but we do need a much better fiscal policy. Clinton reversed the Bush/Reagan deficits, and Obama managed to reduce them despite a Republican congress for 6 of his 8 years.

As for name-calling:

People who can win without it don't need it. People who can't just make themselves look worse.

This is not both-siderism.

I've found people on the left who engage aggressively in name-calling (okay, we all do it a bit, and this is a pretty emotional topic) to be as little worth spending time and energy on as people from the right. I feel the right is not as good as the left for society, but that's a separate issue. But I've had people on the left do a lot of name-calling just to get attention, and unfortunately, when they do so, they find the only way to keep getting attention is to start on name-calling at people who mostly agree with them. I've walked away or become a lurker in a few communities like that.

100th person on TFD to 1 million neurons.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, October 24, 2018 5:41:08 PM

Chazlee -

Oh, I wasn't particularly wounded by what you said, girl, because I thought you must have become a little mixed up from the get go. So I really did think it was a kind of rather funny irony, as I said.

And in fact, I'm pretty sure you're still getting me mixed up a bit: - I addressed my post to Hope because it wasn't in reference to anything Oscar had written, but directly to what she had posted. I certainly wasn't angry about name-calling - it seems to be par for the course? In fact I hadn't even noticed it until someone referred to it!

Anyway, no worries. Life's like that sometimes. And no offence taken about anything.
cheers.
Epiphileon
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 3:38:09 AM

Neurons: 129,287
FounDit wrote:
I didn't bother to read any of this silliness. I was just struck by the name given to Republicans. It seems we now have another two parties in our system:

This is actually and sadly true, and as the number of these has risen, the number of people who are truly American patriots with a party affiliation has declined.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?
Romany
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2018 5:56:30 AM

Hope -

America's national debt is now around 23 trillion (various figures wobble a little between 22 and 23).

The debt to China is usually quoted at about 1.7trillion - however when I was living in China (and that was 5 years ago now) it was quoted as being higher. And every Chinese person I talked to was very, very aware of it. The magnitude of this debt was felt to give China a "secret weapon" against America. Speculation about calling in the debt - whether probable or not - reassurred them that they had a hold over the USA. (Please: I'm not commenting about the veracity of these claims. Merely passing on what was a national meme.)

I know you like to find your own sources - but here's a couple of sites which are not jargonistic or needing an economics degree to understand!

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/national-debt-dilemma overview
https://bit.ly/2yB3e53 America's debt is the largest sovereign debt in the world for a single country.
https://cnb.cx/2LoIYMt Some charts
https://on.cfr.org/2J6z2Gc An opinion piece.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2018 9:50:30 AM

Neurons: 1,019,336
tRump et al. are conducting a war against democracy. This is not a time for political correctness niceties. Hard working Americans have been paying into programs such as Social Security and Medicare their entire working lives. Now these very people stand to lose everything they've paid into to subsidize tax cuts for rich corporations. I am astonished that the humorous name 'repulseicans' would draw such a strong reaction. Perhaps these people don't realize what's at stake. I have elderly parents and facilitate the handling and payment of their bills. I know very well what's at stake. Medicare has been good to our family. To have this stripped away to fund tax cuts for corporations that don't really need them would be criminal. People who vote in support of tRump et al. are voting against their own self interest. Wake the hell up! There are worse names we could call tRump that would also be accurate. tRump is simply a lying sack of $h:t.

Now the wannabe king thinks he can obliterate the 14th Amendment of the Constitution with the stroke of his pen. Let him try. We will hold it against him as further evidence of his incompetency!