sureshot
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2018 1:43:14 AM

Neurons: 379,073
Tara2 wrote:
Hi
What does "dealing" mean?
Justice=Just conduct; fair dealing.

--------------------

The noun "dealing(s)" refers to a particular way of doing business(= an activity). The speaker wants the reader/listener to indulge in honest practices.

Tara2
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2018 6:28:29 AM

Neurons: 2,177
sureshot wrote:
Tara2 wrote:
Hi
What does "dealing" mean?
Justice=Just conduct; fair dealing.

--------------------

The noun "dealing(s)" refers to a particular way of doing business(= an activity). The speaker wants the reader/listener to indulge in honest practices.

Thank you
Is it different with "dealing with"?
sureshot
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:57:54 AM

Tara2 wrote:

The use of "dealing" and "dealing with" can be different."Dealing" can be used either as a continuous form of the verb or as a noun. You usually say "dealing with somebody/something". Some example sentences are:

Some example sentences using "dealing with" in the continuous form are:

- I don't know how he is dealing with the problem being faced by his company. (= coping with)
- The company is against dealing with the middlemen. (= doing business with)
- The firm is now dealing with the farmers and selling them cattle feeds and insecticides at subsidised rates. (= is now selling them)

Some example sentences using "dealing(s) with" as a noun are:

- The probe appears to focus on his dealings with drug peddlers living in the city.(= business relations with)
- The businessman is very compassionate in his dealings with his employees.(= personal association)
- The company has not got a procedure now for dealing with anonymous complaints.(= handling)
- Henry's dealing with the core issues was praised by the management. (= handling)
- The best way of dealing with such complaints is to speak with the complainant directly.(= handling)
- The government formulated a new strategy for dealing with the rebels in the northern part of the country. (= handling)

I hope this helps.

BobShilling
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2018 11:36:01 AM

Neurons: 3,706
sureshot wrote:

- The probe appears to focus on his dealings with drug peddlers living in the city.(= business relations with)
- The businessman is very compassionate in his dealings with his employees.(= personal association)
- The company has not got a procedure now for dealing with anonymous complaints.(= handling)
- Henry's dealing with the core issues was praised by the management. (= handling)
- The best way of dealing with such complaints is to speak with the complainant directly.(= handling)
- The government formulated a new strategy for dealing with the rebels in the northern part of the country. (= handling)

The ones I've coloured red look rather like gerund-participles to me than nouns.
Tara2
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2018 12:43:44 PM

sureshot wrote:
Tara2 wrote:

The use of "dealing" and "dealing with" can be different."Dealing" can be used either as a continuous form of the verb or as a noun. You usually say "dealing with somebody/something". Some example sentences are:

Some example sentences using "dealing with" in the continuous form are:

- I don't know how he is dealing with the problem being faced by his company. (= coping with)
- The company is against dealing with the middlemen. (= doing business with)
- The firm is now dealing with the farmers and selling them cattle feeds and insecticides at subsidised rates. (= is now selling them)

I hope this helps.

It was helpful. Thank you again :)
Tara2
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2018 12:44:11 PM

BobShilling wrote:
sureshot wrote:

The ones I've coloured red look rather like gerund-participles to me than nouns.

Thank you
sureshot
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2018 1:44:02 AM

BobShilling wrote:

Yes, the ones coloured red are gerunds. A gerund is a verb form which functions as a noun. So, in the given sentences, they are functioning as nouns.
BobShilling
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2018 5:15:49 AM

Neurons: 3,706
hey are functioning as preposition objects.
sureshot
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2018 6:49:27 AM

BobShilling wrote:
hey are functioning as preposition objects.

Different grammarians use different phrases to convey the function. So, I don't wish to open this window.

The post talks of using "dealing with". The sentence examples use these words. For me, so long as the poster has understood the uses, I think I have achieved my objective.