The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Ways Trump Insulted the Queen Exploded on Twitter Options
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2018 1:30:04 PM

Neurons: 47,569
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/twitter-counts-ways-president-trump-insulted-queen-elizabeth/ar-AAA3rcw

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/397024-british-tabloid-hits-trump-for-sitting-in-churchills-chair-how-dare-you

Even non monarchists were ticked. I did notice however that the Queen put out her hand first so I doubt they were still supposed to bow. Anyone?

A NATO rep told him but was ignored that he should treat his allies nicely as he doesn't have many.

And the blimp balloon by protesters in London "was very satisfying", as a friend said to me.

I doubt he'll ever be invited to a State dinner for sure now after the way he interfered in UK business with the motive of trying to break up the EU union, (what happened to his campaign statements about not wanting to be involved in the world?), what he said and tried to unsay the next day about Elizabeth May and any trade agreement between the US and the UK, how he called their newspaper "fake news", attacked London's mayor again, and in the way he disrespected the queen several times, even if unintentional. She has more knowledge, intelligence, diplomacy, loyalty, honesty, and humanity than he could ever hope to achieve even if he had an eternity of financial incentives driving him.

I'm sure the queen is quite used to these delays but I felt sorry for her standing there at 92 waiting and looking at her watch. He was late and left early at the G7 and the NATO convention too. Even organizational problems should have been avoided by allowing extra time to get to the queen on time.

Any Brits have a differing opinion to my Commonwealth one? (I edited a bit to try to give Trump some leeway for the Queen's visit putting some of it down to anxiety and being unfamiliar with protocol.)

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
lazarius
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 7:23:03 AM

Neurons: 98,212
Hope123 wrote:
Even non monarchists were ticked. I did notice however that the Queen put out her hand first so I doubt they were still supposed to bow. Anyone?

I wouldn't expect a bow from the president of a renegade nation. :) I watched the video twice and the way he walks and speaks to the Queen - it's all esteem. And there's nothing wrong in being a little late - he is a guest.

Who's Elizabeth May? Did the witch change her name?

https://www.royal.uk/greeting-member-royal-family

Quote:
There are no obligatory codes of behaviour when meeting The Queen or a member of the Royal Family,

Having quoted that I would certainly bow if I had a chance of meeting the Queen.

Не надо отчаиваться, товарищ.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 8:52:40 AM

Hi Lazarius.

Theresa May.

Goodness knows what I was thinking when I wrote the wrong name. A mix of Queen Elizabeth and Elizabeth May who is the leader of the Green Party of Canada, I guess.

I had not noticed but my husband's comment was that he didn't even bother to button his suit coat. My observation was that when two people are to do something together they are usually aware of where the other one is. He was so in awe he forgot all about her and where she was. She even had to point to where he was to go at first.

The past is to be respected/acknowledged, not worshipped. It is in our future we will find our greatness. Pierre Trudeau
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 9:05:44 AM

Neurons: 6,740
To be absolutely honest we have been far too busy with the hand grenades Mr Trump has been throwing into the Brexit debate to notice protocol breaches.

First a tabloid newspaper say that in an interview he stated that Britain would not get a trade deal with the US if PM Mays plans for Brexit are approved.

The Mr Trump denies says it, so the newspaper releases the recording which includes that statement.

He's praised PM Mays former Foreign Secretary and possible rival Boris Johnson.

Oh but one breach that is important is that he has made comments that suggest he knows the Queens opinion.

I lack the imagination for a witty signature.
Romany
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 12:42:04 PM

Neurons: 44,801
Lazarius -

The operative word in the quote you gave is "obligatory". In days of yore one would have run the risk of having one's head cut off or, more commonly, of being sent to The Tower.

In today's world there is no punishment for for acting like a lout in the presence of the Queen.

However there is still such a thing as good manners and protocol - and no-one comes into the Queens presence ignorant of these. The Palace issues explanations of these codes to everyone: so even those who are are louche enough not to represent their country with dignity can understand what good manners are. Thus, behaving like the gutter-snipe he is, is seen to be deliberate and calculated disrespect.

Also: it's the other way round to us: if you are someone's guest - especially in their own home - you are obliged to them: and that obligation warrants at least basic good manners. Punctuality is not just reserved for the Queen of England - in all diplomatic or even social circumstances lack of punctuality is bad behaviour of the highest order and shows blatant disrespect.

These were part of the reasons people showed up in their thousands to protest. It's why people didn't wanted him to come even close to our Queen. He, and everyone else who is invited to meet her or any monarch, has two choices: they can accept the invitation and the protocol that goes with it. Or they can consider it all an outmoded load of nonsense and decline the invitation.

This hoodlum was desperate to meet her, because he thought it would give him some sort of prestige. Instead it presented him to the world as a complete and utter slob.

