The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Ing Options
Helenej
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 6:42:42 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
BobShilling wrote:
Five native speakers ... have tried to assist you.

The five native speakers did help me and what they said (in one way or another) did confirm what I had thought about the difference between 'I'm going to have' and 'I'm having'.

Thank you very much to all of you.
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:32:14 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,257
Neurons: 47,467
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Helenej wrote:
BobShilling wrote:
Five native speakers ... have tried to assist you.

The five native speakers did help me and what they said (in one way or another) did confirm what I had thought about the difference between 'I'm going to have' and 'I'm having'.

Thank you very much to all of you.


If you are referring to what I said about nuance, you cherry picked, left my last sentence out, and took what I said out of context. I did NOT, repeat Not, corroborate your opinion. I said the decision had been made BEFORE the statement. I would suggest you look up the words intent, nuance, emphasis, and before in the dictionary to get exact definitions.

I would also suggest you send out written invitations with date, time, and place next time you say you are going to have a party and inviting native speakers, English teachers, abd ESL teachers.Whistle





Elitism is the slur directed at merit by mediocrity. -Sydney J. Harris, journalist (14 Sep 1917-1986)
D00M
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 4:07:57 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/24/2017
Posts: 1,603
Neurons: 7,558
Much appreciated.
Thank you very much all.

We, English learners, should always trust native speakers when they all have the same idea about a point because they are the owners of the language, and rules laid out in grammar books are just there to give us a picture of how language is used and felt by native speakers. Even if native speakers make a mistake which is commonplace, that mistake is more correct than a grammatically correct but unnatural utterance usually made by a non-native.



The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of English Grammar, 1761.

The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
Romany
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 5:47:29 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 6/14/2009
Posts: 14,378
Neurons: 44,782
Location: Brighton, England, United Kingdom

Also want it made clear that I, as one of the native speakers, categorically did NOT, in any measure, corroborate Helenej's theory.

And am glad to see that Doom, at least, understands the relationship between text-book language and valid English usage.
maltliquor87
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 6:03:52 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 11/29/2017
Posts: 135
Neurons: 55,182
Location: Moscow, Moscow, Russia
Thank you for this interesting thread.

Heleney's takeaway message is the most bizarre one that I've seen on this forum.
Helenej
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 9:47:20 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
D00M wrote:
We, English learners, should always trust native speakers when they all have the same idea about a point.

We probably should, but the sad thing is that the six native speakers taking part in the discussion don’t all have the same idea about the point. I wish you had noticed two of them state clearly the differences between the constructions in question, while the rest insisted that the constructions mean the same.

Helenej
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 9:51:32 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
maltliquor87 wrote:
Heleney's takeaway message is the most bizarre one that I've seen on this forum.

If you were able to read threads on the forum carefully and thoughtfully (including reading them several times if needed), you might have been able to notice the differences between the two constructions in question pointed out by two of the native speakers in this thread. Try to find them and my takeaway will seem ways less bizarre to you than the instant transformation of the civil businessman Ruslan Boshirov into the decorated colonel Anatoly Chepigo seems to Putin. Whistle
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 12:11:44 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,257
Neurons: 47,467
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
DOOM.

Everybody else has so given up and probably no longer reading this thread. I hope what people have said helped.

Your question was shortened. You added to both statements "I hope you can come". There is no question that you DEFINITELY INTEND to have a party with both statements so the whole thread was not necessary.

However, since the phrases WERE taken out of context I shall add one more post to an already belaboured concept.

Helene, I reread the thread and I see only ONE person who saw a slight nuance but still said they MEAN same thing. Me. And it was a nuance in EMPHASIS, NOT MEANING. Nobody, including me, supported your concept in any way.

I'm not sure if you just ignored what we said or if your English comprehension is not yet to the level of really being able to understand what the native speakers actually said.

Believe what you wish to believe - we don't care. But just be aware that native speakers will expect a party either way you say it. BOTH say that you definitely intend to have a party. I am having is still only intention because we can't predict the future.

"Going to and will" are equated in the dictionary definition. Will and shall are another way of expressing the future. I don't want to get into the complicated "will" and "shall" usages but even if you say "I shall have a party" you are still only definitely intending to have a party - because nobody can predict the future. English treats the future differently than some other languages.

A couple of other misconceptions you have about English:

Helenej wrote: "If there are two different ways to say something, then there is a difference."

Not necessarily. English has many different ways to say lots of things that mean exactly the same.

