a filter? Options
QP
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 4:52:22 AM

Neurons: 6,516
Hi friend,

Could you explain the meaning of the below sentence:-

there isn’t much of a filter between anyone, but, my mom is supportive
in my life with everything.

I have looked up in dictionaries, but still don't understand the meaning of 'a filter' in the above sentence.

Does it mean the family doesn't help each another?

Thank you
QP
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 5:51:33 AM

Neurons: 176,780
Hi!

As a single sentence, it doesn't mean anything to me either.
Maybe if I knew the whole paragraph I could figure it out.

Sometimes, when people say someone "doesn't have a filter" it means they are not diplomatic. They say what they think no matter whether it hurts of upsets anyone.

"I see you had your hair done! That looks terrible. How can you go out looking like that?"

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
thar
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 6:23:44 AM

Neurons: 72,390
I agree it is most likely a lack of an 'off switch' where people may think something but not say it. A filter stops some stuff getting though. People with no filter just say anything that comes into their head, however embarrassing or hurtful it may be.

They are that sort of family.

Some people I have met do that in a nasty way and excuse it by saying 'that is just me, that is who I am - if you don't like it, that is not my problem'. As if they are proud of it. I think that is just a lazy excuse for not bothering to think about the impact of what you say. It is no justification for them being a nasty person! (In my opinion. Whistle )

Did you try the urban dictionary - it is not always on point but it does contain the idioms that dictionaries don't. I guess you couldn't get there by just 'filter'?
Quote:
No Filter
A term used to describe someone who is very direct when conversing on various subjects. Anyone described as having no filter says exactly what is on his/her mind without cleaning up their language, no matter how offensive or politically incorrect it may be.

QP
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 9:03:29 AM

Neurons: 6,516
Thar: I tried the urban dictionary and found 'No filter', but I am not sure whether it can apply in my context.

However, thank you, everyone. I get it now.