mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

An Open Letter to the Admin Options
Helenej
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 3:34:35 PM

Neurons: 10,538
Dear Admin,

One of the forum rules reads as follows:

The use of inappropriate or offensive language is not permitted on our site. Inappropriate or offensive language includes, but is not limited to, any language or content that is vulgar, obscene, abusive, defamatory, harassing, hateful ...

Posts which TheFreeDictionary’s moderators or administrators consider to be inappropriate or offensive will be edited or deleted at the staff’s discretion.

In the past few days, the forum member called D00M has used a number of words and phrases that are classified in most cultures as inappropriate or offensive language. For example, in the “Ing” thread in the Grammar section and the “Post code” thread in the Vocabulary section, he called me/said to me:

“pesky kid”
“idiot”
“poor creature”
“pest”
“crazed psycho”
“annoying fly”
“You are disgusting”
“I'm not a psychiatrist!
“You leave bullshit on my threads”.

Since the above-listed phrases from D00M’s lexicon have not been edited or deleted, I would appreciate it if you could officially confirm that the moderators and administrators consider these phrases appropriate and welcomed on the reputable TFD forum, and that anyone here may feel free to use them towards their opponents.

Sincerely,

Helenej

D00M
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 4:42:55 PM

Neurons: 7,645
Very good...

Why don't you put on record the offensive, sordanic, and drogatory language you used against me, Virgin Mary? I at least didn't insult your mother and culture, did I?

More importantly, you first started using offensive language against me.

That aside, soon after the dust of the "ing" thread settling down you once again came to my other threads and used provocative language in the hope of making me react harshly to collect more evidence for this thread. How many other sordid tricks do you have under your belt? Applause Applause

The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 5:22:03 PM

Neurons: 521,814
How about both of you -- just don't use that language. It doesn't improve either of your images.
Helenej
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 5:24:41 PM

Wilmar (USA) wrote:
How about both of you -- just don't use that language.

I even didn't use that language. The author of all those phrases is D00M. You see, he doesn't even deny that.
Helenej
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 5:30:09 PM

D00M wrote:
I at least didn't insult your mother and culture.

Neither did I.

D00M, there is no need for all this fuss of yours, though it’s obvious why you are scared and trying to make excuses for your foul language. Quite expectable.

But try not to worry. I asked the admins a very straightforward questions as to your foul language. If they decide that your language is appropriate on the forum, then you will be able to keep using it if you can’t prove a point in normal words.

Also, if you want to report me to the admins, then collect detailed information and write to them about how I insulted your mother and your culture. Come on, do it!

D00M
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2018 6:17:30 PM

No matter how you slice it or how hard you try to twist the facts, I declare, without a second of hesitation, that I used proper language "against your defamatory remarks and snide tone".

Put the links of the "ing" and other two threads 'in chronological order' here, and leave the final judgment with the Admins. I do believe in fair play, you know!

By the way, be careful not to be beaten at your own game this time, Virgin Mary!

The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
Helenej
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 1:58:23 AM

D00M wrote:
I declare … that I used proper language.

You may declare whatever you want if you didn’t understand my clear question in the OP. You didn’t get that I was not asking your opinion. I was asking the admins’ opinion as to whether the following words from your culture are appropriate language for the forum:

“pesky kid”
“idiot”
“poor creature”
“pest”
“crazed psycho”
“annoying fly”
“You are disgusting”
“I'm not a psychiatrist!

D00M wrote:
Put the links of the "ing" and other two threads 'in chronological order' here, and leave the final judgment with the Admins.

Again, you didn’t get my question at all. I simply asked the admins if the above-listed words are appropriate on the forum. If you are interested in putting anything in chronological, alphabetical, numerical or any other order, feel free to do so. Oh, and don’t forget to put in bold the words with which I insulted your mother. I guess you haven’t found them yet, though. Try harder. Brick wall

BobShilling
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 3:17:47 AM

Neurons: 3,706
Helenej wrote:
I was asking the admins’ opinion as to whether the following words from your culture are appropriate language for the forum:

I agree entirely that the language you quote is not appropriate here.

However, neither is the tone of the language you use in some posts (examples below). The forum would be a better place if both of you avoided ad hominem attacks.

Helenej wrote:
I see. As you have nothing to answer to my questions, then you have definitely betrayed your tribal culture and your upbringing provided to you by your precious mom. The poor woman must feel extremely frustrated right now, seeing her son unable to fight back evil and turning into evil himself.

maybe all those lofty words of yours were merely gibberish?