None of the rest of the Royals would come within ten feet of him so she had no choice other than to go it alone. So, had she not been the Queen, but your Grandmother or Great-Grandmother, how happy would you be if someone left her standing in the hot sun, dressed in her best as a mark of respect to them, while they flaunted their disrespect to her?

I think most of us would have loved Phil to have been with her: because he wouldn't have have stood for it and would have put him in his place in public!

But we all knew he was not fit to meet her and that he would disgrace himself and his Government so, in a way, breathed a sigh of relief that he didn't act even worse. After all, as Sarries said, we have so much more of his bad behaviour, boorishness, and ignorant meddling to cope with. Not to mention the indignation that our taxes had to be spent on keeping him safe when he finally plucked up enough courage to come to a place he knew he wasn't wanted!
lazarius
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 2:08:21 PM

Neurons: 98,212
Romany wrote:
Also: it's the other way round to us: if you are someone's guest - especially in their own home - you are obliged to them: and that obligation warrants at least basic good manners. Punctuality is not just reserved for the Queen of England - in all diplomatic or even social circumstances lack of punctuality is bad behaviour of the highest order and shows blatant disrespect.

Watching the video I thought it was just a couple of minutes. He must have got caught up in traffic in the alien city. And that sinister way of driving must be stressing to his chauffeur. Couldn't it be those protesters? They must have barricaded the streets.

He may be a lout but I didn't notice a whit of disrespect in his carriage or behaviour.

Не надо отчаиваться, товарищ.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 2:10:07 PM

Sarrri, Trump shows a pattern that he likes to do anti-social disruptive things after being invited into someone else's home. That kind of person never gets a second invite. He was only there because of polite protocol to heads of state and because PM May is after a trade deal.

I nailed it in my OP when I said he is trying to split up the EU by interfering in Brexit and in PM May's government. Today the first name that came to mind when asked about foes of the US was - not Russia after 12 indictments against them - but the EU. Exactly. As well as using division in his own country for political gains, he is trying to divide everybody in the world including the EU with threats while searching for a better deal for the US. He is obsessed with money and often gets an incorrect idea in his head that can never be shaken no matter the facts.

PM May says he told her to sue the EU rather than negotiate with them! And since she didn't, the deal with the US could be off. A threat. His favorite idea of how to negotiate.

Well, guess what. At some point everybody being bullied on a playground gets together and polishes off the bully.

PS - anybody notice that all four men in the Queen's family were not with her? (I know the Duke is not too active these days.) The Queen is a real trooper. That was a long time standing and walking for anyone let alone a 92 year-old. I think being so active is how she keeps young.

"The Prime Minister’s office in Downing Street said that Trump’s trip was not a state visit but a working visit, so Trump had not been scheduled to meet any members of the royal family other than the Queen.

However Trump’s trip, in which he was confined to a half hour tea with the Queen, contrasts with a working trip to the U.K. made by Barack Obama in 2016, when he had lunch with the Queen and Prince Philip and also a private dinner at Kensington Palace with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry...Trump's past behavior may not have enamored the royal family to him, with the then real estate tycoon saying he regretted he never got to date Prince William's mother, Princess Diana, in a 1997 book released after her death, and criticizing Kate Middleton after she was photographed sunbathing topless in 2013." 

Newsweek

Romany, Trump really has no idea of social manners. It's always all about him and his goals, no matter the cost to others. No wonder both old US money and the TV industry reject him and his ostentatiousness. Rejection by many is what gets under his skin so he has to brag all the time.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, July 15, 2018 2:23:24 PM

Lazarius, I get it that travelling around in these visits is hard to program and there may be delays. But he was late to the G7, skipped meetings, and did the same at the NATO meeting. His reputation preceded him.

Yes, I think he did really want to meet her and was in awe. But if the Queen could be down there early to meet him, his planners should have had him there even earlier. Left extra time in case of snags.

Furthermore, it is polite when running late for any party to let the host/hostess know that you ARE running late. And not at the time but BEFORE the scheduled time - at the time when you realize you're going to be late. The Queen didn't know or she wouldn't have been looking at her watch. She could have even adjusted her arrival time if she'd known.

In this day and age of communication there was no excuse for not notifying them of a ten minute delay. We know he has a phone. Whistle

TMe
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 12:29:29 AM

Neurons: 4,943
In the video, Her Highness is magnanimous. Trump walked carelessly, nonchalantly and loosely.

Romany used the word 'hoodlum'. I doubt whether it is the right word for him.

What about, 'unpolished brazen'?

I am a layman.
Hope123
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 1:01:36 PM

Hi TMe.

With 3500 lawsuits and many allegations, some proven against him, I think crook or con bs man would fit as well. Look how he ignores emolument clauses right now, and goes to his businesses many times (supposed to be in a blind trust but they aren't) while being paid to run the country. He still refuses to pay workers and professionals he hires and uses threats to stop lawsuits, yet still has many pending against him now. He has used politicians to lower his tax bills. There was a real estate developer where we lived in a small town in Northern Ontario who repeatedly told his workers he'd pay so many cents on the dollar he owed them, and we called HIM a crook.Tradesmen told us they just doubled their prices when quoting to him.