Helenej wrote: "How can a phenomenon in a language be felt as “less correct” because of being younger if it has existed in the language for about two and a half centuries? How can be that phenomenon be frowned at for so long, after your parents, grandparents, great grandparents and so on have used the construction all the time? I mean the Present Continuous for future events."

There is no "how". It just happens all the time as people create words and usages that become popular. Languages evolve.



Elitism is the slur directed at merit by mediocrity. -Sydney J. Harris, journalist (14 Sep 1917-1986)
Helenej
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 4:10:23 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
Hope123 wrote:
Helene, I reread the thread and I see only ONE person who saw a slight nuance...

I see two. The other was BobShilling relating the Present Continuous with ‘arrangement’. He then tried, though, to prove that I should consider my own arrangement to be some sort of evidence for myself, but I think it is not compatible with the definition of the word ‘evidence’.
So there were two of you.


Hope123 wrote:
Nobody, including me, supported your concept in any way.

I think I can live with that, though I’m not sure now what you call “my concept” and what you call “your concept”.

Anyway, as you probably remember, merely the number of those who disagree with me has never made me change my mind. So there is no need to appeal to the number. This time, I’ve heard about the differences from you, BobShilling, Romany and that’s enough for me to have my point of view. By saying my "thank you to all of you" earlier in this thread, I showed that your further arguments would be just a waste of time. Of course if your goal is to continue convincing DOOM, then you may go ahead.


Hope123 wrote:
I'm not sure if you just ignored what we said or if your English comprehension is not yet to the level of really being able to understand what the native speakers actually said.

Neither. I wish you could see a third option.

Hope123 wrote:
Believe what you wish to believe - we don't care.

It doesn’t look very much like that.

Hope123 wrote:
But just be aware that native speakers will expect a party either way you say it.

Did I say they won’t?

Hope123 wrote:
BOTH say that you definitely intend to have a party. I am having is still only intention because we can't predict the future.

We can’t, but we make arrangements to make the party more likely.

Hope123 wrote:
A couple of other misconceptions you have about English:

Helenej wrote: "If there are two different ways to say something, then there is a difference."

Not necessarily. English has many different ways to say lots of things that mean exactly the same.

Yes, there is a difference. The difference may be in meaning, register, emphasis, etimology, regionalalism etc., – but there is a difference. I’m sorry you still have this misconception about English.

Hope123 wrote:
Helenej wrote: "How can a phenomenon in a language be felt as “less correct” because of being younger if it has existed in the language for about two and a half centuries? How can be that phenomenon be frowned at for so long, after your parents, grandparents, great grandparents and so on have used the construction all the time? I mean the Present Continuous for future events."

There is no "how".

You are right here, but actually my questions were rhetorical. There is no ‘how’. The answer to them both is ‘in no way’.

D00M
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 5:01:31 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/24/2017
Posts: 1,603
Neurons: 7,558
Helenj, why are you so argumentative?

The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
Helenej
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 5:11:53 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
D00M wrote:
Helenj, why are you so argumentative?

DOOM, why are you so judgemental?
D00M
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 5:21:26 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/24/2017
Posts: 1,603
Neurons: 7,558
Helenej wrote:
D00M wrote:
Helenj, why are you so argumentative?

DOOM, why are you so judgemental?


Because you gave me enough evidence, clue and reasons to rightly judge you so based on your manners and how you make matters sophisticated unnecessarily leading to an argument and straying off course.

The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
Helenej
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 6:04:33 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
D00M wrote:
Helenej wrote:
DOOM, why are you so judgemental?

Because you gave me enough evidence, clue and reasons to rightly judge you so based on your manners and how you make matters sophisticated unnecessarily leading to an argument and straying off course.

1. Do you always call a discussion “unnecessarily sophisticated” just because it is too difficult for you to follow it?

2. So far, I can see that it is you who is straying off topic, trying to discuss my personality on the thread devoted to ‘be going to’.

3. I am not arguing with myself, aren’t I? However you prefer not to see the other side arguing with me just because you are a real toady, who doesn’t address the natives other than “respected teachers” and preaching loudly, so that they can hear,

“We, English learners, should always trust native speakers bla-bla-bla”

or

“Even if native speakers make a mistake which is commonplace, that mistake is more correct than a grammatically correct bla-bla-bla”.


D00M
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 7:25:08 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/24/2017
Posts: 1,603
Neurons: 7,558
Your tag question is wrong. It should be:

I'm not arguing with myself, am I?

Try to learn from "respected teachers" and native speakers.

We, English learners, should first learn basic English before getting into an argument with experienced native teachers.



