The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

An Open Letter to the Admin Options
BobShilling
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 11:32:11 AM

Neurons: 3,706
Absinthius wrote:
I'm kinda falling for Lotje a little more everytime I see one of those dissecting posts! Very enjoyable to read!

I am not sure that 'falling for' is particularly appropriate these days, but I agree that Lotje is superb at nosing out and destroying BS - and they manage to remain cool, calm and collected in doing so.

"How different, how very different, from the home life of some of our own dear members" (including me).
A cooperator
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 6:07:03 PM

Neurons: 11,004
Hi Everyone!
First of all, I don't think that anything on this short life deserves to make someone insult others. Everything can be fixed as long as we are still alive. Whoever doesn't admit their faults will still always be wrong. I don't know why some people thrive on saying hurtful words to others. There is a saying going "say good or to be silent".

Secondly, I am supporting Helenej's escalated words.
Some offenders even don't care if they are going to be banned or not. That is, they could repeat this aggressive behavior with any member. It seems as though they were here to let the reputation of forum be stooping over time.

But, I'd like to remind you of words were told to me previously, and I made them as a ring in my ears. "Try to take attacks easier and not to show offender that they got you. People like offenders thrive on seeing that their bullying has worked.By replying with decent words, you can put offender in his place more effectively."

Sometimes I was attacked directly, other times, indirectly. Although I was not the first one who throw the stone at the offender, I have been banned. I still don't know why, but I think since I replied to the aggressor in the same offensive behaviour.
Yes, it is true that for each action there is a reaction. So, we can not blame if an offended person replied in same rude words. But they would both end up to be offenders in the end, and the judges are the moderators.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
BobShilling
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 5:26:38 AM

A cooperator wrote:
So, we can not blame if an offended person replied in same rude words.

The question of who offended first and who is to blame is often very subjective, and it is irrelevant here. This forum is not the place for name-calling or snark.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2018 10:45:27 AM

Neurons: 519,707
Is there a way to "block" commenters on this site? I have 2 in mind that I would like to never see on the radar, again.
Helenej
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 4:43:33 PM

Neurons: 10,538
Hey, everyone! I’m terribly sorry I didn’t immediately reply to each of you who posted in this thread and waited for me to respond. Now that I am back, I’m going to satisfy you all. (By the way, the three days in the Carpathians were fabulous. Sunny and up to 24 C! The autumn is gorgeous this year.)

Lotje1000 wrote:
Ad hominem, throwing shade on someone's "manliness".

I am not “throwing shade”, Lotje. I am quite straighforwardly pointing out the absence of this quality in BobShilling, using sarcasm. Why don’t you report to the admins that I don’t consider Bob manly?

You can also report other “ad hominems” to them. However, I think the list of my crimes is too short. Why don’t you sweep all my posts beginning from 2013 in order to find more evidence and sound more convincing? What if you are lucky and catch me say to anyone words like those that D00M uses here:

“pesky kid”
“idiot”
“poor creature”
“pest”
“crazed psycho”
“annoying fly”
“You are disgusting”
“I'm not a psychiatrist!
“You leave bullshit on my threads”

Helenej
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 4:47:19 PM

BobShilling wrote:
This thread is getting horribly sidetracked from the the original post and the first two responses. How about leaving it there and waiting for admins to respond in some way?

Good idea, Bob. I wish you had also noticed earlier that this thread is called “An open letter to admins”, not “An open letter to BobShilling”.
Helenej
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2018 4:57:02 PM

D00M wrote:
Make a picture of them and put them on the wall of your room not to forget who you are.

I’d rather put them up here so that people don’t forget who you are and what a foul mouth people from your nation got:

“pesky kid”
“idiot”
“poor creature”
“pest”
“crazed psycho”
“annoying fly”
“You are disgusting”
“I'm not a psychiatrist!
“You leave bullshit on my threads”

I wonder if your mum, whom you repeatedly bragged about on the forum, taught you these words by addressing you this way or just by drilling them into your head?

D00M wrote:
Haven't you found any answer to the paragraphs in green yet?

Haven’t you found any of my numerous insults of your mum yet?

D00M wrote:
A special thanks to Lotje; took the words right out of my mouth.

Lotje did you a big favor, D00M. Now that there are fewer words in your mouth, there is more space for your tongue to wiggle while licking out.

D00M wrote:
BobShilling wrote:
This thread is getting horribly sidetracked from the the original post and the first two responses. How about leaving it there ... ?

I will do as advised, Bob.

Something tells me that D00M won’t be able to keep his promise and leave this tread. Let’s watch.

