The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

in/with/for Options
Carmenex
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 11:28:42 AM

Neurons: 5,254
Hi, I would please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following:
She believes that working as an engineer in/with/for a major engineering consultancy would afford her the opportunity to combine her background in process engineering with her interest in consulting/(the consulting sector).
And:
This work involved solving issues (associated with)/(related to) materials design, selection and characterisation with a strong (a possible synonym of strong?) focus on the/their physical properties (mainly electrical and thermal properties)/physical (mainly electrical and thermal) properties.
FounDit
Posted: Monday, July 30, 2018 11:50:30 AM

Neurons: 50,158
Carmenex wrote:
Hi, I would please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following:
One alternative:

She believes that working as an engineer for a major engineering consultancy would afford her the opportunity to combine her background in process engineering with her interest in consulting.
And:
This work involved solving issues (associated with)/(related to)(either one will work. I tend to go with "associated with") materials design, selection and characterisation with a strong focus (an emphasis) on their physical properties (mainly electrical and thermal).

Or this one, perhaps:

This work involved solving issues (associated with)/(related to)(either one will work. I tend to go with "associated with") materials design, selection and characterisation with a strong focus (an emphasis) on their electrical and thermal properties.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Carmenex
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 8:11:03 AM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
One alternative:

She believes that working as an engineer for a major engineering consultancy would afford her the opportunity to combine her background in process engineering with her interest in consulting.
And:
This work involved solving issues (associated with)/(related to)(either one will work. I tend to go with "associated with") materials design, selection and characterisation with a strong focus (an emphasis) on their physical properties (mainly electrical and thermal).

Or this one, perhaps:

This work involved solving issues (associated with)/(related to)(either one will work. I tend to go with "associated with") materials design, selection and characterisation with a strong focus (an emphasis) on their electrical and thermal properties.

Hi FounDit, and thank you for your suggestions. Only a question: I meant to ask a possible synonym for strong before focus (or emphasis)?
I would also please to ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following:
In the course of her academic and professional career, she has (engaged)/(been engaged)/(been involved) in optimizing the production processes of a diverse class/diverse classes of materials, including polymers and composites, as well as superconducting and semiconducting materials, and (in?) characterizing their physical properties and chemical composition.

FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, August 1, 2018 11:49:13 PM

Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:
One alternative:

And:

Or this one, perhaps:

Hi FounDit, and thank you for your suggestions. Only a question: I meant to ask a possible synonym for strong before focus (or emphasis)?
In this case, it would be difficult to find a better word than "strong" for "focus".

I would also please to ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following:
I would choose this:

In the course of her academic and professional career, she has been engaged in optimizing the production processes of diverse classes of materials, including polymers and composites, as well as superconducting and semiconducting materials, and in characterizing their physical properties and chemical composition.

We should look to the past to learn from it, not destroy our future because of it — FounDit
Carmenex
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 8:43:50 AM

Hi FounDit, I would please ask you in which bullet point you would include the expression in bold, and if it is correct:
• hard-working, detail oriented, showing perseverance and able to prioritize my workload
demonstrate/show perseverance and demonstrate initiative and adaptability even in unfamiliar (or new?) situations

FounDit
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2018 12:41:24 PM

Carmenex wrote:
Hi FounDit, I would please ask you in which bullet point you would include the expression in bold, and if it is correct:
In the first, I think "persevering" works well.

In the second, I would choose "demonstrate" or "demonstrating" depending on which form you want to emphasize, and I like "unfamiliar" the best, but both could work.

• hard-working, detail oriented, persevering and able to prioritize my workload
demonstrate/show perseverance and demonstrate initiative and adaptability even in unfamiliar (or new?) situations

Carmenex
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 9:38:57 AM

FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

In the second, I would choose "demonstrate" or "demonstrating" depending on which form you want to emphasize, and I like "unfamiliar" the best, but both could work.

