The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion. Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 85,557
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
kitten
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 2:07:08 AM

Neurons: 7,420
Daemon wrote:
A little philosophy inclineth man's mind to atheism, but depth in philosophy bringeth men's minds about to religion.

Francis Bacon (1561-1626)

Wikiquotes sites the above quote as an 'unsourced' one by Francis Bacon. However, a little more checking and it seems to come from Essays, Civil and Moral, Chapter 16--Of Atheism.

I HAD rather believe all the fables in the Legend, and the Talmud, and the Alcoran than that this universal frame is without a mind. And therefore God never wrought miracle to convince atheism, because his ordinary works convince it. It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men’s minds about to religion. For while the mind of man looketh upon second causes scattered, it may sometimes rest in them, and go no further; but when it beholdeth the chain of them, confederate and linked together, it must needs fly to Providence and Deity.

Of Atheism

Please thank wikiquote for the unsourced comment and http://www.bartleby.com for the comeplete quote in context.

peace out, >^,,^<

The poor object to being governed badly, whilst the rich object to being governed at all. G.K. Chesterton
MTC
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 3:47:39 AM

Neurons: 8,606
When Bacon says, "the chain of them,(causes) confederate and linked together," he is alluding to the "First Cause" argument for the existence of God, and perhaps also to "The Great Chain of Being."
pedro
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:39:54 AM

Neurons: 63,022
The arguments go back to Aquinas

http://www.mnstate.edu/gracyk/courses/web%20publishing/aquinasfiveways_argumentanalysis.htm

You can summarise these as
1. First Mover
2. First Cause
3. Necessary Being
4. Greatest Being
5. Intelligent Designer

There is interesting discussion of these on the link below. Some are attributable to erroneous Aristotelian understanding of Physics. You can judge for yourself.

http://www.devilsdictionarydefiled.com/Essays/AquinasProofGod.html

All good ideas arrive by chance- Max Ernst
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 8:11:47 AM

Neurons: 4,678
It is frightening to think of a world without God--even more so to think of a world with mankind at the helm of the ship.
jcbarros
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 11:18:07 AM

Neurons: 9,052
Why cannot the man stands his loneliness, his mortality, that he is part of nature and nothing more than that?
rhaw5n
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 5:12:25 PM

Neurons: 3
We could all be better off with a little less "Bacon."
combo
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 6:12:15 PM

Neurons: 3
rhaw5n wrote:
We could all be better off with a little less "Bacon."

You can bet this is the last time you will be quoted with lame one liners like that
floyd
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 10:22:05 PM

Neurons: 411
When I read the paragraph putting Bacon's thought into context, I marveled at both the complex thought and the wonderful "turn of phrase" that conveys it. Isn't each of the four sentences a jewel?

I also marvel at how cosmopolitan the world has become, and what riches are available to us. Bacon speaks of two choices: atheism and religion. I grew up in a Christian church and rejected it, yet I don't ascribe to atheism.

Instead, I am learning mindfulness meditation from the Mahamudra Buddhist tradition. As I've learned it, it is neither a religion nor atheism, even though meditation's enlightenment seems very close to the God of Christianity, and meditation's opening of the heart is almost impossible for me to distinguish from Jesus' teachings about loving our neighbors.

This, friends, has changed my life; and I thank great thinkers like Francis Bacon for leading the way out of our culture's dark ages.

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
Marissa La Faye Isolde
Posted: Friday, September 2, 2011 12:23:14 AM

Neurons: 4,678
To Floyd:

Without God at the center,the hub of the wheel, we are fragments flying into space, a yawning abyss, in which we, as isolated particles, drift and are lost without meaning.

I agree. We are in a dark age, spiraling into the vast and expanding night with out a point of reference.

Let us listen to the voices of great men calling to us, calling to us inside, calling us back into a cohesive whole.