The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2018 8:49:21 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,257
Neurons: 47,467
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Sorry I continued with reason to try to explain, giving her a forum, DOOM. It won't happen again by me, I assure you. Her Ad Hominem attacks on you are not welcome on this forum.

BTW, there is no such thing as being "judgemental" (sic).

Your judgment is just fine.




Elitism is the slur directed at merit by mediocrity. -Sydney J. Harris, journalist (14 Sep 1917-1986)
Helenej
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 2:59:11 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
D00M wrote:
Try to learn from "respected teachers" and native speakers.

We, English learners, should first learn basic English before getting into an argument with experienced native teachers.

Oh my gosh! Our priest has started his preaching again. Way to go, D00M. You are worming your way correctly. Separating “respected teachers” from ignorant learners will get you a lot of favor in their eyes. Any native speaker on the forum will love you for that and answer your countless questions instantly. Indeed, why bother looking for the answer on the internet? – A bit of flatter and praise and no one is annoyed with the toady’s questions, answers to most of which are at hand on the web. I would only recommend you to preach louder. Not each one can hear you yet.

Helenej wrote:
1. Do you always call a discussion “unnecessarily sophisticated” just because it is too difficult for you to follow it?

2. So far, I can see that it is you who is straying off topic, trying to discuss my personality on the thread devoted to ‘be going to’.

3. I am not arguing with myself, aren’t I? However you prefer not to see the other side arguing with me just because you are a real toady, who doesn’t address the natives other than “respected teachers” and preaching loudly, so that they can hear,

“We, English learners, should always trust native speakers bla-bla-bla”
or
“Even if native speakers make a mistake which is commonplace, that mistake is more correct than a grammatically correct bla-bla-bla”.

You had nothing to reply to my question and remarks? Truth hurts, doesn’t it?

Helenej
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 3:04:01 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
Hope123 wrote:
Sorry I continued with reason to try to explain, giving her a forum, DOOM. It won't happen again by me, I assure you.

Hope, you assured the forum members of the same thing two years ago, don’t you remember? Let’s hope you can keep your word this time.

Hope123 wrote:
BTW, there is no such thing as being "judgemental" (sic).

Where, in Burlington?

being judgemental


D00M
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 3:24:34 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/24/2017
Posts: 1,603
Neurons: 7,558
Waste of time...
I'm not a psychiatrist!

Just hope it's the last time I see your posts in my thread because they are "misleading" and will take a lot of effort and energy to deal with, but to no avail.


The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
Helenej
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 4:31:38 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
D00M wrote:
I'm not a psychiatrist!

Presto! Everything is going as I expected. The last argument of those whose mind is blank when it comes to his opponent’s simple questions and remarks.

Hope123 would definitely call this “ad hominem attack unwelcomed on the forum”.

But I forgive you. It’s probably common in your circle.


D00M wrote:
Just hope it's the last time I see your posts in my thread.

Don’t even hope. I love hair triggers. They make me laugh.

https://i.gifer.com/4sES.gif

D00M
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 5:30:49 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/24/2017
Posts: 1,603
Neurons: 7,558
Helenej wrote:
D00M wrote:
I'm not a psychiatrist!

Presto! Everything is going as I expected.

Then do what you were expected to do!

The last argument of those whose mind is blank when it comes to his opponent’s simple questions and remarks.

I don't see you as an opponent. Just a pesky kid. It's a shame for me to have such an opponent. You chimed in and left your unsolicited misleading remarks, which all teachers disapproved of.

Hope123 would definitely call this “ad hominem attack unwelcomed on the forum”.

Too late. You shouldn't expect people to be bothered by you and keep their mouth shut.

But I forgive you. It’s probably common in your circle.


It's certainly characteristic of my culture and upbringing to fight back against evil; otherwise, I will be part of evil.

D00M wrote:
Just hope it's the last time I see your posts in my thread.

Don’t even hope. I love hair triggers. They make me laugh.

[color=red]Then I will give you what you deserve and share in your laugh.

https://i.gifer.com/4sES.gif







The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
Helenej
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 6:31:14 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
D00M wrote:
Then do what you were expected to do!

I am doing it. I am curiously watching you getting more and more enraged and more and more personal. It works!

By the way, “you expected”, not “you were expected”. I was talking about my expectations. I’d recommend you to study the Passive Voice once again.


D00M wrote:
I don't see you as an opponent. Just a pesky kid. It's a shame for me to have such an opponent.

You are lying and you know it. If it were a shame for you to have me as an opponent, you wouldn’t have been talking to me for two days in a row.

D00M wrote:
Helenej wrote:
Hope123 would definitely call this “ad hominem attack unwelcomed on the forum”.

