The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Pls explain a bold sentence. Options
QP
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 5:45:29 AM

Neurons: 6,976
Hi friends,

I don't understand the bold sentence below, could you please help to explain.

It was lunchtime, and walking down the hall in the long-term-care wing at the nursing home was like running a wheelchair gauntlet.

I have checked the meaning of gauntlet in dictionaries, but still get confused when applying with the above sentence.

Thanks
QP
thar
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 5:50:15 AM

Neurons: 73,071
This is an idiom

run the gauntlet

you can look that one up, but here is one description

Quote:
To run the gauntlet is to take part in a form of corporal punishment in which the party judged guilty is forced to run between two rows of soldiers who strike out and attack them.

And, since the corridor was in a nursing home, the danger was in getting safely through the wheelchairs without being run over.

So, walking along that corridor was like running a wheelchair gauntlet.

It has nothing to do with gauntlets. That is just the way the word ended up.

Quote:
This term, dating from the first half of the 1600s, comes from the word gantlope, which itself comes from the Swedish word gatlopp, for “lane-course.” It referred to a form of military punishment where a man ran between two rows of soldiers who struck him with sticks or knotted ropes.
QP
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 9:24:50 AM

Neurons: 6,976
Thank you. It's clear, now.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 10:35:21 AM

Neurons: 45,422
QP,

When I read your topic heading I had to grin.

Because we put adjectives before nouns I read the "bold" as an adjective: - brave in the face of danger; without fear; dauntless.

"Wow" I thought, "This is going to be the sentence of the century!"Dancing "It'll be fearless and brave and put all other sentences to shame!"Applause Liar

Of course I'm only joking - I knew exactly what you meant once I had read your question. And obviously so did everyone else.

But I think we tend to say "...the sentence in bold." simply to make it clearer which meaning of bold we are using!Dancing