The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Information Terrorists Trying to Reshape America/Other Countries Options
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 9:04:10 PM

Neurons: 48,167
This article may be about America, but it is what many countries are dealing with. I limit Facebook to family and a couple of close friends so I see none of that there. But there was an article today in the Toronto Star today asking if they can stop Musk of Tesla why can't they make Zuckerberg have a separate board chairman and shape up. Hacks of millions of accounts on FB are happening frequently. (I would send them pix of my flowers any time they want. Whistle And my birthdate is incorrect.) Zuckerberg is not accountable to anyone and he is shaping the world.

I don't do Instagram, Snapchat or others.

However, I see a lot of these bots at work dispensing lies on Twitter. I've reported several threatening tweets and racist comments. To their credit Twitter has removed the accounts of those I reported. Many people do report when they see such garbage. But unfortunately they don't remove anything for just being a lie, athough I think they are chasing after some of these organized terrorists. And that is exactly what they do - try to create terror so someone like Dr. Ford has to move from her home. I see them targeting Canadians, Brits, and Americans and their governments.

I checked out wired.com and they use emotional words with a centre to left bias, bur their facts have high accuracy.

https://www.wired.com/story/information-terrorists-trying-to-reshape-america/

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-zuckerberg-facebook-chairman-ceo-investors.html

This gets scarier every day because many people get their "news" from social media or only one media outlet, don't bother to check facts even if it is outrageous or stupid, and believe everything they are told if it agrees with their confirmation bias or their political leaning. These terrorists make death threats, and harass anybody who disgrees with them. They use awful language.

Is there nothing we can do to stop the spread of these lies by information terrorists? Is there anything the US could do besides sanctions if the admin admitted that Russia did hack and sway the US election?

We need some bright (maybe even young?) computer nerds to figure out a way to stop them every time they mutate.

Any ideas to brainstorm?

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 9:48:02 PM

About that alert American phones got today John McAfee tweeted this:

"The "Presidential alerts": they are capable of accessing the E911 chip in your phones - giving them full access to your location, microphone, camera and every function of your phone. This not a rant, this is from me, still one of the leading cybersecurity experts. Wake up people!"

Some were arguing with him about the mechanism, but McAfee is part of the world's largest cyber security with a firewall for phones and computers. The alerts cannot be turned off. He got one himself.

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
redgriffin
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 11:32:18 AM

Neurons: 151,291
It is time to face facts the fact that we all seem to carry cell phones or even pocket computers with apps that can give us information that is tailored to your wants and needs means that we have very little privacy left in our lives.
RuthP
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 1:19:36 PM

Neurons: 63,618
They can try. As my phone spends much of its time turned off and deep in the pocket of a bag, they will likely gain very little. I do not have GPS activated unless I am currently actively using it. Ditto the camera. Ditto the speech to text or talk with an assistant feature (don't use that at all). It was off for the President's emergency test, which I knew was coming, as would anyone who read, watched or listened to the news.

The phone remains off much of the time. I turn it on to check for calls or messages. I leave it on when I am actively making plans and/or meeting people and/or expecting a time-critical call. The upshot is that my phone works much the way a landline with an answering machine would work, except I have the option of using it as many use a cell phone when I need or want to do so.

Simply because it is handy to have instantaneous connection does not mean I must be connected continuously for the convenience of people I neither know nor wish to have know me.

None of this is proof from spying. As far as I know, it is not currently possible to buy a smartphone with a hard (mechanical) switch to turn off these functions. My phone has a mechanical switch I push and hold to turn the phone off, but after holding, it asks me if I wish to power off and I must touch the screen to confirm. I suspect this means it is possible for a remote signal to turn the phone back on even though I must again push/hold a mechanical switch to power up. Once powered up, all the on/off controls for the functions are done through the touch screen. This is electrical impulses, which could readily be generated from outside the phone.

About two decades ago, before the era of smartphones, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, before Gmail even--though Google itself was either there or would be shortly--in the AOL e-mail, Hotmail, Yahoo mail era, I had a discussion about privacy with my brother and sister-in-law. At the time, both had worked for Hewlett-Packard for a couple of decades, ever since college. Even back in those primitive days, it was quite evident that privacy as commonly thought of was gone. E-mail travels over common carrier and you, the sender, have no control over whose' systems it passes through or whether or not they capture and store information.

Take text or voice, and multiply that. It is unlikely your phone carrier owns all the towers through which your message (or voice) travels from you to the recipient. Phone towers broadcast. Anything broadcast may be received by someone other than the intended recipient. Internet traffic may also be broadcast between some nodes. Telecommunications companies own satellites for a reason, but there is no way to use a satellite but to broadcast.

