The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Germany Invades Poland (1939) Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 86,253
Germany Invades Poland (1939)

After staging Polish attacks on German forces to create the appearance of Polish aggression, Germany invaded Poland, beginning WWII. Britain and France declared war on Germany two days later, and all the members of the Commonwealth of Nations, with the exception of Ireland, rapidly followed suit. The German blitzkrieg crushed the Polish defenses. Within a month all of Poland was occupied by German forces as well as the forces of what state with whom Germany had just signed a non-aggression pact? More...
Christine
Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2011 10:28:40 AM

Neurons: 15,842

Expulsion from Reichsgau Wartheland.

Sad history of our world.

I am carrying my heart~I am carrying my rhythm~I am carrying my prayers~But you can't kill my spirit~It's soaring and strong (Paula Cole's Me Lyrics)***We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We ARE spirtual beings having a human experience.(T.deChardin)***There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. (Albert Einstein)

pedro
Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2011 10:35:59 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Germany Invades Poland

Oh not again!

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
IMcRout
Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:03:57 AM

Neurons: 563,379
Calm down, Pedro, they're tourists this time. Although ...

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
intelfam
Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2011 11:52:41 AM

Neurons: 3,284
IMcRout wrote:
Calm down, Pedro, they're tourists this time. Although ...

Well, at least last time people could get a deckchair ....

"The voice of the majority is no proof of justice." - Schiller
jcbarros
Posted: Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:36:08 PM

Neurons: 9,052
Are they playing The ride of the Walkyries again?
excaelis
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2011 4:41:08 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Three Reichs and you're out.

Sanity is not statistical
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2011 6:17:12 PM

Neurons: 9,763
excaelis wrote:
Three Reichs and you're out.

Well, Adolph was a foul ball, so they may still be at bat...was that a twinkle I saw in Mr. IMcRout's eye when the subject of Poland came up?

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)
IMcRout
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2011 7:55:51 PM

Ex and HW, you're probably well-meaning but comparing Hitler's campaigns to baseball seems grossly inappropriate to me.
But I suppose humour is sometimes a good way to cope with the inconceivable.

Contemporary Germany is definitely very much 'at bat'. What has changed, however, are the rules, the coaches, the players and the ball park. And the away-games have been much friendlier, too, lately.

As to the twinkle HW wants to have detected; I wasn't aware of twinkling but subconsciously I may have shown that I like Poland as a country and also its people, and it is only about 170 miles away.
Reason enough for a twinkle.

The 'Although...' alluded to the fact that tourism can be very invasive as well. I only know about the 'deckchair problem' from the tabloids in the UK and Germany. I suspect a secret agreement between the owners in order to keep up sales.

Finally, jc, the Wagner theme was taken up by Coppola in 'Apocalypse Now'. I don't remember reading about it in connection with any Nazi invasions.

I totally take back all those times I didn't want to nap when I was younger. (Anon)
excaelis
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2011 8:52:26 PM

Neurons: 32,652
IMac, neither comparison nor offence was intended, merely wordplay based in the banality of evil. When we ridicule our demons perhaps the dark becomes a little less scary.

In his book ' Three Men on the Bummel ' ( written around the turn of the 20th century ) Jerome k Jerome lightheartedly described the central feature of the German character as "...blind obedience to anything in buttons." Humorous, yes, but in light of subsequent events not so much.

Sanity is not statistical
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2011 9:26:20 PM

Neurons: 9,763
The goal was entirely humor. No offense intended as Ex said. I apologize if I gave offense in any way IMc.

The goal of the humor was cameraderie, not to trivialize past evils, nor to impugn the huge progress that Germany and the German people have made. I guess I felt that since you and today's Germany had absolutely nothing in common with those past evil days and evil men, that the humor would not be harmful. In that manner, it was actually a compliment.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless, and do no wrong". (Knight's Oath, Kingdom of Heaven)
IMcRout
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2011 11:44:23 PM

Guys, don't get me wrong. I was not offended in the least by your remarks and I daresay I understood and, yes, quietly appreciated, the humour behind your posts quite well.

I only wanted to curb your enthusiasm a little and try to stop you from getting carried away. (Definitely something I am in need of at times, as you may have noticed.)

It's a sore point with some of us 'younger' Germans, who, although not guilty of our forefathers' crimes, feel responsible for at least keeping the memory alive and doing our best not to let something like this happen again.

I suppose it is mainly the respect I feel for the millions of victims that keeps me from feeling at ease in situations like ours here.

Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Wednesday, September 7, 2011 12:26:59 AM

Neurons: 4,678
http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i402/marissalafayeisolde/?action=view&current=Belsen01.jpg "/>