Lotje1000
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 11:14:24 AM

Neurons: 493,825
Helenej wrote:
I am not “throwing shade”, Lotje. I am quite straighforwardly pointing out the absence of this quality in BobShilling, using sarcasm. Why don’t you report to the admins that I don’t consider Bob manly?

More ad hominem - at least it's made clear it's intentional now.

Helenej wrote:
You can also report other “ad hominems” to them. However, I think the list of my crimes is too short. Why don’t you sweep all my posts beginning from 2013 in order to find more evidence and sound more convincing? What if you are lucky and catch me say to anyone words like those that D00M uses here:

I can only repeat what I said before: "If you want to debate issues, you should debate issues, not the person behind it. Especially not if you're then going to call them out for using inappropriate language, while using inappropriate language yourself."

Helenej wrote:
Good idea, Bob. I wish you had also noticed earlier that this thread is called “An open letter to admins”, not “An open letter to BobShilling”.

Misunderstanding of the point of an "open letter" (intended for a specific audience but a wide readership) and the concept of a forum.

Helenej wrote:
I’d rather put them up here so that people don’t forget who you are and what a foul mouth people from your nation got: [...] I wonder if your mum, whom you repeatedly bragged about on the forum, taught you these words by addressing you this way or just by drilling them into your head?

More ad hominem, now also insulting a whole nation.

Helenej wrote:
Now that there are fewer words in your mouth, there is more space for your tongue to wiggle while licking out.

Confusion. As I have no idea what tongues and licking have to do with this discussion.
BobShilling
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 11:29:37 AM

Lotje1000 wrote:
I can only repeat what I said before: "If you want to debate issues, you should debate issues, not the person behind it. Especially not if you're then going to call them out for using inappropriate language, while using inappropriate language yourself."

It's pointless, Lotje. As the admins/mods are doing nothing about the thread, I am just going to leave it to the two main players. Let's just hope this does not spread to other threads and cause the whole English Grammar forum to be poisoned - as happened in the past in the Politics forum more than once.
Helenej
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 5:48:21 PM

Lotje1000 wrote:
More ad hominem - at least it's made clear it's intentional now.

Lotje, if I say things, I always say them intentionally. Why should you doubt that? Is it different with you and you have trouble controlling what you are saying?

Lotje1000 wrote:
I can only repeat what I said before: "If you want to debate issues, you should debate issues, not the person behind it."

Lotje, save your instructions for your great-grandchildren and train them as much as you wish. I am debating here whatever I want. Period.

Lotje1000 wrote:
More ad hominem, now also insulting a whole nation.

Not at all. It is D00M who is insulting his nation, being its representative here, on the international forum. He makes others think that everyone in his nation has a foul mouth.

Lotje1000 wrote:
Confusion. As I have no idea what tongues and licking have to do with this discussion.

Don’t worry. I am sure D00M has clear ideas so he can clarify that for you.

Helenej
Posted: Saturday, October 13, 2018 5:54:49 PM

BobShilling wrote:
This forum is not the place for name-calling or snark.

You remembered this only now, didn’t you? You didn’t remember it when you were gloatingly listening to those dirty words of your dirty-mouthed foreign friend?

BobShilling wrote:
As the admins/mods are doing nothing about the thread, I am just going to leave it to the two main players. Let's just hope this does not spread to other threads and cause the whole English Grammar forum to be poisoned.

I see. For you, the forum gets poisoned when you have to hear the truth about yourself. You don’t care a fig when other people make it poisoned by using their dirty language. Of course not – if you frown at them, they might stop calling you that sweet title - “the respected teacher”.

Lotje1000
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2018 8:34:40 AM

Neurons: 493,825
BobShilling wrote:

It's pointless, Lotje. As the admins/mods are doing nothing about the thread, I am just going to leave it to the two main players. Let's just hope this does not spread to other threads and cause the whole English Grammar forum to be poisoned - as happened in the past in the Politics forum more than once.

Fair, and also sad. I'll take you up on your advice.
TFD
Posted: Monday, October 15, 2018 10:20:01 AM

Neurons: 3
As we stated in another thread:

It is our policy not to disclose or comment on disciplinary actions or warnings issued to individual users.

However, we have been in communication with some of the users in question and will continue to monitor the situation.

It is our hope that we can moderate the Forums with the least amount of interference.
BobShilling
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2018 1:39:54 PM

TFD wrote:

It is our hope that we can moderate the Forums with the least amount of interference.

I suspect that you mean "with the least amount of effort to us".

I am guessing that very few members want mods/admins who jump in for every minor breach of etiquette, particularly in the Politics forum, where things can get a little heated at times - and cool down fairly rapidly. Personal abuse, and repeated personal abuse is unacceptable to any civilised person.

