The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

agreed on Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:01:06 AM

Neurons: 17,800
Malay Mail understands that a single seat has already been confirmed, and that Anwar has agreed on it and given specific instructions for the announcement tomorrow, to be made by PKR secretary-general Datuk Saifuddin Nasution Ismail.

Is 'agree on' the correct phrase?

Thanks.
towan52
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 10:38:57 AM

Neurons: 183,490
There are times when "agreed on" would be correct, but (IMO) not in this case. "Agreed to" would be more appropriate.

"Today I was a hero. I rescued some beer that was trapped in a bottle"
Koh Elaine
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 12:30:21 PM

Neurons: 17,800
towan52 wrote:
There are times when "agreed on" would be correct, but (IMO) not in this case. "Agreed to" would be more appropriate.
Thanks.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 12:34:15 PM

Neurons: 73,101
One side can agree to something - 'yes, I will do what you want'.

But it takes both sides to agree on something - 'we both agree that we will do it this way'.

renee talley 1
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 9:59:53 PM

Neurons: 2,729
Shhh Pray Malay Mail conformed one seat agreed upon unanimously ; which has been upon. Simple instructions will help our visitor to relax & remain focused. the announcement presented by PKR secretary general Datuk Saifuddin Nasution Isnril.Applause Applause Applause Speak to the hand
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 2:32:00 AM

Neurons: 179,538
Actually, in this case, I think it should be "agreed" - not "agreed to", "agreed upon" or "agreed on".

Anwar would not need to agree to the seat being confirmed. That occurs naturally when all the votes are counted, whether he likes it or not.

Normal uses, as I know them . . .

We are discussing which seat I should use on the train. We agree on a specific one. (Or we agree upon a specific one).

We are discussing which seat I should use on the train. You suggest a specific one - I agree to it. Or I agree to use that one.

We are discussing the results of an election - we agree that only one seat is confirmed so far.

Malay Mail understands that a single seat (on the government/in Parliament) has already been confirmed, and
(Malay Mail understands) that Anwar has agreed (that it has been confirmed), and
(Malay Mail understands that Anwar) has given specific instructions for the announcement tomorrow, to be made by PKR secretary-general Datuk Saifuddin Nasution Ismail.

Malay Mail understands that a single seat has already been confirmed, and that Anwar has agreed, and has given specific instructions for the announcement tomorrow, to be made by PKR secretary-general Datuk Saifuddin Nasution Ismail.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
IMcRout
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:21:23 AM

Neurons: 563,379
Shouldn't it rather be 'accepted' that seat?
Does one really agree to / on a (parliamentary) seat or any political office?
In my understanding you either accept it or decline the offer.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:33:41 AM

I don't really know the politics of it all.

I did not think that Anwar was accepting the office in that seat.

My thought was that he is the leader of the People's Party - he must already have a seat somewhere.

One seat has been confirmed (the election results are finalised for that one seat) but not the others.
Anwar has agreed that the results are in for that one seat. He is not disagreeing with the fact that the result are in, and he has arranged for the result to be announced tomorrow.

ozok
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 8:35:17 AM

Neurons: 778

Guessing: There is little context here, but I think the 'seat' is a place or district rather than a actual parliament chair for someone to sit on.

ps. I try to avoid politics, but through TFD I am now up to speed with Malaysian politics.

just sayin'
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 10:11:06 AM

ozok wrote:
I think the 'seat' is a place or district rather than a actual parliament chair for someone to sit on.
ps. I try to avoid politics, but through TFD I am now up to speed with Malaysian politics

That was my guess. "Seat" = one member in Parliament, and the constituency (district/area) he/she represents.