It’s probably your mom who taught her son to change his opinions like socks. She must believe this feature is respectable in a man.

So, how is our patient? Good, everything is going just as I expected, in compliance with the initial diagnosis. Now he is not only enraged. He feels extremely furious and completely pissed off. He can’t control himself and all his culture and upbringing is coming out of his mouth with this flush of consciousness. No doubt his mum brought him up by being his role model. To all appearances, while feeling pissed off herself, she called him ‘creature’, ‘disgusting’, ‘bullshit’, ‘idiot’ and ‘pest’. What an interesting “culture”. It is definitely worth spreading.

make sure you don’t laugh too loudly so that the coconuts won’t fall on your head

Our priest has started his preaching again. Way to go, D00M. You are worming your way correctly. Separating “respected teachers” from ignorant learners will get you a lot of favor in their eyes. Any native speaker on the forum will love you for that and answer your countless questions instantly. Indeed, why bother looking for the answer on the internet? – A bit of flatter and praise and no one is annoyed with the toady’s questions, answers to most of which are at hand on the web. I would only recommend you to preach louder. Not each one can hear you yet.

Do you always call a discussion “unnecessarily sophisticated” just because it is too difficult for you to follow it?

you are a real toady, who doesn’t address the natives other than “respected teachers” and preaching loudly, so that they can hear

Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 5:55:00 AM

Neurons: 429,560
Is this really a grammar question? Boo hoo!

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.
Helenej
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 5:56:24 AM

BobShilling wrote:

But so far, you have felt scared to state this opinion of yours, right? How manly! You had been approvingly watching D00M insulting people and calling them names, but you immediately raised your voice in his defence when the insulted part replied with some ironical words. Way to go, Bobshilling. I can’t do anything with the fact that some people, not being recognized in real life, get easily bought off by the virtual address “respected teacher” and that they get unable, for this reason, to stay unbiased, fair and honest to themselves.

BobShilling wrote:
…tribal culture, gibberish, patient...

As I can see, the sweetness of D00M’s address to you as “respected teacher” has found him favor in your eyes and even made you want to become his lawyer. Good. But being D00M’s lawyer means respecting his wishes. D00M wants the events to be put in chronological order.

If you did so, everyone would see that I said “our patient”, “tribal culture” and “jibberish”

only after D00M had already called me/said to me:

“pesky kid”
“idiot”
“poor creature”
“pest”
“I'm not a psychiatrist!”
“You are really disgusting”
“You leave bullshit in my threads”.

Mind also that he called me

“crazed psycho”
“annoying fly”

with no good reason, just because I mentioned that he had started his thread in the wrong section of the forum.

As for “patient”, I would like you to know that in my culture, we do consider people who call others the listed above names either to be mentally sick or to have been raised in the most vulgar and disreputable family, circle or surroundings. Are they considered normal people in your culture?

Next, what is bad about the word “toady” if I do see D00M a toady? A “toady” is “a person who praises and is artificially pleasant to people in authority, usually in order to get some advantage from them” (The Cambridge Dictionary). Moreover, I even explained in my post why I thought that highly of D00M:

"You are a real toady, who doesn’t address the natives other than “respected teachers” and preaching loudly, so that they can hear,

“We, English learners, should always trust native speakers bla-bla-bla”

or

“Even if native speakers make a mistake which is commonplace, that mistake is more correct than a grammatically correct bla-bla-bla”.

Lastly, you didn’t put in bold my would-be insults of D00M’s mother. Failed to find them? Anyway, D00M was the first one to mention his mom, how she had raised him and what she had taught him, that sort of things - not me!

Helenej
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 6:04:20 AM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Is this really a grammar question?

No, JJ, but I think this section is the best and the most noticeable place for my open letter. Even you have noticed it at once.Angel

You see, I used to write some things in the Site Features section, but no admin replied to me, which makes me think that way of communication doesn’t work.
BobShilling
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 7:52:19 AM

Helenej wrote:
You see, I used to write some things in the Site Features section, but no admin replied to me, which makes me think that way of communication doesn’t work.

