The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

For he that does good, having the unlimited power to do evil, deserves praise not only for the good which he performs, but... Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2018 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 77,334
For he that does good, having the unlimited power to do evil, deserves praise not only for the good which he performs, but for the evil which he forbears.

Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832)
KSPavan
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2018 2:10:10 AM

Neurons: 2,761,244
Quotation of the Day

For he that does good, having the unlimited power to do evil, deserves praise not only for the good which he performs, but for the evil which he forbears.

AndySon
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2018 4:16:03 AM

Neurons: 7,737

I could not agree more with this. And, besides all, it totally relates to the human, that human who is able to find the path of righteousness, for the reason that indeed, good and evil are both two components of the power human is endowed with. Unfortunately, there are so many who abuse and misuse this power, and ultimately lose their path, while others still use it for the greater good. Those humans should be valued, indeed.
monamagda
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2018 6:22:36 AM

Neurons: 4,783,490

Context from: Ivanhoe

Chapter XXXIII

------Flower of warriors,
How is't with Titus Lartius?
MARCIUS.--As with a man busied about decrees,
Condemning some to death and some to exile,
Ransoming him or pitying, threatening the other.
Coriolanus

The Black Knight, who had seen with no small interest these various proceedings, now took his leave of the Outlaw in turn; nor could he avoid expressing his surprise at having witnessed so much of civil policy amongst persons cast out from all the ordinary protection and influence of the laws.

"Good fruit, Sir Knight," said the yeoman, "will sometimes grow on a sorry tree; and evil times are not always productive of evil alone and unmixed. Amongst those who are drawn into this lawless state, there are, doubtless, numbers who wish to exercise its license with some moderation, and some who regret, it may be, that they are obliged to follow such a trade at all."

"And to one of those," said the Knight, "I am now, I presume, speaking?"

"Sir Knight," said the Outlaw, "we have each our secret. You are welcome to form your judgment of me, and I may use my conjectures touching you, though neither of our shafts may hit the mark they are shot at. But as I do not pray to be admitted into your mystery, be not offended that I preserve my own."

"I crave pardon, brave Outlaw," said the Knight, "your reproof is just. But it may be we shall meet hereafter with less of concealment on either side.---Meanwhile we part friends, do we not?"

"There is my hand upon it," said Locksley; "and I will call it the hand of a true Englishman, though an outlaw for the present."

"And there is mine in return," said the Knight, "and I hold it honoured by being clasped with yours. For he that does good, having the unlimited power to do evil, deserves praise not only for the good which he performs, but for the evil which he forbears. Fare thee well, gallant Outlaw!" Thus parted that fair fellowship; and He of the Fetterlock, mounting upon his strong war-horse, rode off through the forest.

Read more :http://www.online-literature.com/walter_scott/ivanhoe/33/

Bully_rus
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2018 1:25:44 PM

Neurons: 197,228
Daemon wrote:

The unlimited power to do evil has its own power which is difficult to control...