Sorin F. Ghinescu
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 5:32:23 AM

Neurons: 51,227
I was on my hand
What is the meaning?

example, from the very first episode of Fresh Meat series:

Hello?! Hi.
Hello? I was er um, was on my hand.
What? (CLEARS THROAT) I just haven't spoken to another human being in some time.

Read more: https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=fresh-meat-2011&episode=s01e01
leonAzul
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 7:17:51 AM

Neurons: 30,386
Sorin F. Ghinescu wrote:
I was on my hand
What is the meaning?

example, from the very first episode of Fresh Meat series:

Hello?! Hi.
Hello? I was er um, was on my hand.
What? (CLEARS THROAT) I just haven't spoken to another human being in some time.

Read more: https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=fresh-meat-2011&episode=s01e01

It's intentionally vague in order to suggest multiple funny meanings. There is a more or less common idiom "to sit on one's hands" which means to refrain from action, particularly if it involves some controversy. This phrase also might suggest that the speaker was talking on a hand-held device, sometimes called a "handy". Yet the next line suggests that he might have been interrupted while masturbating.

The rest of the skit continues in the same bawdy tone, sometimes clever, sometimes stupid.

If you genuinely desire to hear how English word-play works, I highly recommend you seek out anything by the "Two Ronnies".

You are welcome.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Saturday, July 21, 2018 7:30:15 AM

Neurons: 10,100
Fresh Meat is a British TV series I have never heard a mobile device called a 'handy' here, so I don't think that comes into it.

It's a about a group of first year university students, known as freshers in their first few weeks (hence the title Fresh Meat) I think leonAzuls suggestion about an allusion to masturbating is quite likely.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2018 11:55:35 AM

Neurons: 51,750
I came across the series on Youtube a couple of months ago and watched it all - loved it. And the thing about it was that the dialogue was so convincing.

Yet, just going through the script on it's own makes it seem daft and disjointed, doesn't it?

And yeah, as this was at the beginning, they were all still using euphemisms. As the series went on they just used the word "wanking" - a notable part of most undergraduates academic careers. So I'd interpret this as one of those early attempts not to come right out and use the W-word.
Sorin F. Ghinescu
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2018 6:00:01 AM

Neurons: 51,227
Thank you guys! Very useful!
Have a good day!