My experience here suggests that few ways of trying to contact moderators or administrators work. While the common sense and civility of most members has generally kept the site a pleasant place to be over the years, occasional outbreaks of unpleasantness have broken out from time to time in the Politics and Philosophy and Religion forums(and, more recently in this one). Open letters and PMs to admins and mods have been largely ignored. If you want to attract their attention, it seems that you need to start a thread on your complaint with an obscenity in the title/subject line. This seems to work, though it may well get you banned.
D00M
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 10:56:01 AM

Helenej wrote:
BobShilling wrote:

But so far, you have felt scared to state this opinion of yours, right? How manly! You had been approvingly watching D00M insulting people

No no no! You are just one person! Don't overgeneralize! I have never ever argued with anybody in the forum and they have always treated me respectfully. I just responded to you (who initially used offensive language against me), and your offensive, mocking, and sardonic language. Don't expect anybody to praise you for insulting their intelligence, personality, etc.

Helenej: ... and calling them names, but you immediately raised your voice in his defence when the insulted part replied with some ironical words. Way to go, Bobshilling. I can’t do anything with the fact that some people, not being recognized in real life, get easily bought off by the virtual address “respected teacher” and that they get unable, for this reason, to stay unbiased, fair and honest to themselves.

Wow, you made me cry! You are truly a victim. Sick

Quote:
Helenej wrote:
I’m very sorry for your bad memory, Bob.

False! Bob has a prodigious memory!

The following is your first post in one of my threads
:

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst185718_Post-code.aspx

Helenej: D00M, instead of bothering the respected teachers with your numerous questions at that very moment, you first should try to type whatever you want to find out in the search engine bar on your computer, especially since your question isn’t related to English language in any way. Had you done it this time, you would have immediately found out that the number after the space in the postcode denotes the postcode sector and the two following letters denote the postcode unit.

Do I have to get consent from you for opening a thread in the forum? Do I have to explain to you my reasons for opening a thread? Why do you try to insult people's intelligence? When I ask a question, the respected teachers not only answer my exact question, but also explain other details and nuances around that subject that can never be found in any book, to cite just one reason. Furthermore, why do you try to force yourself to others? I joined the forum because of the presence of great teachers and native speakers (thar, Dragon Speaker, Foundit,NKM, Romany etc.), not you. If my question bothers them, why don't you let them express that themselves? Are your their representative?

Here is the link to the "ing" thread, just for the Admin's reference. Please see how our victim regenerated my thread into a farce! See how she argues with respectable teachers and when I rightly object to her unsolicited work, she gets aggressive and starts the first round of her pejorative speech.

http://forum.thefreedictionary.com/postst185497_Ing.aspx

Virgin Mary, your problem is that you think people are stupid. Think of a better plot to stitch them up next time.

Helenej
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 6:07:11 PM

It is obvious that the author of the post was extremely enraged while writing it.

Six screams, yells and shouts indicated by exclamation marks.
Six questions, half of which rhetorical.
Wild design of four different colors.
Half of the post in bold.
Huge spaces between paragraphs.
And the cherry on the cake: the weeping author of the post.

D00M, you are getting hysterical and I am worried about you. How long does it take an ambulance to get to your place?

D00M wrote:
They have always treated me respectfully.

No doubt they will respect you even more now that they have seen what words your foul mouth can produce:

“pesky kid”
“idiot like you”
“poor creature”
“pest”
“crazed psycho”
“annoying fly”
“You are disgusting”
“I'm not a psychiatrist!
“You leave bullshit on my threads”

D00M wrote:
False! Bob has a prodigious memory!

The forum toady at work, worming his way further on.
For your information, Bob recently admitted that he had forgotten something.

D00M wrote:
Here is the link to the "ing" thread, just for the Admin's reference.

Try to be more attentive, D00M. I mentioned the “Ing” thread at the beginning of this one. I am sure the admins can find threads by their names.

Anyway, I don’t think that a link alone will make a difference. I’ve already recommended that you collect the information, arrange it to the best of your abilities and complain to the admins. Don’t forget to report to them my would-be insults of your mom – those still remain a big mystery. Also, make sure you present the events in chronological order, mentioning that what I said to you

was after you had called me/said to me:

“pesky kid”
“idiot like you”
“poor creature”
“pest”
“You are disgusting”
“I'm not a psychiatrist!

D00M
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2018 7:07:08 PM

Can't you tolerate the content and logic of the paragraphs then criticise the punctuation and the space between them? Applause

Another ad hominem attack, of course.

Now shouldn't people call you "poor creature"?

The same boring stuff doesn't work; be creative. No new tricks up your sleeve?

As a matter of fact, the more you reveal yourself, the more you allow people to believe in the accuracy and correctness of the adjectives I used to describe you.