Too late. You shouldn't expect people to be bothered by you and keep their mouth shut.

You obviously didn't get what I said. I don’t expect anything from her. I’d recommend you to study the Subjunctive once again.

D00M wrote:
It's certainly characteristic of my culture and upbringing to fight back against evil; otherwise, I will be part of evil.

Oh, your culture. I see. By the way, yesterday I read a book about the culture of a tribe in the Amazon rainforests. They are also afraid to become part of evil if they stop trying to insult others.

D00M wrote:
Then I will give you what you deserve and share in your laugh.

Okay, but make sure you don’t laugh too loudly so that the coconuts won’t fall on your head.Angel

D00M
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 11:46:10 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/24/2017
Posts: 1,603
Neurons: 7,558
Poor creature. You are really disgusting.

I don't regard you as an opponent, but won't allow every Tom, Dick, and Harry to leave "misleading comments" and bullshit in my thread, wasting my time and energy.

It's not within my interest nor responsibility to teach you English, and of course the structures I use are well above the head of an idiot like you. You should first start from tag questions and conditionals (remember? Boo hoo! ) then learn transitive verbs to understand that they can be made passive.

You are like pests that invite themselves to parties and bother people and everybody hates them. You were actually the only uninvited guest to my thread.

The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
palapaguy
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 12:50:28 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 10/28/2013
Posts: 1,165
Neurons: 10,825
Location: Calabasas, California, United States
D00M wrote:
Poor creature. You are really disgusting.

I don't regard you as an opponent, but won't allow every Tom, Dick, and Harry to leave "misleading comments" and bullshit in my thread, wasting my time and energy.

It's not within my interest nor responsibility to teach you English, and of course the structures I use are well above the head of an idiot like you. You should first start from tag questions and conditionals (remember? Boo hoo! ) then learn transitive verbs to understand that they can be made passive.

You are like pests that invite themselves to parties and bother people and everybody hates them. You were actually the only uninvited guest to my thread.


Please try to ignore the troll. With no audience, it will go away. Thanks.
Helenej
Posted: Sunday, September 30, 2018 3:31:38 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
D00M wrote:
Poor creature. You are really disgusting.
I don't regard you as an opponent, but won't allow every Tom, Dick, and Harry to leave "misleading comments" and bullshit in my thread, wasting my time and energy.
It's not within my interest nor responsibility to teach you English, and of course the structures I use are well above the head of an idiot like you. You should first start from tag questions and conditionals (remember? Boo hoo! ) then learn transitive verbs to understand that they can be made passive.
You are like pests that invite themselves to parties and bother people and everybody hates them. You were actually the only uninvited guest to my thread.

D00M wrote:
It's certainly characteristic of my culture and upbringing bla-bla-bla.

So, how is our patient? Good, everything is going just as I expected, in compliance with the initial diagnosis. Now he is not only enraged. He feels extremely furious and completely pissed off. He can’t control himself and all his culture and upbringing is coming out of his mouth with this flush of consciousness. No doubt his mum brought him up by being his role model. To all appearances, while feeling pissed off herself, she called him ‘creature’, ‘disgusting’, ‘bullshit’, ‘idiot’ and ‘pest’. What an interesting “culture”. It is definitely worth spreading.Whistle

D00M wrote:
I... won't allow every Tom, Dick, and Harry to leave "misleading comments" and bullshit in my thread, wasting my time and energy.

Those dreams. As you can see, I am still making you waste your time and energy. You are even spending your precious time and energy making plans for my future education. I really appreciate it. Try to make the plan more elaborated and don't forget about the schedule.

D00M
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 8:00:15 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/24/2017
Posts: 1,603
Neurons: 7,558
Yes, I learned to spray off annoying pests who try to force themselves and their wrong ideas to other people. My mother taught me to kick disgusting people out and praise respectable people. She taught me to fight back savage dogs.

I'm not interested in insulting anyone's mother, so I don't throw offensive words at your mom; my mother taught me so!

For me to stand my ground and stand against evil is the most effective means of spending my time. Don't worry, I'm on the right path and enjoy it; that's a valuable help to other members who wanted to hit their heads against brick walls instead of arguing with you and your misleading words and your argumentative nature. Dancing Dancing Dancing






The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
BobShilling
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 10:41:14 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/1/2018
Posts: 540
Neurons: 3,447
Location: Beroun, Stredocesky, Czech Republic
Helenej wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
Sorry I continued with reason to try to explain, giving her a forum, DOOM. It won't happen again by me, I assure you.

