The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Inhabit with Options
D00M
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 11:25:35 AM

Neurons: 7,645
Hello respected teachers,

Does "inhabit with" mean "live with" in the following?

Five enemies of peace inhabit with us - avarice, ambition, envy, anger, and pride; if these were to be banished, we should infallibly enjoy perpetual peace. Petrarch
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/petrarch_159708

The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
NKM
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 11:49:12 AM

Neurons: 282,382
Clearly that is what it means, though the use of "inhabit" without a direct object feels downright wrong to me.

D00M
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 12:27:00 PM

Neurons: 7,645
NKM wrote:
Clearly that is what it means, though the use of "inhabit" without a direct object feels downright wrong to me.

Thank you.
How would you fix it, NKM?

The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 1:37:13 PM

Neurons: 51,812
D00M wrote:
NKM wrote:

Thank you.
How would you fix it, NKM?

It's the word "with" that seems out of place to me. It would sound okay to me to say they inhabit us, but to say inhabit with us seems wrong, even though it isn't. That's probably because we never put those two words together in normal speech. I would prefer "dwell" or "live" with us.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
thar
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 4:04:53 PM

Neurons: 73,829
I agree. It sounds wrong to me.

Either they inhabit our lives, or they live with us.

Whistle But when Petrarch wrote this he was still learning English and entitled to make mistakes. Whistle

Seriously, D00M, you need to be careful of the sources you look at. A website called brainyquotes.com is not going to be a fount of elegant English.

If something does not credit a translator, do not trust it. Some of these quotes are elegantly translated (although who decided that anything profound has to be written in Middle English?) but some are complete crap.
This one falls into that category, in my opinion.
Romany
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 7:00:27 PM

Neurons: 46,045

Doom,

Do keep in mind that first: someone had to translate it from Medieval Italian to Modern Italian. Then someone had to translate the Modern Italian to Modern English.

Over the 700-odd years since Petrach wrote these words a lot of changes have taken place in language.Thw words have been translated umpteen times. Even if we could get hold of the original text, which may even have journeyed by way of Latin, it's doubtful we shall ever get to know if this particular translation corresponds with what he actually wrote.

So we can only, really, note the usage. We don't know if it's 'correct' or not - but we can keep a look-out when reading other texts of the period. If the usage appears often we can trace the translaters and see if it was a construct common in the work of any of them...well you get the idea. It would be a full-time job to find out how he himself had originally said it.

But we can't "correct" it:- because we have no idea which words Petrach actually used.