Thank you, FounDit, for your suggestions. And, in your opinion, would it be better to include persevering as in:
or, perseverance as in:
demonstrate perseverance, initiative and adaptability even in unfamiliar situations

I would also please ask you which of the following options is more appropriate, or would you suggest a different phrasing (do you think that it is superfluous to include both communication and negotiating skills since there is an overlap between their meanings?):
• developed communication, leadership, and negotiating skills
• developed leadership, communication, and negotiating skills
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2018 12:21:38 PM

Carmenex wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Carmenex wrote:

Thank you, FounDit, for your suggestions. And, in your opinion, would it be better to include persevering as in:
or, perseverance as in:
demonstrate perseverance, initiative and adaptability even in unfamiliar situations
Choosing between these two, I would use the first one:

It is brief, concise, and creates a strong impact in my opinion.

I would also please ask you which of the following options is more appropriate, or would you suggest a different phrasing (do you think that it is superfluous to include both communication and negotiating skills since there is an overlap between their meanings?):
• developed communication, leadership, and negotiating skills
• developed leadership, communication, and negotiating skills
I see no problem with including both words since many people can communicate, but not everyone can negotiate well.

Of the two, I like the first one better because the skills listed create the idea of building one upon the other to form an admirable foundation of skills.

Carmenex
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 12:28:13 PM

Hi FounDit, I would like to please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following sentence:
She is interested in pursuing a career in X because doing so would allow her to work in a role which, along with a/the quantitative component, includes/entails other aspects such as interacting and negotiating with clients, making presentations to them, also keeping up-to-date with the changes in the (insurance sector legislation)/(legislation related to the insurance sector), etc.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 1:16:03 PM

Neurons: 174,377
HI.

I missed the earlier bits of this thread, and haven't had a chance to catch up.

However, this (long) sentence is good from my first view.

I would use "a quantitative component" and "entails".

I prefer "legislation related to the insurance sector", even though it's a little longer.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 2:09:22 PM

Carmenex wrote:
Hi FounDit, I would like to please ask you if the expressions in bold are correct in the following sentence:
I find the sentence confusing and incomplete.

As I read it, she wants to pursue a career in X which, along with [opportunities listed], (provides her with what?) It seems to me that the part included in the "along with" is the list of opportunities provided. I would word it something like this:

She is interested in pursuing a career in X because it would allow her to work in a role which includes such aspects as interacting and negotiating with clients, making presentations to them, and keeping up-to-date with the changes in legislation related to the insurance sector.

She is interested in pursuing a career in X because doing so would allow her to work in a role which, along with a/the quantitative component, includes/entails other aspects such as interacting and negotiating with clients, making presentations to them, also keeping up-to-date with the changes in the (insurance sector legislation)/(legislation related to the insurance sector), etc.

Carmenex
Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 8:15:12 PM

Hi Drag0nspeaker and FounDit, and thank you for your suggestions.
With along with a/the quantitative component, I meant the quantitative aspects of the job such as developing financial models, ... which are different from those indicated after includes/entails. What expression would you use if you want to avoid repeating aspect?
Shouldn't it be ... the changes in the legislation related to the insurance sector.?
Carmenex
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:00:52 AM

Hi Drag0nspeaker and FounDit, and thank you for your suggestions.
With along with a/the quantitative component, I meant the quantitative aspects of the job such as developing financial models, ... which are different from those indicated after includes/entails. What expression would you use if you want to express that while avoiding repeating aspect?
Shouldn't it be ... the changes in the legislation related to the insurance sector.?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2018 7:10:35 AM

Neurons: 174,377
I think not.

There is a huge amount of legislation related to insurance.
This is related to changes in some of it. Different changes which occur at different times in various bits of the body of data known as 'insurance law' ('insurance legislation').

It is indefinite - not one specific change or several specific changes - so it cannot use "the".
It is not singular 0 so it cannot use 'a'.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!