The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Eye read Options
D00M
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 11:45:59 AM

Neurons: 7,645
Hello respected teachers,

Is "eye read" an idiom in the following?

Sore throat is usually common and most of us experience it at some point of the time. It may follow a cold or may also be followed by a cold, cough or any infection in the chest. To know about how long sore throat take to heal and also about some of the ways to get rid of it naturally; all you need is go through an eye read on this article.

The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 11:56:02 AM

Neurons: 51,343
D00M wrote:
Hello respected teachers,

Is "eye read" an idiom in the following?

Sore throat is usually common and most of us experience it at some point of the time. It may follow a cold or may also be followed by a cold, cough or any infection in the chest. To know about how long sore throat take to heal and also about some of the ways to get rid of it naturally; all you need is go through an eye read on this article.

No, this is not a common idiom. I've never heard it before, and it sounds silly to me. The whole article sounds like it was written by someone who is not a native English speaker. There are too many small mistakes.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
thar
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 12:45:00 PM

Neurons: 73,098
That is being generous. There are lots of big mistakes!
Ignore it in terms of the language use. That particular part has probably been translated from some idiom in another language, and the rest is just wrong.
coag
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 1:31:27 PM

Neurons: 5,838
FounDit wrote:
No, this is not a common idiom. I've never heard it before, and it sounds silly to me. The whole article sounds like it was written by someone who is not a native English speaker. There are too many small mistakes.

(my emphasis added)

Would FounDit's text sound unnatural, to native speakers, if I substituted the emphasized fragment with one of the following fragments
1. I never heard it before
2. I'd never heard it before
thar
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 1:45:09 PM

Yes, because this is not an event from some point in the past- it is the time all the way up to the present.

And there is no justification for the past perfect - hearing it this time is really the present, not a past event.

So both feel odd. The present perfect is most natural.
This is the first time I have ever seen it.
I have never seen it before.

At any time, right up to the present. (Hearing it this time doesn't count - that is the present encounter).
coag
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 4:14:24 PM

Neurons: 5,838
Thanks, thar, for your response.
thar
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 4:23:12 PM

I can't speak for all speakers or dialects, of course. Just my standard BrE.
Colloquially, you would often answer a question like this by missing out both the subject and auxiliary
- never heard of it.

And you might hear something that sounds like 'ahnever', but I suspect that would be because the 've' is so breathy it almost disappears - but it is there, even if only in spirit. Whistle
NKM
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 6:32:01 PM

Neurons: 275,696
Certainly, just "Never heard of it!" would be very common and universally accepted in American English.

D00M
Posted: Monday, September 17, 2018 12:52:46 AM

Neurons: 7,645
Think Think Think

The custom of speaking is the original and only just standard of any language. Joseph Priestly- Rudiments of EG, 1761.