However, in the four and a half years that I have been following this site, I have seen several occasions on which you have allowed racist, misogynistic and abusive posts to continue for a long time before you have deigned to interfere - on at least two occasions because a member has used bad language in a deliberate attempt to attract your attention when all else has failed.

Reasonable, civilised members have left because of the distressing things you appear to tolerate here. More than one member has been acutely distressed by the abuse directed at them. A most unpleasant slanging match, involving plenty of personal abuse, has this month been continuing for over a week - in an open letter addressed to you!

You appear to be unwilling to allow member-moderators, despite their proven success in other similar forums, and yet you seem unable/unwilling to deal with the unpleasantness that discredits the names of the free dictionary and Farlex.

I long ago stopped recommending this site to my students. I am sure that I am not alone.
A cooperator
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 12:39:27 PM

IMHO, some members are here dealing some other members as the way some countries are dealing some other countries. In others words, some members get at some other members although members who are gotten at even don't like being advised by those members even to be criticised by them.
But, this also happens with countries, that is, that some countries don't like some other countries to interfere in their own internal affairs by saying it in many ways. But, that doesn't make any difference to interfering countries.Boo hoo!
I hope that let my voice be heard.

Whoever doesn't own what he promises to those who do not deserve must not promise it.
Tyoma
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 5:25:45 PM

Neurons: 147
A cooperator wrote:
some members get at some other members although members who are gotten at even don't like being advised by those members even to be criticised by them.

I wish I could understand which you call attackers and those who got attacked here.
A cooperator
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 8:31:40 PM

Tyoma wrote:
A cooperator wrote:
some members get at some other members although members who are gotten at even don't like being advised by those members even to be criticised by them.

I wish I could understand which you call attackers and those who got attacked here.

Are you kidding me here?
Whoever attacks other member here on this thread would be definitely under moderators' eyes since this thread has been strictly monitored. That is, here is as though we're at a court of law.

You can go through attackers' offensive replies on the forum.

L.Rai
Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:06:11 AM

Neurons: 1,055,134
I am completely at a loss as to the point of this thread now. It appears that two people are not able to get along...and they seem to want to pull others into the fray. Seriously? I wasn't going to comment and I will probably regret making this comment, but can the two of you just let it go and move on? Compared to other problems in our world today, this my friends isn't worth it.

To the admin people...while I respect that you feel "less is more" in terms of moderating this site...sometimes deleting a thread might be good for all. This has now degraded to the point where it's just useless bantering.

"Your life matters more than you will ever know, so live it well"
Tyoma
Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2018 1:41:01 PM

L.Rai wrote:
... they seem to want to pull others into the fray.

I, personally, see no signs of “pulling others into the fray”. It is obvious that “others” readily pulled up themselves and joined in the argument, playing the role of judges.
A cooperator
Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2018 5:21:45 PM

Tyoma wrote:
L.Rai wrote:
... they seem to want to pull others into the fray.

I, personally, see no signs of “pulling others into the fray”. It is obvious that “others” readily pulled up themselves and joined in the argument, playing the role of judges.

No one wise, I think, would like to make a problem out of this thread.

We can play the role of honest witnesses or complainers against the offensive words. However, moderators are playing the role of judges.

if someone had called you as "you're a bastard or whore", what would you have replied to them?
I, myself, would call anyone offending others through social networks is just like an electronic fly. If not, then you can make an appointment with those who you like to attack with offensive words, and meet each other in person and say those offensive words to them and that would pull each one into a real fray. At least, with this way, an offender would be brave.

P.S. I'm still surprised why some members prefer unrevealing their own countries names on their profiles (where are they from?).Think

Magnus v G
Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2018 6:29:36 AM

Neurons: 441,366
BobShilling wrote:

I long ago stopped recommending this site to my students. I am sure that I am not alone

TheFreeDictionary is a fantastic website! Lots of free dictionaries and encyclopaedias (including specialized ones) in one place - all stringed together just by clicking on a word (unless you're using the app - but maybe that function will be included in the app too in the future...)! Depending on your settings, all this can be experienced without much ad intrusions.

Can't you recommend the site but just warn them of the forum? It's pretty tucked away and is not a main feature anyway. Personally, I don't visit the forums much and I would continue using TFD without the message boards, if there were none. It is not integral to the experience or am I wrong?
Tyoma
Posted: Sunday, November 4, 2018 8:47:31 AM

Magnus v G wrote:
BobShilling wrote:
I long ago stopped recommending this site to my students. I am sure that I am not alone

Can't you recommend the site but just warn them of the forum?

I don’t see any sense even in BobShilling warning his students off the forum. 99.99 % of the threads here go without any quarrels. Those who come here to learn will just skip a quarrel. You might hear a bad word in the street, but it cannot be a reason to only keep your teenagers at home and not to let them go anywhere in town.