The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Bear-Baiting Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 76,458
Bear-Baiting

Popular in England until the 19th century, bear-baiting is a blood sport in which trained dogs are set upon a chained bear. Bear gardens, arenas where bears were exhibited and bear-baiting events were held, consisted of a circular, high walled area—called the "pit"—and raised seating for spectators. Said to have been favored by monarchs like Henry VIII and Elizabeth I, the sport was eventually outlawed due to its cruelty. In what other places has bear baiting been popular? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 2:38:05 AM

Neurons: 2,701,154
Article of the Day
Bear-Baiting
Popular in England until the 19th century, bear-baiting is a blood sport in which trained dogs are set upon a chained bear. Bear gardens, arenas where bears were exhibited and bear-baiting events were held, consisted of a circular, high walled area—called the "pit"—and raised seating for spectators. Said to have been favored by monarchs like Henry VIII and Elizabeth I, the sport was eventually outlawed due to its cruelty.
KSPavan
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 2:38:05 AM

Neurons: 2,701,154
Article of the Day
Bear-Baiting
Popular in England until the 19th century, bear-baiting is a blood sport in which trained dogs are set upon a chained bear. Bear gardens, arenas where bears were exhibited and bear-baiting events were held, consisted of a circular, high walled area—called the "pit"—and raised seating for spectators. Said to have been favored by monarchs like Henry VIII and Elizabeth I, the sport was eventually outlawed due to its cruelty.
Wilmar (USA)
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 4:41:56 PM

Neurons: 494,153
Absolutely disgusting.
coag
Posted: Sunday, September 16, 2018 8:09:15 PM

Neurons: 5,838
Wilmar (USA) wrote:
Absolutely disgusting.

I agree. Who coul watch something like that?

People can be so cruel. I remember when I read about the killing of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia and his family, by Bolsheviks. That new rulers kill the old ruler, that's not unusual. That they kill their spouses, that, too, is not unusual. But why they killed Tsar Nicholas' children-- the youngest child was age 13. I've always thought that was cruel.

Some time ago I read about executing people in the brazen bull. What a horrific execution.