The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

FYI - The Brain Is the Last Frontier Options
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 2:24:22 PM

Neurons: 48,082
This 17:49 minute video of Dan Rather interviewing Eric Kandel about the brain and mind, shows that we are stuck in certain fields that study the brain. There are no new ideas about depression or schizophrenia since the sixties for instance. How does meditation or hypnosis work? Pain comes from the brain and chronic pain is a big problem that costs a lot, so research is definitely needed there.

There are no new startling revelations; it is just an interesting video for anyone interested in the brain and mind and who has the time to watch it. I was thinking of you Epi, but I know how busy you are. Kandel is just fun to listen to - he'll have us all calling our brains a squash.

https://youtu.be/oJoKlY5ndOI

Eric Kandel - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Kandel

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
Epiphileon
Posted: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 4:12:04 AM

Neurons: 88,129
High Hope, Sorry I missed this when you posted it and I am very glad I happened to notice it today.
So far my favorite statement he has made is, "An analyst should at least know something about the brain."
That is exactly how I went from an experimental psychology to a behavioral neuroscience, major.
I enjoyed this video very much and hope to get back to some of the points he raised.

Question authority. How do you know, that you know, what you know?