The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

stomach hollowed out Options
lazarius
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 11:53:06 AM

Neurons: 98,212
I want to see this.

https://books.google.com/books?id=AwHgAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA285&dq=%22stomach+hollowed+out%22

Quote:
Oh, God. My stomach hollowed out, and I couldn't hold back the sobs anymore.

--

Не надо отчаиваться, товарищ.
RuthP
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 3:35:54 PM

Neurons: 53,528
lazarius wrote:
I want to see this.

https://books.google.com/books?id=AwHgAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA285&dq=%22stomach+hollowed+out%22

Quote:

--

This is fiction. The sentence is descriptive of what the character is feeling. It is figurative, not literal and is a very common form of writing.

The truth of such description (again, figuratively--in this case) is becoming increasingly explained by research into the intimate connection between the gut and the brain. It might also help to remember that instinctively, without any volitional control, humans and other animals will empty the gut (both ends) in situations of extreme fear. It is a part of fight-or-flight response.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 10:06:05 PM

Neurons: 50,661
RuthP wrote:
lazarius wrote:
I want to see this.

Quote:

--

This is fiction. The sentence is descriptive of what the character is feeling. It is figurative, not literal and is a very common form of writing.

The truth of such description (again, figuratively--in this case) is becoming increasingly explained by research into the intimate connection between the gut and the brain. It might also help to remember that instinctively, without any volitional control, humans and other animals will empty the gut (both ends) in situations of extreme fear. It is a part of fight-or-flight response.

This brought back a memory of a night during the Tet Offensive of '68 when, convinced I wouldn't survive the night (we called it "hearing the angel wings"), I had a bout of emesis. Surprisingly, it clears the mind, and afterwards, the fear left me. What began as a horrible night turned to my advantage. Probably too much information...Shhh

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
lazarius
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2018 11:28:24 PM

Neurons: 98,212
Thanks to you both.

--

Не надо отчаиваться, товарищ.
RuthP
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 12:16:18 PM

Neurons: 53,528
FounDit wrote:
RuthP wrote:
lazarius wrote:
I want to see this.

Quote:

--

This brought back a memory of a night during the Tet Offensive of '68 when, convinced I wouldn't survive the night (we called it "hearing the angel wings"), I had a bout of emesis. Surprisingly, it clears the mind, and afterwards, the fear left me. What began as a horrible night turned to my advantage. Probably too much information...Shhh

Thank you,FounDit! You've solid, personal proof that the fight or flight response has real survival value. That's something I could always believe: it shows in too many species to be something random. It's quite something, however, to hear such a story from someone I know. (Yeah, it's only virtual, but still, we've known each other a while.)