The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Do You Know about Lunar Eclipse?#56 Options
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2018 12:20:44 PM

Neurons: 74,278
It's going to be Lunar eclipse tonight, starting after about two hrs and four mins from now. The eclipsed moon will be visible in many countries of the world. The moon shines with rays of Sun. It has no source of light of its own. When the Sun, Earth and the Moon while moving on their respective fixed paths, come in a straight line, with earth in the middle, Sun rays get obliterated by earth from reaching the moon as a result that part of the moon looks dark, which is called 'eclipsed moon'. In some parts of the world, it is fully obliterated where it is fully dark for a certain period of time i.e.till the straight line position gets over.

This video explains all.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-enviro

Me Gathering Pebbles at The Seashore.-Aj
papo_308
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2018 2:45:53 PM

Neurons: 23,274
Supposing the sky is not cloudy in the east to south-east, which is unfortunately not the case in my place nowd'oh!

I may have to wait for about another 125 years for an eclipse that longWhistle
TMe
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 1:26:21 PM

Neurons: 4,943
papo_308 wrote;

Supposing the sky is not cloudy in the east to south-east, which is unfortunately not the case in my place nowd'oh!

I may have to wait for about another 125 years for an eclipse that long.

If you are really interested, inquisitive and wanna have knowledge , reach some other city to watch where this beautiful celestial event is visible.

I am a layman.
thar
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2018 5:53:43 PM

Neurons: 72,390
I know those types of diagrams are best for easily showing the ray paths to create a shadow - but they give a complete mispresentation of the sizes and distances involved.

you can't show size and distance together, so

size

distance

All the green dots represent objects that are too small to be seen at this scale.

Very big, but very far away. Any diagram that shows the Sun and Earth in the same diagram is telling little porkies. Whistle
TMe
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 12:51:43 AM

Neurons: 4,943
The thread is not about distances between and sizes of the planets, thar. It is about understanding the phenomenon.

I am a layman.
thar
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 3:59:38 AM

Neurons: 72,390
And if these threads only stuck to the original subject what an incredibly boring place it would be!

The phenomenon has been explained. I have to issue with the content of the thread.
I just feel that the diagrams people always see about eclipses and phases of the moon are problematic. They always said 'not to scale' and people know that - but if you see those diagrams enough times, and never see something showing the real scale, I think people get a wrong idea about the distances and sizes involved.

So I put that in the thread. People are perfectly free to ignore it if they wish. Whistle
Lotje1000
Posted: Friday, August 3, 2018 7:54:19 AM

Neurons: 478,312
Personally, I think explaining the distances between planets and the size of planets helps understand the phenomenon.
Islami
Posted: Sunday, August 5, 2018 5:22:57 AM

Neurons: 696
A structured (graphical) representation of information is closer to the workings of the human brain (structure of neurons) than other ways e.g. notes, highlights main ideas.

Just because the writer of an article is British doesn't mean that they use English correctly-DragOnspeaker.