Helenej
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 2:34:55 AM

BobShilling wrote:
If you want to attract their attention, it seems that you need to start a thread on your complaint with an obscenity in the title/subject line. This seems to work, though it may well get you banned.

I never feel like saying obscenities. As you can see in the example of D00M, ordinary words can be much more effective.

Also, I don’t care about being banned. Evidently, I hardly ever ask questions here as I can use the Google search. Millions of questions have been asked about the English language on the Internet before. There are tons of grammar books online. A couple of clicks and you read the answer.

Besides, I am a member of several other forums, where native speakers and advanced learners instantly give answers and where there are no toadies preaching without any good reason, “We, English learners, should always trust native speakers bla-bla-bla”.

BobShilling wrote:
While the common sense and civility of most members has generally kept the site a pleasant place to be over the years…

Was it a typo, Bob?

Helenej
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 2:51:15 AM

That’s better, D00M. As I can see, my critics works.

The design of this post is more appropriate for the forum. Now it doesn’t remind a multicolored parrot from the Amazon forest.

No exclamation marks. Good. They made your previous post brought to mind that noisy bird.

And the main thing that gladdens me is that you have stopped crying. Women’s hysterics are a miserable sight, let alone those of men.

D00M wrote:
Can't you tolerate the content and logic of the paragraphs then criticise the punctuation and the space between them?

You might want to approach the respected teacher about correcting grammar in this sentence of yours. It is hardly understandable.

D00M wrote:
Another ad hominem attack, of course.

D00M, you should immediately report it to the admins along with my would-be insults of your mom. By the way, have you found them in my posts yet?

D00M wrote:
The same boring stuff doesn't work.

It does. It makes you reply to me. And it is not boring. Where else can people hear so much foul language produced by one forum member just in a couple of days? That is a really impressive bunch of dirty words, which one can rarely hear shouted out together even at a market place:

“pesky kid”
“idiot”
“poor creature”
“pest”
“crazed psycho”
“annoying fly”
“You are disgusting”
“I'm not a psychiatrist!

D00M
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 3:13:53 AM

Boring again!

I don't need to report you. You just gave a reflection of your mental faculty when you turned a blind eye to the logic of the paragraphs and got to the spaces!

Some more!

Enjoy.

BobShilling
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 3:16:46 AM

This is a great thread for those learners who want to know how to affront, disparage, belittle, cast aspersions on, decry, criticize, attack, speak ill of, speak badly of, blacken the character of, blacken the name of, defame, calumniate, besmirch, run down, abuse, insult, slight, revile, malign, vilify, bad-mouth, slate, do a hatchet job on, pull to pieces, pull apart, sling mud at, throw mud at, drag through the mud, rubbish, slag off, have a go at, ridicule, sneer, taunt, mock, scorn, jeer, sneer, rag, pillory, lampoon, etc.
Helenej
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 3:41:23 AM

BobShilling wrote:
This is a great thread for those learners who …

This is a great thread for those learners who come across a forum member with a dirty mouth producing words like:

“pesky kid”
“idiot”
“poor creature”
“pest”
“crazed psycho”
“annoying fly”
“You are disgusting”
“I'm not a psychiatrist!

D00M
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 3:49:41 AM

But great words in response to dirty minds. I also add the Bob's list to the other words. Make a picture of them and put them on the wall of your room not to forget who you are. Don't forget to bold my specific words in blue.Whistle

March Hare
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 4:28:36 AM

Neurons: 1,634,667

This forum is becoming a joke.
BobShilling
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 5:06:39 AM

March Hare wrote:

This forum is becoming a joke.

It's only a few threads so far. Don't give up hope so long as we have reasonable members such as Drag0, Hope, JJ, Romany, Thar and several others around, people who are more interested in responding to questions than in attacking others.

ps. I liked the cartoon you posted.
Helenej
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 5:19:24 AM

BobShilling wrote:
While the common sense and civility of most members has generally kept the site a pleasant place to be over the years…

Is it a grammar mistake or a typo, Bob?

BobShilling wrote:
... people who are more interested in responding to questions then in attacking others.

Helenej
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 5:24:33 AM

D00M wrote:
Boring again!

If it is boring, who makes you read it again and again?

D00M wrote:
I don't need to report you.

You are a really skittish person, changing your opinions depending on the wind. Just yesterday you were giving the admins the links to a thread with my would-be insults.

Helenej
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 5:26:29 AM

BobShilling wrote:
Don't give up hope so long as we have reasonable members such as Drag0, Hope, JJ, Romany, Thar and several others around, people who are more interested in responding to questions than in attacking others.

