The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Oh, be humble, my brother, in your prosperity! Be gentle with those who are less lucky, if not more deserving. Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 75,597
Oh, be humble, my brother, in your prosperity! Be gentle with those who are less lucky, if not more deserving.

William Makepeace Thackeray (1811-1863)
KSPavan
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 3:35:33 AM

Neurons: 2,641,855
Quotation of the Day

Oh, be humble, my brother, in your prosperity! Be gentle with those who are less lucky, if not more deserving.

Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 5:22:06 AM

Neurons: 190,531
Daemon wrote:

Yeah. These millionaires are less lucky than those billionaires - but how much exactly? Anyway. Indeed. Be humble. In the worst case, fake it.
monamagda
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 7:28:26 AM

Neurons: 4,643,523

Context from:Vanity Fair

57 Eothen

Some such boons as these were the best which Fortune allotted to poor little Amelia. Her life, begun not unprosperously, had come down to this--to a mean prison and a long, ignoble bondage. Little George visited her captivity sometimes and consoled it with feeble gleams of encouragement. Russell Square was the boundary of her prison: she might walk thither occasionally, but was always back to sleep in her cell at night; to perform cheerless duties; to watch by thankless sick-beds; to suffer the harassment and tyranny of querulous disappointed old age. How many thousands of people are there, women for the most part, who are doomed to endure this long slavery?--who are hospital nurses without wages--sisters of Charity, if you like, without the romance and the sentiment of sacrifice--who strive, fast, watch, and suffer, unpitied, and fade away ignobly and unknown.

The hidden and awful Wisdom which apportions the destinies of mankind is pleased so to humiliate and cast down the tender, good, and wise, and to set up the selfish, the foolish, or the wicked. Oh, be humble, my brother, in your prosperity! Be gentle with those who are less lucky, if not more deserving. Think, what right have you to be scornful, whose virtue is a deficiency of temptation, whose success may be a chance, whose rank may be an ancestor's accident, whose prosperity is very likely a satire.

They buried Amelia's mother in the churchyard at Brompton, upon just such a rainy, dark day as Amelia recollected when first she had been there to marry George. Her little boy sat by her side in pompous new sables. She remembered the old pew-woman and clerk. Her thoughts were away in other times as the parson read. But that she held George's hand in her own, perhaps she would have liked to change places with.... Then, as usual, she felt ashamed of her selfish thoughts and prayed inwardly to be strengthened to do her duty.

Read more:http://www.literaturepage.com/read/vanity-fair-668.html

Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 9:31:28 AM

Neurons: 471,247
coag
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 11:00:47 AM

Neurons: 5,658
‘Whenever you feel like criticizing any one,’ he told me, ‘just remember that all the people in this world haven’t had
the advantages that you’ve had.’ (F.S.F.)
renee talley 1
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 2:41:44 PM

Neurons: 2,403
Speak to the hand Anxious Think Pray Who is less lucky more deserving to reach their potential be treated as equal but as the same time be humble my brother and down t earth in your years when your are prosperous1Whistle Think Silenced Applause
dave argo
Posted: Friday, September 21, 2018 3:05:54 PM

Neurons: 65,006
Daemon wrote:

Oh, William Makepeace Thackeray!
Be gentle with those less lucky
to be quoted at Quote of the Day.
Be humble my brother!Prospering?
Others less lucky to be so cocky
aren't they the more deserving?