And, the NSA (US National Security Agency) continues to collect metadata. They must get a warrant from FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance (Act)) Court only if it involves US to US calls. Otherwise, the data collection is warrantless. As far as warrants go, FISA court refuses very few requests. After record numbers of refusals in 2016 (last year of Barack Obama's presidency) and 2017 (first year of Donald Trump's presidency) the FISA refusal rate was 0.11%. That's right, just over one-tenth of one percent. And, of course, while we all love to be paranoid about the government, that says nothing about the for-profit voluntary data release to advertisers and possible for-profit or ideological release to . . . well, call them activist groups . . . of any stripe, or of inadvertent release through hacking and electronic invasion and theft.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 1:45:36 PM

Neurons: 182,345
RuthP wrote:
Simply because it is handy to have instantaneous connection does not mean I must be connected continuously for the convenience of people I neither know nor wish to have know me.

Slightly different wording.
I have a mobile phone so that phone technology is available to me wherever I am when I want to make a call. I don't have it so that I'm available to anyone who wants to call me wherever I am.

I noticed that 'alert' thing on my new phone.
"Presidential Alerts" - cannot be disabled. A direct NSA link in to every phone.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
ozok
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 1:59:51 PM

Neurons: 903

Quote:

…About two decades ago... back in those primitive days, it was quite evident that privacy as commonly thought of was gone….

Even much earlier than this, there were the White Pages (telephone directories) that listed the name, address and phone number for almost the whole population. And everybody thought that this was perfectly ‘normal’. The directory was delivered biennially free to your doorstep with an update. Where I live now, this book has been discontinued- the reason was not because of privacy but because of ecological concerns.

just sayin'
ozok
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 2:06:55 PM

Neurons: 903

The down side of turning off your phone is that you also miss any AMBER ALERTS or national emergencies bulletins…at least where I live.

The downside of leaving your phone on is that we could get another 'The War of the Worlds' broadcast situation.

just sayin'
RuthP
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 3:36:47 PM

Neurons: 63,618
ozok wrote:

The down side of turning off your phone is that you also miss any AMBER ALERTS or national emergencies bulletins…at least where I live.

The downside of leaving your phone on is that we could get another 'The War of the Worlds' broadcast situation.

Ah yes, but these are also broadcast on the radio, to which I can listen without anyone listening back.Edit: Both the Amber alerts, and any potential "War of the Worlds". Dancing
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 4:37:51 PM

Neurons: 522,460
I would like to strongly note that AGE has nothing to do with being computer-savvy. The "real" computer nerds are older, much to YOUR surprise!
Hope123
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 5:07:41 PM

Wilmar (USA) wrote:
I would like to strongly note that AGE has nothing to do with being computer-savvy. The "real" computer nerds are older, much to YOUR surprise!

Not to MY surprise. Please, note that I put the young in brackets and said maybe even. It was just to note that the young should not be discounted. Of course experience is often better, especially if they keep up with the latest, but even 14 year-olds-have come up with some brilliant recent scientific ideas that are logistically sound. I have computer nerds of ALL ages in my family. I don't care how old they are - as long as they fix what I just screwed up. Angel

Hope123
Posted: Thursday, October 4, 2018 6:00:50 PM

Until a couple of weeks ago my cell phone was always off for two reasons.

One, I had to change my number because I was getting crank calls from a nearby exchange where the numbers had been hacked somehow. When I called back, the owner had no idea how their number was used. I also got calls showing my own number. What really bugs me is unwanted text messages using up my data.

Two, my hand-me-down phone was so old the battery ran down immediately unless I left it off and used the phone for emergencies or quick calls. The calendar also did not sync with our other devices.

Then I offered to buy my granddaughter's old phone from her when she got a new one. My computer nerd son, who for several reasons had some configuring to do to get me set up, gave me heck for leaving it off until he heard why. He said he wanted to know he could text me if he needed to for any reason.

So, I bought that iPhone 6 (still a hand-me-down but all I need) and love having a phone that works. I can now play bridge at the doctor's offices. 😀 And I leave it on with all the privacy features available being set.

Setting devices up to suit us is about all we can do as individuals.

But it is the fact that those with evil intentions can manipulate the values and morals of others so easily with a slow but steady drip drip that seems to be the most scary to me. I can't believe all the evilness that has crawled out from under the rocks in Canada recently. Perhpas it was always there and not evident, but I think they feed off of one another's cruelty, thus multiplying it. And it makes them feel big, as if as if they belong to a group, so they feel good. Something like joining a gang is what I am trying to say, I guess, except it is widespread and bigger. Some of them are organizing, pulling dirty tricks, and telling lies to each other and the public. Edited: these are real people, but they set up the bots etc. Some are not even Canadian.