The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

bear fruit Options
maltliquor87
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:07:02 PM

Neurons: 59,463
Hello, dear forum members.

Is it correct to say that the sentence "he/she will bear fruit" does not mean that the person will be rewarded for their effort? In other words, the sentence
"he/she will bear fruit" does not convey the idea of the sentence "his/her effort (or plans, actions, etc) will bear fruit". The original sentence sounds to me as if the person will be used for someone's gain instead of being rewarded.

Could you comment on that, please?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:27:14 PM

Neurons: 181,785
Hi!

Normally, I would say that as a single sentence "He/she will bear fruit" sounds like he/she is a tree.
It is not something you would hear.

However, as you point out, there is one situation in which it is meaningful.

If you have someone who is investing in people, rather than projects or businesses, then you could say "He/she will bear fruit" and mean "If I invest in him/her, I will make a profit."

The person (he/she) may also gain from the investment, or may not. There is nothing in the sentence which says either way.

It's a rather impersonal way of speaking about someone, but it's not depersonalising (not so bad as "That human resource will bear fruit", which reduces the person to a thing.)

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
maltliquor87
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:28:25 PM

Thanks, Drago!
maltliquor87
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:33:51 PM

So if a person works hard to achieve their goals, we could say "your effort will bear fruit" in order to encourage him or her. But the phrase "you'll bear fruit" would sound odd.
thar
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:42:14 PM

Neurons: 73,829
It is quite like the source of a metaphor. If you plant an apple tree, and nurture it, it will bear fruit.
You have a good result from your investment/effort, if you are prepared to wait for a period of time, rather than demanding instant results.

The apple tree is not rewarded - it just produces the fruit. It has no opinion on the matter, and has not itself put in any effort. It has born fruit because it was a good tree stock that you chose. So people do not bear fruit, because people are not like trees!
maltliquor87
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:45:19 PM

Thanks, Thar!
Everything is crystal-clear. I assume that one would be hard-pressed to hear the phrase "he/she will bear fruit" used by native speakers in any context. I'll steer clear of it. Not that I ever wanted to use it. I just heard a Russian guy say it when he almost certainly meant to say "their effort will bear fruit", meaning "their result will be satisfying for them".

thar
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 3:25:06 PM

Neurons: 73,829
Yes, although Drago says it is technically possible, I don't think anyone would choose to say that a person will bear fruit.
It is really about a concept that can be likened to a tree you plant.

It is your efforts that will bear fruit.
You put in the effort now, and in the longer term, you will reap the reward.

(even the term to put in the effort is almost like planting something)

(more agricultural analogies with 'reap' - that is just what came to mind!)