Hope, you assured the forum members of the same thing two years ago, don’t you remember? Let’s hope you can keep your word this time.



After one particularly unpleasant thread some time ago, I decided not to bother responding to your questions, helenej. However, I forgot in time, and started responding again. I'll do my best not to waste my time on your questions in the future.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 11:35:56 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/23/2015
Posts: 8,257
Neurons: 47,467
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
BobShilling wrote:
Helenej wrote:
Hope123 wrote:
Sorry I continued with reason to try to explain, giving her a forum, DOOM. It won't happen again by me, I assure you.

Hope, you assured the forum members of the same thing two years ago, don’t you remember? Let’s hope you can keep your word this time.



After one particularly unpleasant thread some time ago, I decided not to bother responding to your questions, helenej. However, I forgot in time, and started responding again. I'll do my best not to waste my time on your questions in the future.


Me too. Forgot it was she. But that is what I meant here, Bob, that I won't forget and respond again.

All this tempest in a teapot over a vocabulary/grammar question! Being assertive (good) is different from being aggressive (does not endear one to others nor get their help) (Old-timers - shades of Julya?)

Elitism is the slur directed at merit by mediocrity. -Sydney J. Harris, journalist (14 Sep 1917-1986)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 11:46:24 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 30,133
Neurons: 176,593
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
The argument is the same - "It's that way in Russian, so it must be the same in English" and the quoting of selected phrases out of context.

However, Julya lives in St Petersburg.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
Helenej
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 3:43:16 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
BobShilling wrote:
After one particularly unpleasant thread some time ago, I decided not to bother responding to your questions, helenej. However, I forgot in time, and started responding again. I'll do my best not to waste my time on your questions in the future.

I’m very sorry for your bad memory, Bob. It must be in a really bad condition taking into account that you even forgot that I didn’t ask any questions, except rhytorical ones, to anyone on this thread, not to mention you.
Helenej
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 3:48:51 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
Hope123 wrote:
Me too. Forgot it was she. But that is what I meant here, Bob, that I won't forget and respond again.

Another forgetful person. Anyway, that’s a good idea, Hope. I’ll highly appreciate it if you will keep this solemn vow. I hope you kept your hand on the Bible while taking your oath so that God would fortify your poor memory. However, if God doesn’t help you, let me recommend you a good link.
https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/fortifying-your-memory-with-supplements
BobShilling
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 4:04:57 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/1/2018
Posts: 540
Neurons: 3,447
Location: Beroun, Stredocesky, Czech Republic
Helenej wrote:
you even forgot that I didn’t ask any questions, except rhytorical ones, to anyone on this thread, not to mention you.


Have a nice day.
Helenej
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 4:36:57 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
D00M wrote:
I learned to spray off annoying pests.

If “the annoying pest” is me, then you are bragging in vain. I am still here and I am still making you feel enraged and pissed off, waste your precious time and energy, although you swore yesterday not to let me do it anymore.

D00M wrote:
My mother taught me to ... to fight back savage dogs.

What a coincidence! The tribe from the Amazon that I mentioned the other day also lives among savage dogs. And there is even a story in the book about a woman who was teaching her son to kick the dogs back. A very exciting story although most of the time they both had to run away and were often bitten by the dogs, you know, all those bleeding wounds with fangs in the flesh, screaming, yelling and squealing, that sort of things. I could lend you the book for a couple of days if you wish. It might appear useful to you and you mom.

D00M wrote:
For me to stand my ground and stand against evil is the most effective means of spending my time.

Yesterday you swore that you won’t allow me to waste your precious time and energy. It’s probably your mom who taught her son to change his opinions like socks. She must believe this feature is respectable in a man.

Helenej
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 4:39:39 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
BobShilling wrote:
Have a nice day.

Same to you.
Helenej
Posted: Monday, October 1, 2018 5:39:30 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/24/2013
Posts: 2,117
Neurons: 10,379
Location: Kiev, Kyiv City, Ukraine
Drag0nspeaker wrote:
The argument is the same - "It's that way in Russian, so it must be the same in English".

It’s funny, an hour ago I would bet that you are the kind of person that would never go down for distorting others’ words regardless of your objectives.
D00M
Posted: Tuesday, October 2, 2018 1:38:56 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/24/2017
Posts: 1,603
Neurons: 7,558
Even didn't bother reading your post. You can hang yourself now from the ceiling of this thread.

Have a good one. Boo hoo!

The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.

Main Forum RSS : RSS
Forum Terms and Guidelines | Privacy policy | Copyright © 2008-2018 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.