Amen.
BobShilling
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 5:27:54 AM

Helenej wrote:
BobShilling wrote:

Neither. I regarded 'common sense and civility' as one combined idea, as 'fish and chips', 'time and effort' can be.

BobShilling wrote:
... people who are more interested in responding to questions then in attacking others.

Typo. Now corrected, thanks.
Helenej
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 5:42:50 AM

BobShilling wrote:
[quote=Helenej][quote=BobShilling]While the common sense and civility of most members has generally kept the site a pleasant place to be over the years…

D00M
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 5:51:49 AM

You started the thread and tried to twist the facts. I just marred your dubious plans. If I want to report anything, be sure it would be my last option to do such stuff as "Open letter...". Try at least to be wiser than a two-year-old child!

Bob, add "skittish" to the list.

Another ad hominem attack!

Haven't you found any answer to the paragraphs in green yet, Mary?

I think you have tried all the ways, attacks, insults and plans. And of course when see yourself at bay, you resort to ad hominem attacks, just clear from your first round of insults in the "ing" thread.

By the way, didn't those advanced learners teach you how to use tag questions and conditionals? Or were you all busy misleading learners there as well? Even one teacher didn't approve of what you said in the "ing" thread, remember?

Don't you want to prescribe memory supplements for teachers any more?

Do they have to still hit their heads again brick walls against your void arguments?

What a failure indeed!

D00M
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 5:55:18 AM

And if you feel too pedantic, why don't you watch yours?

Helenej:
As I can see, my critics works.

Bob is not writing a book here!

BobShilling
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 6:02:05 AM

This thread is getting horribly sidetracked from the the original post and the first two responses. How about leaving it there and waiting for admins to respond in some way?
Lotje1000
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 6:31:48 AM

Neurons: 494,655
Helenej wrote:
But so far, you have felt scared to state this opinion of yours, right? How manly! You had been approvingly watching D00M insulting people and calling them names, but you immediately raised your voice in his defence when the insulted part replied with some ironical words. Way to go, Bobshilling. I can’t do anything with the fact that some people, not being recognized in real life, get easily bought off by the virtual address “respected teacher” and that they get unable, for this reason, to stay unbiased, fair and honest to themselves.

Ad hominem, throwing shade on someone's "manliness", as if that has something to do with the issue at hand.
Misrepresentation of BobShilling's point, which was just to say that they agreed with you. While you say your only point is to draw attention from the Admins, you certainly seem to put much effort into defending your position and attacking anyone who has an opinion on the situation - especially one that also points out your own flaws.

Helenej wrote:
As I can see, the sweetness of D00M’s address to you as “respected teacher” has found him favor in your eyes and even made you want to become his lawyer.

Leaping to conclusions there. BobShilling's point was that you also use ad hominem attacks. They weren't defending D00M. In fact, they explicitly said they agreed with you on the inappropriate language.

Helenej wrote:
If you did so, everyone would see that I said “our patient”, “tribal culture” and “jibberish”

Not sure what you're trying with this, but it looks like a distraction or strawman to me.

Helenej wrote:
As for “patient”, I would like you to know that in my culture, we do consider people who call others the listed above names either to be mentally sick or to have been raised in the most vulgar and disreputable family, circle or surroundings. Are they considered normal people in your culture?

The whole question in itself is an ad hominem.

Helenej wrote:
Next, what is bad about the word “toady” if I do see D00M a toady? A “toady” is “a person who praises and is artificially pleasant to people in authority, usually in order to get some advantage from them” (The Cambridge Dictionary).

The point is that it's an ad hominem. If you want to debate issues, you should debate issues, not the person behind it. Especially not if you're then going to call them out for using inappropriate language, while using inappropriate language yourself.
BobShilling
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 7:38:49 AM

Applause Applause Applause
Absinthius
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 9:03:19 AM

Neurons: 24,041
Agreed Bob!

I'm kinda falling for Lotje a little more everytime I see one of those dissecting posts! Very enjoyable to read!

Look, how about this? Let's pretend we've had the row and I've won. See? It saves a lot of effort.
D00M
Posted: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 10:48:50 AM

BobShilling wrote:
This thread is getting horribly sidetracked from the the original post and the first two responses. How about leaving it there and waiting for admins to respond in some way?

I will do as advised, Bob.

Also, a special thanks to Lotje; took the words right out of my mouth.