And you'd think with his money T could look polished once in a while. Do up his jacket for one. He most certainly is brazen. I guess nobody on the forum is going to address the Putin meeting this morning.

I did not read either whole article listing all the allegations and lawsuits so obviously did not fact check - too time consuming with such a long list, but just opening them gives you an idea.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/01/donald-trump-scandals/474726/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/06/01/donald-trump-lawsuits-legal-battles/84995854/

But apparently most Republicans like that in a leader as he still has the support of his cult and the old GOP are doing nothing to stop him.

Hope123
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2018 1:16:02 PM

For all presidents, check this link.

http://time.com/5333083/queen-elizabeth-trump-visit-presidents/

philips daughter
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 12:44:25 AM

Neurons: 43,583
Trump is an oaf. But I do like the pics of the Queen and past presidents. She looks so beautiful dancing with Ford and the bond she had with Reagan was amazing and valuable to the US. I heard this analogy, what the US did electing Trump was like a whale beaching itself on the shore. It makes no sense. But it happened.
progpen
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:19:14 AM

Neurons: 297,227
The Queen is one of the most respected people in the world and I think she has earned it many times over. I'm not a royalist, nor do I play one on TV, but seeing the stark contrast between the Queen and the current occupant of the White House and how they each carry themselves is one of the best arguments I've seen in support of royalty.

That said, the anger over protocol violations and loutish behavior just covers up the damage that he is doing elsewhere.

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:11:45 PM

Proggy and PD. A little humour - You've probably seen this - Apparently the Queen likes to use her brooches to imply things. No one can know for sure if she was trolling Tr or not, but she does have a delicious sense of humour. And a huge drawer full of brooches to choose from.

She wore a brooch that the Obamas, out of their own pockets, gave to her - on the day Tr hit the UK. When she met him the next day, she wore a brooch her mother wore to her father's funeral. Maybe meeting him was like a funeral. And the next day while he was still in the UK she wore Canada's gift to her - he's been trolling Canada.

I found the info and photos about the brooches interesting. One of the photos I saw of the Snowflake brooch from Canadians showed how gorgeous it is - sapphires and diamonds. I'll see if I can find that photo again.

Proggy, the whole trip was a disaster - or a triumph in his mind because he did and is doing exactly what he set out to do. Shake up world order, be friends with dictators, destroy democracy in the US so he can join dictators - and do what? Who knows what goes on in that mind of his.

It seems even siding with Putin against his own country is not a red line. Supporters including GOP either winced, shrugged, or applauded.

Hope123
Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 1:49:56 PM

The brooch from Canadians in 2017 recognizes Her Majesty's Sapphire Jubilee in 2017, marking 65 years on the throne.

"The Sapphire Jubilee Snowflake Brooch is adorned with forty-eight Canadian sapphires of various colours and sizes.  The sapphires were discovered by brothers Seemeega and Nowdluk Aqpik in 2002 on Baffin Island.  It is the only known sapphire deposit to be found in Canada to date. The design takes inspiration from the Canadian Arctic and more specifically from the hamlet of Kimmirut on Baffin Island where the sapphires were discovered.  The brooch’s centre is elevated and set with diamonds to represent the rocky hill located across the water from Kimmirut. The shape of the brooch is also emblematic, celebrating the snowy landscape of the Canadian Arctic and the unique nature of the snowflake. ”

https://writeroyalty.com/canadian-snowflake-royal-brooch/

TMe
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:42:18 PM

There is an idiom in Hindi and i.e. कहाँ राजा भोज कहाँ गंगू तेली ( Kahan Raja Bhoj, Kahan Gangu Teli.) King Bhoj was a great emperor. Gangu the oil-seller tried to compare herself with emperor but failed miserably. Hence the idiom.

which means the emperor and a petty mustard oil seller cannot be compared.

In this poster Jawahar Lal Nehru, the first prime minister of India has been depicted as Raja Bhoj and Modi, present PM as Gangu Teli.

I am a layman.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2018 12:50:11 PM

Neurons: 176,780
Ah - but a cat may look at a king.

Wyrd bið ful aræd - bull!
TMe
Posted: Thursday, July 19, 2018 1:21:36 PM

There is an idiom in Hindi कहाँ राजा भोज कहाँ गंगू तेली (Khan Raja Bhoj Khan Gangu teli)

means the celebrated King Bhoj is no way comparable to Gangu the mustard oil-seller. It perfectly fits here.

In this wall poster Jawahar lal Nehru, first Prime Minister of India , the great leader has been compared with Mr Modi present PM.

I am a layman.