The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Cucumbers vegetable Options
Joe Kim
Posted: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 12:45:15 AM

Neurons: 2,645
Cucumbers are 1. A vegetable / 2. Vegetables.

Which is correct?
palapaguy
Posted: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 1:05:57 AM

Neurons: 10,840
Joe Kim wrote:
Cucumbers are 1. A vegetable / 2. Vegetables.

Which is correct?

Cucumbers as a class are a vegetable.

Cucumbers as individual items are vegetables.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 2:27:14 AM

Neurons: 176,780
It "sounds more agreeable" to have plurals or singulars on both sides of the verb.

Cucumbers are vegetables.
A cucumber is a vegetable.
The cucumber (generalised form meaning the whole species) is a vegetable.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
BobShilling
Posted: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 3:02:04 PM

Neurons: 3,474
Actually, cucumbers are in the fruit family.

“The simplest way to identify which is a fruit and which is a vegetable is that fruit has seeds. So in a cucumber the seeds run through the middle of the plant. In an avocado or olive, the seed is the stone at the centre. Remember that and you really can’t go wrong.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/10129729/Do-you-know-your-fruit-from-your-vegetables.html
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 8:34:36 PM

Neurons: 47,564
Bob, that's an easier way to identify it than figuring out if it came from a flower which produces the seeds - which I always do. Just look at the product itself. lol

All fruits come from flowers, but not all flowers become fruits. Fruits are typically derived from the ovaries of a flower and contain seeds. This means all parts of a plant that flower (including most culinary nuts and berries) are “fruits” and all non-flowering parts of plants are “vegetables”.

How we classify a food often depends on if we are talking botanically, culinarily, and sometimes politically.

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
renee talley 1
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 12:22:59 AM

Neurons: 2,403
Think Think Think Anxious Cucumbers are considered as as a vegetable;;: There is a variety Dancing Whistle Applause Think Think Applause Whistle Applause of cucumber to be considered as vegetables.
BobShilling
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 2:55:14 AM

Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 3:56:58 AM

Neurons: 176,780
That's interesting - it grows in a similar way to a rose-hip, then. (Or an opium-pod, if that's where your interest lies . . .)
Definitely a fruit.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 4:55:34 AM

Neurons: 6,740
As someone once said:

Quote:

“Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.”

― Miles Kington

It appears the same is true of a cucumber.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 5:06:22 AM

Neurons: 72,397
Technically, in a botanical classification, there is no such thing botanically as a vegetable - a fruit is anything where the seeds are contained within something edible to spread the seeds by using animals.

Horticulturally speaking, a vegetable plant is herbaceous and annual or biennial, whereas a fruit plant is woody and perennial.

(Then of course you have the perennials like rhubarb and artichokes where you eat the buds and stems - but they are not woody plants)

So a 'vegetable' in common parlance can have fruit and flowers as well as leaves, stems and roots. It just depends what you choose to eat (and thus when you choose to harvest it, within its life cycle).

So I think the cucumber plant qualifies as a vegetable, and the long green mature ovary that you eat is technically the 'fruit' of the cucumber plant.

BobShilling
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 7:17:09 AM

Hope123 wrote:

How we classify a food often depends on if we are talking botanically, culinarily, and sometimes politically.[/i]

Very true.

ozok
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 9:08:08 AM

Neurons: 618

Quote:

How we classify a food often depends on if we are talking botanically, culinarily, and sometimes politically.

Or supermarketly[sic], in which section you find it at 24 Safeway or Sainsbury's.

just sayin'
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, October 3, 2018 3:04:07 PM

Neurons: 47,564
Further Digression:

http://www.whatallergy.com/2012/11/can-you-be-allergic-to-cucumber/

Since cucumber, watermelon and other kinds of squash and melons are mostly water, people find it strange that one could be allergic to them. The same happens with foods like celery and lettuce. But yes, you can be allergic to anything you eat, put on your body, or even absorb from the air.

If only foods didn't have similar proteins to the pollens in the air! An allergist told me that most people don't know they are moderately allergic to at least one food they eat and wonder why their health is not optimum.

Allergies are increasing, especially in children. They are trying to figure out why and to get new treatments. Many healthcare dollars and days lost at work are because of allergies and food allergies.

https://www.foodsmatter.com/allergy_intolerance/causes-allergy/articles/plant-cross-reactivity-and-allergy-01-16.html

http://www.foodallergens.info/Facts/Pollen&Food/Which_Foods.html

This chart has only three pollens. There are a lot more pollens that cross react with food. Also, just because you react to one food in a family, you don't necessarily react to all of them. I have these three of a long list of pollen, mold, and animal allergies, plus milk and egg allergy which are animal based. But with ingenuity I manage.

http://www.mygutsy.com/do-your-allergies-cross-react/

This list of food families gives an idea but I prefer to refer to a scientific botanical list.

There are two ways to help: Not always but often cooking removes the enzyme so you can eat the cooked food but not the raw. Also, going on a four day rotary diet (I have enough foods to do three days which is not optimum) organized according to food families helps. However, that makes it difficult to make favourite combinations of foods like stew etc.

This diagnosis is fairly recent in food allergy. I did not know with what I was dealing for over 40 years. It usually does not result in anaphylaxis as some like peanut and so forth do. Mine is only a 5% risk for these foods (have to be very careful about peanut and soy though) and was told to carry an Epi pen. Before I was diagnosed and after many years of not eating raw peach, I decided to try some. Often that is when you get a severe reaction but nothing happened. So a month later I ate a few more bites. But it was pollen season. I was covered in hives from my ears to the bottom of my feet. And the calamine lotion made it worse. In spite of cortisone and antihistamine it took 4 days till it left my system for the hives to leave. I'm now afraid to try even cooked peach. And they are so yummy!

Anyhow, hope somehow this info is helpful to at least one person and maybe of interest to others. I like to share what I've learned by picking doctors' brains all these years in case it can help someone else.

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau